LD Rasmus Sandin - Rogle BK, SHL (2018, 29th, TOR)

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Ive watched two games so far, one against the Habs and the other yesterday and I saw a lot of the same criticism I had of him in his draft year, and what ultimately lead me to rank him in the 40s.

You also think Josh Brook is the best defensive prospect outside the NHL, and if he were to play for the Habs this year would be better than PK Subban, so I'll take your criticism as a compliment for Sandin.

Reactions: teddygmr

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You also think Josh Brook is the best defensive prospect outside the NHL, and if he were to play for the Habs this year would be better than PK Subban, so I'll take your criticism as a compliment for Sandin.
Looked like a top 4 D in the preseason, but dont let that get in the way of your bickering.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Nice, thank you for the answer. Otherwise, has he looked dangerous? Has he pushed the pace? Ive watched two games so far, one against the Habs and the other yesterday and I saw a lot of the same criticism I had of him in his draft year, and what ultimately lead me to rank him in the 40s.

Kid has top 4 written all over him, dont get me wrong.
His skating and smarts have stood out all camp really. Early on he seemed kind of hesitant to assert himself up into the play but as he has gotten more time he has looked more and more confident with the puck on his stick. Doesn't exactly look like he has an amazing shot. He has also shown that despite his size he isn't afraid to throw his body around a bit(Never going to be a bruiser but when he needs to he can separate the man). To me this pre-season has kind of solidified his floor. With his skating and first pass ability I don't see how he doesn't slot in as a top 4 guy in the NHL. The questions is whether he has offense to his game as well at the NHL level. But if he tops out as a guy that can carry a 2nd pairing and chip in 30-40 points that is a win in my books.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
His skating and smarts have stood out all camp really. Early on he seemed kind of hesitant to assert himself up into the play but as he has gotten more time he has looked more and more confident with the puck on his stick. Doesn't exactly look like he has an amazing shot. He has also shown that despite his size he isn't afraid to throw his body around a bit(Never going to be a bruiser but when he needs to he can separate the man). To me this pre-season has kind of solidified his floor. With his skating and first pass ability I don't see how he doesn't slot in as a top 4 guy in the NHL. The questions is whether he has offense to his game as well at the NHL level. But if he tops out as a guy that can carry a 2nd pairing and chip in 30-40 points that is a win in my books.
Hes already a win, IMO. To be so good, so early cant be a loss.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Looked like a top 4 D in the preseason, but dont let that get in the way of your bickering.

No bickering, just straight facts from me, as always.

Your prospect evaluation simply isn't very good, as evidence suggests in multiple threads for all to see.

In this thread alone, your evaluation on Sandin is very suspect and not at all accurate.

When it comes to Montreal, it's not even suspect, it's laughable. Having Brook as the top Defensive prospect in hockey is just one of many examples.

Now, back on topic.

I agree, Sandin has most definitely looked like a top 4 Dman in preseason, which is why he has earned a spot in the opening night lineup and hasn't been sent to the AHL, like others.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No bickering, just straight facts from me, as always.

Your prospect evaluation simply isn't very good, as evidence suggests in multiple threads for all to see.

In this thread alone, your evaluation on Sandin is very suspect and not at all accurate.

When it comes to Montreal, it's not even suspect, it's laughable. Having Brook as the top Defensive prospect in hockey is just one of many examples.

Now, back on topic.

I agree, Sandin has most definitely looked like a top 4 Dman in preseason, which is why he has earned a spot in the opening night lineup and hasn't been sent to the AHL, like others.

Says my opinion is suspect
Agrees with me

Brook certainly is not the best D prospect in hockey, I dont think Ive said that once.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
No wonder really, nice to see him doing so well. Really underrated all of last season for some reason.

TBH, with Sandin Leafs D's looking pretty strong this season. A lot to worry about in a year but for this next season they're golden.

Dermott should be back by the end of October as well, and really round out that blueline. Best they've had in a really long time.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
No wonder really, nice to see him doing so well. Really underrated all of last season for some reason.

TBH, with Sandin Leafs D's looking pretty strong this season. A lot to worry about in a year but for this next season they're golden.

Dermott, Rielly, Sandin, and one of Muzzin/Barrie is still an excellent top 4.

Reactions: Lilou

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

You might be right but who knows what each of the Ufa command. I do agree they have decent shot at nabbing one providing the cap rises a decent amount. Lil is also seemingly close so ideally they plug him in next year in a sheltered role.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
You might be right but who knows what each of the Ufa command. I do agree they have decent shot at nabbing one providing the cap rises a decent amount. Lil is also seemingly close so ideally they plug him in next year in a sheltered role.
His solid camp/preseason kind of got blinded by the Sandin hype train headlight but he quietly went about acquitting himself nicely. Obviously Babcock and co. don't share the talking heads tendency to fixate on one singly topic so i'm confident they were pleased.
Sure would like to see an option other than Marty to pair with Sandin. I'm not sure the gap in their ability to process the game isn't going to lead to problems.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
His solid camp/preseason kind of got blinded by the Sandin hype train headlight but he quietly went about acquitting himself nicely. Obviously Babcock and co. don't share the talking heads tendency to fixate on one singly topic so i'm confident they were pleased.
Sure would like to see an option other than Marty to pair with Sandin. I'm not sure the gap in their ability to process the game isn't going to lead to problems.

