LD Tarmo Reunanen - Lukko, Liiga (2016, 98th, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think NYr should give him a shot for a few reasons:

1. wifh DeAngelo gone their only true good PP Dman is Fox now

2. their PP has been horrible all season

3. Reunanen is good on the PP - unlike most of the Rangers players he actually moves around on the PP and looks for passing lanes. Also has a good shot

Gorton is very prideful. He bet big on Libor Hajek being the centerpiece in the McDonagh trade, and he's not going to admit defeat to get an average prospect into the lineup.

You aren't wrong. I absolutely think the defense would be a lot better with Reunanen on the third pair than Hajek, but I just don't see that happening. And if Hajek somehow comes out of the lineup its because veterans like JJ and Smith are back, and in the lineup. At least I understand why Bitetto is playing for expansion reasons. Hajek simply sucks, despite being a theoretical prospect. We already sent Rykov back to the KHL, and he'll probably never return because Gorton preferred to give his big trade bet an NHL role he didn't deserve. I hope Reunanen sticks it out and gets more of a chance.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Having watched both of his first two AHL games now, I should say that I don't think he's all that great.

I like the puck-moving he brings. He has a playmaker's mindset, and also scored goals in both games. He's not the fastest skater, but pretty effective. Defensively, he's a little soft. Thats my main complaint. He makes the occasional risky play with the puck in his own zone, but thats not that unusual for a player who looks to keep hold of the puck and make tougher plays than someone whose going to knock the puck around the boards. I don't think he's ever an NHL penalty killer or hugely dynamic offensively, but I think he has a very realistic floor and ceiling that is in the wider range of a bottom pairing puck-moving defensemen. On a team that doesn't have the strongest group of bottom pairing defensemen he should be able to carve out an NHL career.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
5 points in 5 games. He's by far the best defenseman on Harford, and probably the best player. There's no way he's worse than all of JJ, Hajek, Bitetto, and Smith. And all those defenseman are similar in how they play the game. He'd add some much needed passing ability.

The Rangers have made an effort not to call up anyone with performance bonuses because of this stupid rule where you must save cap space for players who clearly won't hit performance bonuses, but Reunanen's performance bonuses are almost nothing. That can't be the reason.

If he plays like this the whole AHL season, I'm sure they'll have to give him a chance at some point, but he really should be in the NHL right now.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fox is on the COVID list, so Reunanen got his NHL debut. Had a very nice assist to Panarin. Played very little. Under 10 minutes. Likely due to the short notice of the situation and that he hasn’t yet practiced with the team. Hopefully he’ll start to play some more.

Reactions: slumpy43 and CLW

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Obviously is an NHL level d-man and should be playing in the NHL
and its not just points either, which he already has almost 20 in the AHL, in 21 games.

Completely agree. The Rangers would be better with Reunanen on the third pair, but Reunanen wasn’t the centerpiece of a deal for the Rangers captain. A GM is going to double and triple down on his errors before giving someone like Reunanen more games.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Having watched both of his first two AHL games now, I should say that I don't think he's all that great.

I like the puck-moving he brings. He has a playmaker's mindset, and also scored goals in both games. He's not the fastest skater, but pretty effective. Defensively, he's a little soft. Thats my main complaint. He makes the occasional risky play with the puck in his own zone, but thats not that unusual for a player who looks to keep hold of the puck and make tougher plays than someone whose going to knock the puck around the boards. I don't think he's ever an NHL penalty killer or hugely dynamic offensively, but I think he has a very realistic floor and ceiling that is in the wider range of a bottom pairing puck-moving defensemen. On a team that doesn't have the strongest group of bottom pairing defensemen he should be able to carve out an NHL career.

5 points in 5 games. He's by far the best defenseman on Harford, and probably the best player. There's no way he's worse than all of JJ, Hajek, Bitetto, and Smith. And all those defenseman are similar in how they play the game. He'd add some much needed passing ability.

The Rangers have made an effort not to call up anyone with performance bonuses because of this stupid rule where you must save cap space for players who clearly won't hit performance bonuses, but Reunanen's performance bonuses are almost nothing. That can't be the reason.

If he plays like this the whole AHL season, I'm sure they'll have to give him a chance at some point, but he really should be in the NHL right now.

The lack of self awareness is stunning.

As is the hilarity. Maybe don't rush to judge a prospects overall ability in just 2 games in a new league? Then you won't look like quite as much of a hot take machine when you offer the complete opposite take bc you stat watch, saw he had 5 in 5 and then stole comments other posters made to make it seem like you know what you're talking about

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The lack of self awareness is stunning.

As is the hilarity. Maybe don't rush to judge a prospects overall ability in just 2 games in a new league? Then you won't look like quite as much of a hot take machine when you offer the complete opposite take bc you stat watch, saw he had 5 in 5 and then stole comments other posters made to make it seem like you know what you're talking about

Calling it like you see it. I like it.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Really curious how much value Tarmo has as a trade chip. With Rangers depth at defense and long list of high end D prospects, think Tarmo is a good chip to put towards acquiring a 3rd line center type for the Rangers. Likely as part of a bigger package though. But he seems like the kind of Dman a few NHL teams could definitely use in their organization right now. If not for this year's NHL season, than maybe next years.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really curious how much value Tarmo has as a trade chip. With Rangers depth at defense and long list of high end D prospects, think Tarmo is a good chip to put towards acquiring a 3rd line center type for the Rangers. Likely as part of a bigger package though. But he seems like the kind of Dman a few NHL teams could definitely use in their organization right now. If not for this year's NHL season, than maybe next years.

He’ll be a throw-in, but he could get NHL games for a weaker team like Buffalo.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad