LD Tarmo Reunanen - Lukko, Liiga (2016, 98th, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Defensive playing:

Ässät tekee maalin

Typical mistake in every game:

Ässät tekee maalin

Are you sure he's not just having a few bad games? Admittedly, I'm not watching these games, but he has good point totals this season, he has good corsi stats this season, he's played 1D minutes this season and he's gotten praise from those who have watched him play throughout the season.

I don't see the problem with him staying another season in Liiga. There's no rush to get him over here, but I'm not exactly sure there's a convincing case that he's not having a good season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
There are some complaints about him playing an overly complicated game in his own zone.

Today he essentially was the main cause for the opposing team coming back from a 3 goal deficit but it happens.

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019
Are you sure he's not just having a few bad games? Admittedly, I'm not watching these games, but he has good point totals this season, he has good corsi stats this season, he's played 1D minutes this season and he's gotten praise from those who have watched him play throughout the season.

I don't see the problem with him staying another season in Liiga. There's no rush to get him over here, but I'm not exactly sure there's a convincing case that he's not having a good season.
He does those things almost in every game. He have games where he does 0-5 bad choises like 1 in 5 games. He need play more with hockey iq and start doing good choises everytime and give easy assist. After that he is ready maybe for AHL.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He also was +1 in plus/minus. Well, pointless stat yeah but...

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He also was +1 in plus/minus. Well, pointless stat yeah but...

What are you trying to say? I’m merely updating the thread that he had a point. I wasn’t responding to your comment. I don’t have an assessment of games I don’t watch.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What are you trying to say? I’m merely updating the thread that he had a point. I wasn’t responding to your comment. I don’t have an assessment of games I don’t watch.
That it likely wasn't that disastrous a game after all.

... I wasn't talking to you, it was a general statement. To you he might be a Rangers prospect, to me he's a Finn and I'm interested in Finns.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Every Liiga contract has out clause for the NHL. He isn't ready yet though like others said.

"close to NHL ready", is he ready for fulltime NHL? No. I think he should be in the AHL for most of 2019-20. Where he's at now is in terms of performance and composure reminds me of Lindell.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
"close to NHL ready", is he ready for fulltime NHL? No. I think he should be in the AHL for most of 2019-20. Where he's at now is in terms of performance and composure reminds me of Lindell.
I should've added that one word to my post. I fully understood what you were saying.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he should play another season in Liiga. Then he can sign with the Rangers, and see where he stacks up. That could be an NHL player immediately or it might be better to start him in the AHL. I don’t think we can yet determine where it’s best for him to play in two seasons.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Another year in the Liiga and then 1-2 years in the AHL seems like a realistic projection before he's knocking on the door for an NHL spot.

Two AHL seasons would be excessive, if he's an NHL caliber prospect. He'd be 24 at the end of those two AHL seasons. Most good NHL prospects are ready no later than 22-23.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's missed a ton of development time due to injuries, so he's a bit behind most others in his development. A lot of bottom-pair defensemen don't play in the NHL until they're 24.

He missed some time due to injuries, but he's also had a huge jump in development this season. He went from a player who was in and out of the lineup last season and not all too productive to a 1D on a good Liiga team this season. Outside of the best players from the 2016 draft, how many are far ahead of Reunanen? I don't see him as being behind in development due to his injuries. The injuries might've hurt his ability to develop into a premier prospect who went in the first round and was playing in the NHL within a season or two after being drafted. I don't view him as being an NHL long shot though. Reunanen has developed into one of the better prospects picked later than the 2nd round in 2016.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->