LD Tarmo Reunanen - Lukko, Liiga (2016, 98th, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=221513

Reunanen was regarded as one of the best prospects for the 2016 draft in Finland a year ago, and missed almost all of last season with a spinal disc herniation, from what I have read. This season, he might be playing with TPS in Liiga, and if not, he'll play in Mestis. He has started the preseason off well with TPS. Hopefully we can get some updates this season from the Finnish posters in this section.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Saw him at Rauma yesterday. Scored a great goal from the point with I guess slapshot. Has poise with the puck and you can't help but but notice that he reminds me even a tiny bit Shayne Gostisbehere. Same size same number, and is good on PP. From what I saw he made couple of good defensive plays with his stick to cut pucks out of his zone.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He played his first official game for TPS today.

How did he play?

You guys are so active on the Prospect Board. Please help us out Finns. :laugh:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Reunanen has been loaned to Mestis (Finnish 2nd tier pro league) for an unspecified amount of time. His new club will be TUTO Hockey.

TPS released the news on their website (in Finnish).

ijuka

May 14, 2016
In short: He was good in CHL and practice games and they want him to go to the lower tier league so that he can play in a larger role than he could in Liiga.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
In short: He was good in CHL and practice games and they want him to go to the lower tier league so that he can play in a larger role than he could in Liiga.

Makes sense for his development. He also came off a really bad injury from last season.

This is probably the best move for him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's starting to get his game going. The past two seasons have been very uneven.

4 points in 12 games. Now playing for Lukko. He's played 20 or more minutes half of the games. Still young enough to get to the NHL.

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
Tarmo has been really impressive this season, I would say he is the most important dman in Lukko right now. It is really exciting to watch him handle the puck with such confidence and smoothness.

Give one more season and he is ready to make an impact in NA.

3+8 in 29 games this season so far, 4 points in the last 3 games with one period left to play.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Of course, with defensemen such as these it often takes time.

I think that Markus Nutivaara could be a good thought experiment here. He didn't really break out until his u22 season, during which he was a very important defenseman for Kärpät. Afterwards, he became a very solid NHL player. I think that such an outcome is quite possible for Reunanen. Of course, I don't think that he's quite at the level of Nutivaara. But still, an NHL player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He missed nearly his whole draft season. He was a year behind his draft class in development, but he has talent. He's showing it now.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
16 points in 38 games. 51.8 CF% at 5 on 5. Hasn't played less than 24 minutes in over a month. Looking like a very good pick.

It’s always been a “good pick” imo (and also what the consensus was)
He’s just finally showing it when given consistent minutes, didn’t Gordie or someone say that he was a first round talent?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It’s always been a “good pick” imo (and also what the consensus was)
He’s just finally showing it when given consistent minutes, didn’t Gordie or someone say that he was a first round talent?
I'm not sure who it was who initially said that, but IIRC on the day he was drafted I said that he was supposed to be a first round talent but his season got completely derailed by injuries, on the rangers board I believe. He was ranked well into the first before those injuries, slightly less than a year before he was drafted. It's good that he's being able to live up to those expectations somewhat.

I have really liked what I've seen out of him and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a Nutivaara-type trajectory.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
I feel like the Rangers would be very interested in having him come over next season if he finishes as strongly as he's playing now.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

What a great year he’s having. He’s also playing a ton of minutes. Not listed as their 1D but usually plays 1D mins on that team

A lot of us Rangers fans really lost hope for Reunanen after last year. Was bouncing around a lot but he’s now getting great ice time seemingly out of nowhere

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019
If somebody thinking Reunanen is ready to move AHL/NHL he is not even close that. He does too much mistakes in the every game, defensive playing is pretty bad and his playing style is too complex for defenseman. Liiga is best place for Reunanen next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->