Marincin is a good area defender. The goals they'll let in will look bad, but they'll tend to be one-off situations that get misplayed instead of a systemic issue that gets repeatedly exploited.

There are going to be highlight reel goals against that pairing, but their actual goals against will be low.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, I meant that they will need to be signing all non-Rielly Ds to new contracts.

And well, yes, assuming Barrie is the one. I'm not very high on Muzzin, never been. Barrie's better than Gardiner, who was really good for Leafs, though.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Well, I meant that they will need to be signing all non-Rielly Ds to new contracts.

And well, yes, assuming Barrie is the one. I'm not very high on Muzzin, never been. Barrie's better than Gardiner, who was really good for Leafs, though.

I don’t know about you but I don’t see an issue signing Barrie and Dermott with the $16m or so in cap space next year and using the rest to sign up all the league min fodder that are expiring along with them :dunno:

with the LTIR weight coming off, Ceci coming off (who for all we know will be someone to resign) and the cap going up it’s not worry we have ahead it just gets easier moving forward.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don’t know about you but I don’t see an issue signing Barrie and Dermott with the $16m or so in cap space next year and using the rest to sign up all the league min fodder that are expiring along with them :dunno:

with the LTIR weight coming off, Ceci coming off (who for all we know will be someone to resign) and the cap going up it’s not worry we have ahead it just gets easier moving forward.
Dermott's fine, but I think it's curious how people act like a Barrie extension is a done deal when he's going to be a UFA.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Dermott's fine, but I think it's curious how people act like a Barrie extension is a done deal when he's going to be a UFA.

One of Barrie or Muzzin most likely if not then someone else. Like I said next season is easier. There were a number of operations that needed to make this season work and Dubas did it. He started at the previous TDL with Muzzin, got Kapanen and AJ on team friendly deals, shipped Kadri for both his cheaper younger replacement and Barrie retained. And moved out Marleau.

He already started on next season by clearing out Zaitsev and Ceci. All I’m saying that next year we don’t need Barrie, we need 2 top 4 RHD. However that manifests is going to be a much easier task than what he accomplished last offseason. Sandin being NHL ready so early is just a bonus really. Pretty exciting overall, not worrying.

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Nice, thank you for the answer. Otherwise, has he looked dangerous? Has he pushed the pace? Ive watched two games so far, one against the Habs and the other yesterday and I saw a lot of the same criticism I had of him in his draft year, and what ultimately lead me to rank him in the 40s.

Kid has top 4 written all over him, dont get me wrong.

Can you post your list? I am very curious about which 40 players you had ahead of him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Can you post your list? I am very curious about which 40 players you had ahead of him.
1-Rasmus Dahlin Franchise Medium
2-Andrei Svechnikov Franchise Medium
3-Jesperi Kotkaniemi Elite Medium
4-Adam Boqvist Franchise Low
5-Filip Zadina Elite medium
6-Noah Dobson Top 4 High
7-Quinn Hughes Franchise low
8-Brady Tkachuk Top 6 high
9-Vitali Kravtsov Elite Low
10-Alexander Alexeyev Elite Low
11-Ty Smith Elite Low
12-Nils Lundkvist Elite low
13-Oliver Wahlstrom Elite low
14-Evan Bouchard Elite Low
15- Jonathan Berggren Elite Low
16- Joel Farabee Top 6 medium
17- Alexander Khovanov Top 6 Medium
18- Grigori Denisenko Elite Low
19- Dominik Bokk Top 6 medium
20- Ty Dellandrea Top 6 medium
21- Isac Lundestrom Top 6 Low
22- Calen Addison Top 4 Medium
23- Rasmus Kupari Top 6 Low
24- Jacob Bernard Docker Top 4 Medium
25- Jonny Tychonick Top 6 Medium
26- Bode Wilde Top 4 Medium
27-Joe Veleno Top 9 High
28- Akil Thomas Top 9 Medium
29- Jesse Ylonen Top 6 Medium
30- Jake Wise Top 6 Low
31- Martin Kaut Top 9 High
32-Cole Fonstad Top 6 Low
33- David Gustafsson Top 6 Low
34- Blake McLaughlin Top 6 Low
35-Barret Hayton Top 9 Medium
36-Filip Hallander Top 9 High
37-Jacob Olofsson top 9 medium
38-Jay O’brien WHO FN KNOWS REALLY
39-Jack Drury Top 9 Medium
40- Blade Jenkins Top 6 Medium
41-Rasmus Sandin Top 6 High
42-K’andre Miller Top 4 Low
43-Seron Noel Bottom 6 Medium
44- Bulat Shafigulin Top 6 Low
45- Liam Foudy Top 9 Medium
46- Ryan Merkley Elite Low, very low.
47- Ivan Morozov Top 6 Low
48- Kiril Marchenko Top 6 Low
49-Ryan McLoed Top 9 Medium
50- Jett Woo Top 6 Medium
51-Albin Eriksson Top 9 Medium
52- Semyon Der-Arguchintsev Top 9 Low
53-Nicolas Beaudin Top 6 Medium
54-Ruslan Ishkakov Top 6 Low
55- Jared McIsaac Top 6 Medium
56- Cam Hillis Top 9 Medium
57-Danila Zurahlyov Top 9 Medium
58-Milos Roman Top 9 Medium
59- Jacob Ragnarsson Top 6 Medium
60 Philip Kurashev Top 9 Low
61- Matej Pekar Top 9 Low
62- Jack McBain Top 9 Low
63- Alex Romanov top 4 low
64- Martin Fehervary top 6 high
65- Tyler Madden top 9 med
66- Jakub Lauko top 9 med
67 Jordan Harris top 6 low
68- Joey Keane top 4 low
69- Martin Pospisil top 9 med
70- Alec Regula top 6 med

The logic behind it is similar to Fehervary, Ragnarsson or Beaudin. I like them, theyre smart and play an obvious pro-game, but I always try to find more value. Some didnt work, some might.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
1-Rasmus Dahlin Franchise Medium
2-Andrei Svechnikov Franchise Medium
3-Jesperi Kotkaniemi Elite Medium
4-Adam Boqvist Franchise Low
5-Filip Zadina Elite medium
6-Noah Dobson Top 4 High
7-Quinn Hughes Franchise low
8-Brady Tkachuk Top 6 high
9-Vitali Kravtsov Elite Low
10-Alexander Alexeyev Elite Low
11-Ty Smith Elite Low
12-Nils Lundkvist Elite low
13-Oliver Wahlstrom Elite low
14-Evan Bouchard Elite Low
15- Jonathan Berggren Elite Low
16- Joel Farabee Top 6 medium
17- Alexander Khovanov Top 6 Medium
18- Grigori Denisenko Elite Low
19- Dominik Bokk Top 6 medium
20- Ty Dellandrea Top 6 medium
21- Isac Lundestrom Top 6 Low
22- Calen Addison Top 4 Medium
23- Rasmus Kupari Top 6 Low
24- Jacob Bernard Docker Top 4 Medium
25- Jonny Tychonick Top 6 Medium
26- Bode Wilde Top 4 Medium
27-Joe Veleno Top 9 High
28- Akil Thomas Top 9 Medium
29- Jesse Ylonen Top 6 Medium
30- Jake Wise Top 6 Low
31- Martin Kaut Top 9 High
32-Cole Fonstad Top 6 Low
33- David Gustafsson Top 6 Low
34- Blake McLaughlin Top 6 Low
35-Barret Hayton Top 9 Medium
36-Filip Hallander Top 9 High
37-Jacob Olofsson top 9 medium
38-Jay O’brien WHO FN KNOWS REALLY
39-Jack Drury Top 9 Medium
40- Blade Jenkins Top 6 Medium
41-Rasmus Sandin Top 6 High
42-K’andre Miller Top 4 Low
43-Seron Noel Bottom 6 Medium
44- Bulat Shafigulin Top 6 Low
45- Liam Foudy Top 9 Medium
46- Ryan Merkley Elite Low, very low.
47- Ivan Morozov Top 6 Low
48- Kiril Marchenko Top 6 Low
49-Ryan McLoed Top 9 Medium
50- Jett Woo Top 6 Medium
51-Albin Eriksson Top 9 Medium
52- Semyon Der-Arguchintsev Top 9 Low
53-Nicolas Beaudin Top 6 Medium
54-Ruslan Ishkakov Top 6 Low
55- Jared McIsaac Top 6 Medium
56- Cam Hillis Top 9 Medium
57-Danila Zurahlyov Top 9 Medium
58-Milos Roman Top 9 Medium
59- Jacob Ragnarsson Top 6 Medium
60 Philip Kurashev Top 9 Low
61- Matej Pekar Top 9 Low
62- Jack McBain Top 9 Low
63- Alex Romanov top 4 low
64- Martin Fehervary top 6 high
65- Tyler Madden top 9 med
66- Jakub Lauko top 9 med
67 Jordan Harris top 6 low
68- Joey Keane top 4 low
69- Martin Pospisil top 9 med
70- Alec Regula top 6 med

The logic behind it is similar to Fehervary, Ragnarsson or Beaudin. I like them, theyre smart and play an obvious pro-game, but I always try to find more value. Some didnt work, some might.
Just wanna say I really like the chel style rankings. :)

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Didn’t he get sent down? You’d think a team desperate to make the playoffs and has a weak D wouldn’t send down a top 4D?
The Habs have Petry and Weber at RD, its not weak at all.

Also, Fleury has surpassed expectations too, he looks poised for the 3rd spot. I think theyd rather develop Brook as the 1D in Laval. I embrace this move. Instead of playing him 12 minutes a might he gets 20. He wouldve made the team if Petry and Weber werent there, thats for sure.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I hope I get to see the young Swedes paired on occasion once they have some NHL experience with others. I think they would compliment each other nicely.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->