LD Rasmus Sandin - Rogle BK, SHL (2018, 29th, TOR)

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Certainly, as LD said, playing on a stacked team had something to do with do with it. But another reason is that he is small, he is not very fast, from a physical standpoint he just doesn't look like a potential NHL D.

Doesn't that scream there is something fundamentally wrong with how scouts look at players? Look at Sandin and now Robertson (I'm not saying he is a sure fire NHL player but he should not have been picked this late in the draft) when are scouts/GMs going to lose their addiction to big players??

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Doesn't that scream there is something fundamentally wrong with how scouts look at players? Look at Sandin and now Robertson (I'm not saying he is a sure fire NHL player but he should not have been picked this late in the draft) when are scouts/GMs going to lose their addiction to big players??

To be fair, even Jason Robertson (Nick's older brother) had over 40 goals and 80 pts in the OHL in his NHL draft year and is 6'2 and still went in the 2nd round.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
To be fair, even Jason Robertson (Nick's older brother) had over 40 goals and 80 pts in the OHL in his NHL draft year and is 6'2 and still went in the 2nd round.

ok, ok. And I get that there are times late picks turn into something that drafting isn't a exact science but there is no denying scouts/GMs are stuck in the past. If a scout looked at Sandin and saw 5'11" kid and that's all he needed to know that scout has to be fired

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
ok, ok. And I get that there are times late picks turn into something that drafting isn't a exact science but there is no denying scouts/GMs are stuck in the past. If a scout looked at Sandin and saw 5'11" kid and that's all he needed to know that scout has to be fired

I think the biggest reason why Sandin and Robertson were both available at our picks were:

1) Production in draft year, neither had crazy draft seasons. Robertson went about where you would expect a guy with his production to go and Sandin had good production but went about where a defenseman on a good team would go with his production

2) When you look at Sandin at the most basic level, nothing stands out. His skating isn't anything special and he physical abilities (shot etc..) aren't anything special either. It's his smarts and poise that really make him who he is. But even his smarts and poise may not show how excellent they are until the next level since in junior it can be hard to show.

3) Size. Pretty clear that size does play a factor but I wouldn't say it was anymore of a factor that anything else I've listed.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He’s looked pretty decent in the action I’ve seen him play. I think he’s a better player than Liljegren, he seems to have really good hockey IQ and he makes quick decisions with the puck.

Probably not quite NHL ready but definitely close.

2018 was just a great draft for Dmen.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Honest question, why did Sandin fall to 29? He dominated the AHL as a 18yr old and is impressing now and is pushing himself onto the Leaf roster. How did 28 other teams miss this guy?

Pretty sure that's where he was ranked.

I think the issue with him falling is that his physical tools didn't wow people. He's not the best skater and he's not big.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He’s looked pretty decent in the action I’ve seen him play. I think he’s a better player than Liljegren, he seems to have really good hockey IQ and he makes quick decisions with the puck.

Probably not quite NHL ready but definitely close.

2018 was just a great draft for Dmen.
I said this last year too. I think Sandin is a better prospect and player than Lilegren. His better IQ allows him to make better decisions. He is a very active player, that reminds me of Jake Gardiner I have stated takes unfair criticism at times. Sandin plays like a rover like Jake did. It's a good comparable for him. Not afraid to be in non traditional spots where D play. Projects well into a solid 2nd pairing D man at #3 or #4 in the NHL.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

I think the issue with him falling is that his physical tools didn't wow people. He's not the best skater and he's not big.
Over and over again even pros will fall for the physical toolbox-trap. Which is ironic due to how many players there are in NHL who aren't special in terms of physical attributes whatsoever.

Reactions: Menzinger and AB13

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He's NHL ready.

19 years old and he was probably the team's best defensemen in his last outing with a blueline that featured Morgan Rielly. Sandin's the type of player that you have to watch more than once to get an appreciation for his play. If you just tune in for a random game, he likely won't stand out as a high impact player.

Its hard to pin down a comparable player for him. In terms of historical comparisons, he reminds me of Kimmo Timonen. As for new age, I think he's stylistically similar to Josi. Very unique defender whose somehow able to drive play and command the entire ice despite lacking elite skills.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Honest question, why did Sandin fall to 29? He dominated the AHL as a 18yr old and is impressing now and is pushing himself onto the Leaf roster. How did 28 other teams miss this guy?

All it takes is every team to like one guy better. Also, his greatest strength is his hockey sense, which is rarely scouted for properly and generally bandied about in every scouting report. So, if you actually have good feel for the game it won't help your draft position because every other pick apparently has great hockey sense too!

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I said this last year too. I think Sandin is a better prospect and player than Lilegren. His better IQ allows him to make better decisions. He is a very active player, that reminds me of Jake Gardiner I have stated takes unfair criticism at times. Sandin plays like a rover like Jake did. It's a good comparable for him. Not afraid to be in non traditional spots where D play. Projects well into a solid 2nd pairing D man at #3 or #4 in the NHL.

Gardiner is a terrible comparison for Sandin. Sandin's game is based on his hockey sense, Gardiner quite the opposite.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
All it takes is every team to like one guy better. Also, his greatest strength is his hockey sense, which is rarely scouted for properly and generally bandied about in every scouting report. So, if you actually have good feel for the game it won't help your draft position because every other pick apparently has great hockey sense too!

Strongly disagree. Hockey sense is probably the first thing a professional scout would look at when evaluating a player. It may be overlooked by fans but definitely not by NHL scouts.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

This is a bad post in so many ways. Gardiner's biggest strength is his skating and that's arguably Sandin's biggest weakness at this point. Basically every coach and scout raves about how calm and mature Sandin plays, which was never something people talked up when mentioning Gardiner. It's not a good comparable for him, not at all.

All we've seen him do is be excellent in the AHL at 18 and draw raves from everyone during preseason at 19. Limiting him to a #3 or #4 is a predictably bearish projection.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Gardiner is a terrible comparison for Sandin. Sandin's game is based on his hockey sense, Gardiner quite the opposite.

Gardiner was a bit bipolar. His offensive hockey sense, his outlet passes, ability to spring people was elite. Gardiner possessed very good offensive hockey sense.... But, he didn't have very good defensive hockey sense. It's early days for Sandin, and we've yet to see how he will play against good NHL competition, but Sandin's hockey sense seems to be at both ends of the rink. He seems so calm with the puck, and never in danger. Let's see how that translates, when the pace of the play is picked up, and he's under more pressure, but he looks great so far.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Seeing how well Sandin and Robertson are playing, makes me hate the fact that our draft team didnt get a first in the last draft and next draft.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seeing how well Sandin and Robertson are playing, makes me hate the fact that our draft team didnt get a first in the last draft and next draft.

It's too bad we had to ship out a pick to dump Marleau, cause it essentially means we paid a first for 2 years of Marleau's service, but at the same time, I'm hoping it means we can bridge that development gap and buy some time until we start drafting in the first round again in 2021.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I don't doubt the kid is good, but using a play against superstar Dale Weise to prove it is kind of funny.

19 year old dman takes the puck away from a guy with nearly 500 NHL games under his belt like its his little brother.
kid is gonna be real good

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

yeah and its pretty obvious already he was ranked too low. If he was 2 inches taller, he would have been higher.
kids gonna be up there with hughes,bouchard,boqvist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad