LD Rasmus Sandin - Rogle BK, SHL (2018, 29th, TOR)

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
This was a tune up game for the main roster. All of the top 4 played in this game, and got the kind of ice time they'll get in the regular season. That didn't leave much for the third pair.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sandin plays in both of the remaining preseason games this weekend vs Detroit.

Yup, he's in the lineup for Friday's game with the AHL squad along with Marincin. They should get a big role in that one. Barring some surprise you have to think he's a shoo-in at this point.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
15 months later and he is about to be one of the youngest dmen in the NHL
bad take man

How about this take 16 months ago?

"I think Svechnikov is a clear tier above.
Zadina vs Pettersson would be a good debate though"

Every poster has skeletons in the wardrobe, so stop fooling around!

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
What's his offensive potential look like?

Well, I don't think he's going to be a high point type of player... probably around a 30 point guy with consistency... he's less of a play driver and more of a smart transition D (we've been basically calling him lidstrom light on the Leafs board because of how good he's been)

But this is ignoring the fact he plays on a high power offensive team so he could be capable of 40-50+ with PP time possibly... whenever he transitions to top pair if he continues to progress like he has.

His early years he'll probably be like jaccob slavin has been the last couple seasons.

but it's hard to gauge accurately because his trajectory is off the charts right now. It's so rare that a defenseman is this good, this young. Last time we had one like this was Rielly... before that was Kaberle... and they put up some damn big numbers in their career (and Rielly is still young obv)... but they were good for different reasons.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Well, I don't think he's going to be a high point type of player... probably around a 30 point guy with consistency... he's less of a play driver and more of a smart transition D (we've been basically calling him lidstrom light on the Leafs board because of how good he's been)

But this is ignoring the fact he plays on a high power offensive team so he could be capable of 40-50+ with PP time possibly... whenever he transitions to top pair if he continues to progress like he has.

His early years he'll probably be like jaccob slavin has been the last couple seasons.

but it's hard to gauge accurately because his trajectory is off the charts right now. It's so rare that a defenseman is this good, this young. Last time we had one like this was Rielly... before that was Kaberle... and they put up some damn big numbers in their career (and Rielly is still young obv)... but they were good for different reasons.

I actually disagree. He produces in the AHL for fun. His poise, ability to pass, stickhandling and transition game makes me think his offensive ceiling is much higher.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I've seen some highlights floating around on Twitter.. but havnt been able to see a single Leafs game in the pre-season.
Has he looked good outside of the high material?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
What a beauty of a pick by the Leafs. Great teams need to pick smart in the later rounds and they've got two very good prospects in Sandin and Robertson the last 2 drafts.

Later rounds? Sandin and Robertson were 1st and 2nd round picks respectively.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I've seen some highlights floating around on Twitter.. but havnt been able to see a single Leafs game in the pre-season.

He's been great. From day 1 of camp he quite literally went out and took a spot on this team.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Not only has he stolen a spot from guys with NHL experience (Schmaltz, Harpur, etc.), he looks like a top 4 defender today. That may change as the competition gets stiffer, but he's looked like one of the best players on the ice even during games where the Leafs are icing their projected reg season lineup.

There's really no weakness in his game. Highlight packs don't do a player like Sandin justice - it's the subtleties in his game that make him special.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
2 assists in 5 games.
Nice, thank you for the answer. Otherwise, has he looked dangerous? Has he pushed the pace? Ive watched two games so far, one against the Habs and the other yesterday and I saw a lot of the same criticism I had of him in his draft year, and what ultimately lead me to rank him in the 40s.

Kid has top 4 written all over him, dont get me wrong.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nice, thank you for the answer. Otherwise, has he looked dangerous? Has he pushed the pace? Ive watched two games so far, one against the Habs and the other yesterday and I saw a lot of the same criticism I had of him in his draft year, and what ultimately lead me to rank him in the 40s.

Kid has top 4 written all over him, dont get me wrong.

He's processes the game and controls the pace at a top-4 level already, just needs to bulk up really.

I wouldn't say he looks dangerous on any one given play, but everything he does serves to move the puck in the right direction. He's never going to be a one-man show like Karlsson, but he's already great at making life easy for his teammates.

Reactions: bukwas

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's processes the game and controls the pace at a top-4 level already, just needs to bulk up really.

I wouldn't say he looks dangerous on any one given play, but everything he does serves to move the puck in the right direction. He's never going to be a one-man show like Karlsson, but he's already great at making life easy for his teammates.
Yup, exactly what Ive seen in his draft year. Hes one smart kid. Lets hope this draft yields 40 first pair D and firt line forward because it will be a fail on my part otherwise.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yup, exactly what Ive seen in his draft year. Hes one smart kid. Lets hope this draft yields 40 first pair D and firt line forward because it will be a fail on my part otherwise.

I don't think anyone saw this coming to be honest. I was disappointed with the pick and figured we'd have a safe #4/5 if things went well. His playstyle doesn't stand out at the junior level because his teammates aren't thinking the game nearly as fast as he is, and he doesn't have the individual skillset to pretend to be Karlsson.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think anyone saw this coming to be honest. I was disappointed with the pick and figured we'd have a safe #4/5 if things went well. His playstyle doesn't stand out at the junior level because his teammates aren't thinking the game nearly as fast as he is, and he doesn't have the individual skillset to pretend to be Karlsson.
Well, what I didnt see coming was that hed make it so quick. I was pretty sure hed be a second pair type of guy that you want on a good team, didnt think hed do that at 20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad