LD Tarmo Reunanen - Lukko, Liiga (2016, 98th, NYR)

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Well deserved. This kid is quickly climbing. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year he's the highest ranked d prospect in the Rangers system, and that's saying a bit as the Rangers have a number of really solid d prospects. From Rykov to Miller to Lundkvist to Hajek.

not a chance

Reactions: Lays

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He’s not close to any one of the 4 you mentioned and he’d have to develop like crazy next year to even be in the conversation with them

Having seen all 4, I totally disagree. The gaps not that big. At that start of the year I'd agree, but what this kid has been doing for Lukko is impressive. Not sure if you caught any of the playoffs recently, but he was exceptional. He's a real play driver and took his game up to a whole new level.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t know that he’s that far off those players, but behind for now. I don’t think any of them are definite top half of the league defensemen. If someone breaks out, its not a hard system to become the top defenseman in. He could have the best potential of all those players. At the very least, he’s probably the best offensive defenseman of the four.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He must be starting in the AHL. We have way too many defensemen. I would've preferred that he play another year in Liiga, but if there's enough minutes for him, its a higher level of play and maybe he can make the step up.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Many people seem to find Finnish hockey names funny/cool/etc.
For a Finnish speaker Tarmo Reunanen is a pretty sweet name. It, like Teuvo Teräväinen, sounds like a character from a 50's boys' adventure book.

That's my contribution to the thread...

Noma

He must be starting in the AHL. We have way too many defensemen. I would've preferred that he play another year in Liiga, but if there's enough minutes for him, its a higher level of play and maybe he can make the step up.

According to Lukko's announcement, Reunanen's contract says he will play in Liiga if he doesn't make the Rangers out of camp.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Many people seem to find Finnish hockey names funny/cool/etc.
For a Finnish speaker Tarmo Reunanen is a pretty sweet name. It, like Teuvo Teräväinen, sounds like a character from a 50's boys' adventure book.

That's my contribution to the thread...

As a subscriber to the “hockey names are important” theory of drafting and prospect evaluation, I wholeheartedly support this post.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cut from the NHL roster since we went from 36 to 32, but I liked a lot of what I saw. I try not to take much from the prospects tournament, but Reunanen undoubtedly was really good at that tournament and then he looked good in the one preseason game he got.

He was never going to make the team this year and next year isn’t going to be a shoe-in either with the amount of good defensive prospects we have, but I think he has a chance to make the team next year. Some players will definitely be weeded out by then and spots will open up.

On a team that doesn’t have NHL ready depth in defensemen prospects like Fox, Hajek, Rykov and Lindgren, he might’ve made the team or been the last cut. He doesn’t look that far from being NHL ready.

Reactions: bl02 and Keke

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's struggled a lot this season, but he's starting to pick it up. 4 points in his last 3 games, including two assists today, and now he's at 12 points in 34 games. He's not that far off the points per game average he had last season, although some of the struggles have also been defensive.

This is on the same team that Heinola is struggling on, so maybe it's more than just both players struggling individually. It could be coaching, if two good defensemen prospects are struggling on Lukko this season.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
16 games this season, 5 goals, 9 assists, 14 points, +8 with 16 penalty minutes (AHL games included)

2 goals, 1 assist, 3 points in first 2 AHL games.
Should be prefaced with 7 of those games being in the Finnish second Division, but he seems to be doing pretty good at the AHL level so far. Would like to see him get a shot with the big team

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I think NYr should give him a shot for a few reasons:

1. wifh DeAngelo gone their only true good PP Dman is Fox now

2. their PP has been horrible all season

3. Reunanen is good on the PP - unlike most of the Rangers players he actually moves around on the PP and looks for passing lanes. Also has a good shot

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I think NYr should give him a shot for a few reasons:

1. wifh DeAngelo gone their only true good PP Dman is Fox now

2. their PP has been horrible all season

3. Reunanen is good on the PP - unlike most of the Rangers players he actually moves around on the PP and looks for passing lanes. Also has a good shot
totally agree with this, plus Reunanen has very good skating and is solid on his edgework, could be a solid QB for the 2nd unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->