Leafs’ first round opponent: Boston (who tanked for us)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Washington
Boston
Columbus
Montreal
Tampa
Florida

That's a variety of styles we haven't matched up well against
They’d match up well with Washington. They are pretty much the same team but the Leafs have way more skill.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Imagine telling anyone 6-7 years ago, Bruins will still be better than us 7 years later with no Chara, Bergeron,Krejci or Rask in the league. You'd get banned from the Leafs board under 30s.
No kidding. It’s a total failure of our management both the roster construction is flawed and management refused to make necessary changed when it was obvious this group was not getting it done

Reactions: OddyOh

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
So don't fire anybody, don't shake up the core, then how does the team get better? Everybody is great, yet we are still not better than those teams. Hmm....
I’m not sure if I understand your response to me. I was not the one saying do not fire anyone. I want the entire mess cleaned out if they fail for the 8th year in a row

They’d match up well with Washington. They are pretty much the same team but the Leafs have way more skill.
I’m confused, how can they be the same team if the Leafs have way more skill

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Give me Florida.

I hate losing to Boston. Tired of it.

I'd rather lose to Florida.

Yeah, not exactly a great attitude haha.

IF we were to beat either team though, Boston would be the more amazing feat and very therapeutic.

• Haha

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Who cares who we play. To be the best u beat the best. We win and move on or lose and make changes.
Well that’s not necessarily true, there are teams that we may just have more trouble against, due to their system or their coach just knowing our vulnerabilities better than others.. So if some other team that matches up better against them can knock them out, it may be better for us.

This is one of the problems with playoffs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I’m not sure if I understand your response to me. I was not the one saying do not fire anyone. I want the entire mess cleaned out if they fail for the 8th year in a row

I’m confused, how can they be the same team if the Leafs have way more skill

Sorry amigo, my response was trying to add to your post. I was agreeing with you. It's all good :)

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I have a gnawing feeling about another early exit if we draw Boston or Panthers. I’d like to seek revenge on the Panthers. We lost some close games on bad plays at bad times last playoffs.

Not 100% convinced on our goaltending. We need a prime Bobrovsky or Vasilevskiy type performance from one of them.

We have to hope Domi and Bert can replace O’Reilly’s playoff grit and output from last year. If Knies and McMann can maintain or elevate their play they will give us a solid third line.

Our PK is a worry but we have some games to get it straightened out. Dewar is a nice add. We will see how it goes once Edmundson and Lyubushkin get acclimated.

Physically I like the beef added on the blueline, and if Reaves can play like he has shown in small stretches he can be a factor even if its a game here and there to set a tone. I think the size and speed of Knies, McMann lends themselves to playoff hockey. Dewar seems like a gritty little player.

So there are bright spots. But ultimately I think we again need the core to step up and get elite level goaltending. (Duh). Bring it on, still excited but i think we will be underdogs, which is fine.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Bring either of them on and let’s see what the Leafs have. You have to beat these teams to win the cup anyway.
The Leafs missed their chance in 2020 with the fake covid playoffs and it wasn't even east vs west for the cup. The only hard team was Tampa Bay and that would've been the cup finals. I guess even if they won the cup that year all the haters would say it was a fake playoffs because of the different rules and they'd be right.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I’m hoping for good luck, I’d prefer Florida.

Everyone has said that Boston Leafs is a lock.

I was happy to see Boston in first.

We were dominated 2 straight by Boston.

I can’t see that changing much.

Anyone but Boston IMO.

Yes boston dominated toronto on second but it was not even close to be the case on 1st game where boston had been just extremely opportunist

game one after 40 minute leafs
-scoring chance 27-16 in favor of leafs
-HSC 13- 7 in favor of leafs
-GFX 3.08- 2.07 in leafs favor
but down 0-3
If its your definition of domination, we clearly dont have the same

Whatever who leafs will play, they will need everyone playing at top, goaltending will need to be hot and need some luck in your side... and its true for everyteam in playoff. They're no easy matchup in playoff so whatever who youre playing, you should be ready.

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
I was unsure of it earlier in the season but the grit that now Domi and Bertuzzi are displaying, is peaking at the right time which could make the Leafs a much hard opponent to play against, which will no doubt surprise either Boston or Florida in Game 1 when the Leafs blow them out.

Reactions: authentic

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It doesn't really matter. Both teams have had our number as of late so we need to step up collectively to stand a chance of advancing against either opponent.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Panthers and Bruins faceoff tomorrow night. Loser of the division gets Matty, Sammy and the Leafs and winner gets Kutch, Vasi and the Lightning. Tampa is 6-0-1 since TDL.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Hate to say it, but this team has first round exit written all over it.

And it's special teams that are going to be our downfall yet again.

Feels that way.

IMG_7933.jpeg

2 games in April will determine who the Leafs play …. Beat Florida twice and we’ll play Florida first round.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Capitals are the WC2 team. 7-3 last 10.

IMG_7941.jpeg

Detroit 3-7 in last 10.

Devils are out essentially

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I was unsure of it earlier in the season but the grit that now Domi and Bertuzzi are displaying, is peaking at the right time which could make the Leafs a much hard opponent to play against, which will no doubt surprise either Boston or Florida in Game 1 when the Leafs blow them out.

I'm starting to love the depth on this team but they better figure out the special teams ASAP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad