LD Tarmo Reunanen - Lukko, Liiga (2016, 98th, NYR)

JoukoPouko

I agree that he missed some time due to injuries, but he's also had a huge jump in development this season. He went from a player who was in and out of the lineup last season and not all too productive to a 1D on a good Liiga team this season. Outside of the best players from the 2016 draft, how many are far ahead of Reunanen? I don't see him as being behind in development due to his injuries. The injuries might've hurt his ability to develop into a premier prospect who went in the first round and was playing in the NHL within a season or two after being drafted. I don't view him as being an NHL long shot though. Reunanen has developed into one of the better prospects picked later than the 2nd round in 2016.
You're focusing on his offensive production. His issues are elsewhere. He needs development time to improve his all-around game.

He also wasn't a 1D on Lukko. They had 5 defensemen they relied on, and Tarmo was one of them. A top-four defenseman is a more accurate description. He's had a very good season which puts him back on the map as a potential bottom-pair defenseman. But there's no reason to try to make it look better than what it was.

I watched a ton of Lukko games this season because of Ville Heinola, and as an all-around defenseman, the 3 years younger Heinola was better than Reunanen. Heinola ate a lot of Reunanen's minutes already this season, and that's a potential problem for next season when Heinola will likely be a legitimate 1D for Lukko - not sure there's room for Reunanen to grow further there.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're focusing on his offensive production. His issues are elsewhere. He needs development time to improve his all-around game.

He also wasn't a 1D on Lukko. They had 5 defensemen they relied on, and Tarmo was one of them. A top-four defenseman is a more accurate description. He's had a very good season which puts him back on the map as a potential bottom-pair defenseman. But there's no reason to try to make it look better than what it was.

I watched a ton of Lukko games this season because of Ville Heinola, and as an all-around defenseman, the 3 years younger Heinola was better than Reunanen. Heinola ate a lot of Reunanen's minutes already this season, and that's a potential problem for next season when Heinola will likely be a legitimate 1D for Lukko - not sure there's room for Reunanen to grow further there.

He played huge minutes for a large stretch of the season. He had 22 games in a row of more than 20 minutes, and he played nearly 30 minutes in two of those games. He ended up with the second highest TOI among the defensemen at over 21 per game. There was a player who played about a minute more per game, but Reunanen played more than that player when he was playing his best hockey of the season. Also, he had over a 50% corsi percentage. This idea that he struggled defensively seems rather new, and I think its come about due to some uneven defensive performances during a stretch of a week or two. He also played in all situations.

Heinola is a good player, but to make it seem like Heinola is going to definitely overtake Reunanen is unfair to Reunanen. He played less per game this season than Reunanen did. Why would he play more next season than Reunanen did?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

Reunanen played mostly top pair after the new year though, he wasn’t just a top 4 for them he was playing heavy minutes. I agree that Heinola is better though

JoukoPouko

He played huge minutes for a large stretch of the season. He had 22 games in a row of more than 20 minutes, and he played nearly 30 minutes in two of those games. He ended up with the second highest TOI among the defensemen at over 21 per game. There was a player who played about a minute more per game, but Reunanen played more than that player when he was playing his best hockey of the season. Also, he had over a 50% corsi percentage. This idea that he struggled defensively seems rather new, and I think its come about due to some uneven defensive performances during a stretch of a week or two. He also played in all situations.

Heinola is a good player, but to make it seem like Heinola is going to definitely overtake Reunanen is unfair to Reunanen. He played less per game this season than Reunanen did. Why would he play more next season than Reunanen did?
Reunanen played big minutes when Heinola was out of the lineup. They both averaged about 21 minutes after Heinola returned from his injury.

Everyone I've talked to who has watched Lukko frequently has talked about Reunanen's struggles. It's mostly about his decision-making. That's been a common theme throughout the season, not just over the past weeks.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Uh, are you serious? He's barely 18 years old, the trajectory...

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Reunanen played big minutes when Heinola was out of the lineup. They both averaged about 21 minutes after Heinola returned from his injury.

Everyone I've talked to who has watched Lukko frequently has talked about Reunanen's struggles. It's mostly about his decision-making. That's been a common theme throughout the season, not just over the past weeks.

Heinola played nearly two and a half minutes less per game on the season.

I don't know who you've talked to, but from what I've read from reliable sources, Reunanen has played well this season. I hadn't read anything about these struggles until recent weeks. Why is that? He has a thread here that is updated regularly. Not once were these struggles mentioned.

I have not watched any of his games, so I can't say I have much of an opinion, but what I've read and what one or two Finnish posters have posted here in recent weeks seems to conflict. It doesn't make much sense. Thats why I think this is probably an overreaction due to some recent struggles, but I could be wrong.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Uh, are you serious? He's barely 18 years old, the trajectory...

Why wouldn't I be serious? Heinola played a lot less per game this season. Can Reunanen not improve? He's only three years younger, he showed huge development in his game this season, and he might be a bigger talent than Heinola.

Reunanen lost a lot of development time due to injuries. Prior to being drafted, he was one of the best Finnish players in his draft class. Then he got injured, and its held him back. He's finally healthy, and playing very well.

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019
He's only three years younger, he showed huge development in his game this season, and he might be a bigger talent than Heinola.
Did u even watch Lukko games? Heinola having very high hockey iq and he will do 30-40 points next season, age 18. Reunanen did 25 point, age 20. Heinola is better teamplayer than Reunanen. Reunanen is good soloplayer but still unfinished like EHT tier player. Still need a lot job with some stuffs. Defensive playing biggest weakness.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Did u even watch Lukko games? Heinola having very high hockey iq and he will do 30-40 points next season, age 18. Reunanen did 25 point, age 20. Heinola is better teamplayer than Reunanen. Reunanen is good soloplayer but still unfinished like EHT tier player. Still need a lot job with some stuffs. Defensive playing biggest weakness.

He doesn't watch Lukko games. His comments about ice time indicate as much.

Reactions: FinnishSniper

JoukoPouko

Heinola played nearly two and a half minutes less per game on the season.

I don't know who you've talked to, but from what I've read from reliable sources, Reunanen has played well this season. I hadn't read anything about these struggles until recent weeks. Why is that? He has a thread here that is updated regularly. Not once were these struggles mentioned.

I have not watched any of his games, so I can't say I have much of an opinion, but what I've read and what one or two Finnish posters have posted here in recent weeks seems to conflict. It doesn't make much sense. Thats why I think this is probably an overreaction due to some recent struggles, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, well, if you don't understand how a 17-year-old defenseman might start his rookie pro season with lower ice time and how that affects his season average, then I don't really know what to tell you. Good luck I guess.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who would that be? You are referring to me, although I think if you read my posts in this thread, its clear that isn't true. Thats not the first time though that you have tried to be intellectually dishonest.

I'll pose this question to any of those people who are now claiming Reunanen's play wasn't as it was portrayed for most of the season. If Reunanen has struggled with the defensive game this season and anyone who questions this viewpoint only looks at EP, why hasn't it been mentioned in this thread? This thread has regular activity. 14 posts from October-March, all of which mentioned his play in a positive manner. There were even fans of the team who were posting about his play in a positive manner. Did they also only look at his EP page?

It all seems very confusing how nearly everything points towards Reunanen playing a solid all-around game this season, but here are a few posters who have come to correct the record after he had a bad stretch defensively and now they are telling us thats not the case and he's struggled defensively all season. Could any of you see why that might be confusing?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Who would that be? You are referring to me, although I think if you read my posts in this thread, its clear that isn't true. Thats not the first time though that you have tried to be intellectually dishonest.

I'll pose this question to any of those people who are now claiming Reunanen's play wasn't as it was portrayed for most of the season. If Reunanen has struggled with the defensive game this season and anyone who questions this viewpoint only looks at EP, why hasn't it been mentioned in this thread? This thread has regular activity. 14 posts from October-March, all of which mentioned his play in a positive manner. There were even fans of the team who were posting about his play in a positive manner. Did they also only look at his EP page?

It all seems very confusing how nearly everything points towards Reunanen playing a solid all-around game this season, but here are a few posters who have come to correct the record after he had a bad stretch defensively and now they are telling us thats not the case and he's struggled defensively all season. Could any of you see why that might be confusing?
He’s not bad defensively but he’s inconsistent and makes mistakes. He’s a young defenseman who had a massive bump in minutes this season after being bounced around. Struggle is expected, Tarmo has been great offensively and his transition game looks good. His defense will slowly come around

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019
I'll pose this question to any of those people who are now claiming Reunanen's play wasn't as it was portrayed for most of the season. I
I have watched 67 Lukko games this season. Reunanen Lukko U20 two games too. I will know something about him. He is good with the puck, not without it. He need focus all-around, defensive and team playing next season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He’s not bad defensively but he’s inconsistent and makes mistakes. He’s a young defenseman who had a massive bump in minutes this season after being bounced around. Struggle is expected, Tarmo has been great offensively and his transition game looks good. His defense will slowly come around

He needs another year in Finland before he comes over. Guys like Lindell, Vatanen and Niku came over to NA at age 21 but Reunanen has only really had 1 full season in Liiga. Injuries and the depth in Turku prevented him from playing meaningful minutes for a full season earlier. Same goes for Rykov by the way. The two have a lot in common

Reactions: FinnishSniper

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
He have definitely NHL potential but he is definitely not near. He has too much flaws with his decision making.

Young players often tends to have good and bad stretches. When season progresses we make our mind about players. Like Girardi in NYR. At first he wasn't so bad but when time passed his faults were pointed out.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
2 points in the first period.

Now he has 5 points in 3 games during the playoffs - With 2 periods of the 3rd game left to play.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Everyone I've talked to who has watched Lukko frequently .
That right there is the difference between them and the guy you're talking to

I don't know who you've talked to, but from what I've read from reliable sources,

I have not watched any of his games,
omg I was just joking. Wow. Stop talking pb

Lots of whining about Finns pumping the tires of their prospects, but the people who come into these threads with only eliteprospects.com as their source are 10 times worse.
If there's "lots of whining" then I guess that means lots of people agree. Must be something to it.

Also PB gets ripped to shreds everywhere he goes for his stat watching bs. Your defense for yourself is that you're not as bad as the guy everyone hates on in every thread. Pretty low bar you're cresting

Also whining? What exactly was said that was whining? If you're thinking of me then I should remind u what was actually said.

From the beginning all I said was that a small handful of Finnish posters post with more regional bias and arrogant pride than most of the board. I did NOT talk about pumping tires and I said it was only a small handful of posters doing it. That's it. You guys starting crying and getting all upset . You acted like I spat on a flag bc I said a FEW posters were overly arrogant and prideful.

If a bunch of other people are now pointing it out that's probably bc they noticed it too. Maybe it's true...

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Called up to the Finnish National Team.

Well deserved. This kid is quickly climbing. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year he's the highest ranked d prospect in the Rangers system, and that's saying a bit as the Rangers have a number of really solid d prospects. From Rykov to Miller to Lundkvist to Hajek.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Well deserved. This kid is quickly climbing. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year he's the highest ranked d prospect in the Rangers system, and that's saying a bit as the Rangers have a number of really solid d prospects. From Rykov to Miller to Lundkvist to Hajek.
He’s not close to any one of the 4 you mentioned and he’d have to develop like crazy next year to even be in the conversation with them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->