LD Rasmus Sandin - Rogle BK, SHL (2018, 29th, TOR)

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I see it more like this,

Muzzin - Zaitsev
Dermott - Rielly
Rosen - ??? (Liljegren has a chance, Sandin has a lesser chance, or maybe Toronto goes out and gets a RHD)
I don't know that Dermott is ready for that just yet. Might depend on who's coaching too.

I think DubY needs a big summer. A RHD needs to be high on his shopping list.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'd love to have Hainsey as RD3 with Derms.
But we'd have to make a bigger move first iykwim

Bob McKenzie speculated a few months back that he could see Hainsey back on a 2m 1 yr deal. I could see that happening. I forget if he projected him on the 1st or 3rd pairing. Either way, I think it would be good value for the dollar imho.

Reactions: teddygmr

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Underrating of Liljegren continues.

1) Sandin is better then Liljigren, he just is. Anyone who watches Sandin can see that, the kid could be a legit #2 Dman

2) For some reason people think since Sandin is better that must mean Liljigren has gotten worse/degressed (or worse dispensable) and that simply isn't true. Liljigren is having an amazing season defensively and has shown he is a top4 Dman without question. We all know Liljigren has the hands offensively and this season he has shown he can also dominate in his own end!

Honestly for all we know Liljigren was given the Rielly treatement, the year where Rielly focused on his defensive game (mainly took Dzone faceoffs and I honetly don't think he was on the PP that year)

Toronto is super lucky to have Sandin and Liljigren and they both with be in the NHL sooner rather then later

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Hainsey didn't burn out this year and played well. Given his price tag, I'd be happy to have him back. Just hope Babs doesn't over do it...
We need to think long-term, look at the Bolts, sure they could've signed a cheap vet UFA to fill out the bottom pair, but now they have MG and Cernak as cheap young ELC talent that has proven to be successful at this level. I'd rather have Sandin and Hainsey if you can get him under $2 million, if not, Rosen or Liljegren

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
We need to think long-term, look at the Bolts, sure they could've signed a cheap vet UFA to fill out the bottom pair, but now they have MG and Cernak as cheap young ELC talent that has proven to be successful at this level. I'd rather have Sandin and Hainsey if you can get him under $2 million, if not, Rosen or Liljegren
They also had Girardi, Coburn and Stralman. The Bolts did a good job of not rushing their prospects and waiting for them to properly develop before bringing them up.

Take a look at posts regarding Cernak from last year. Tampa fans wanted him up earlier, but management let the vets play until he was fully ready. I think the Leafs should do a similar thing with Sandin and Lilly. Tampa rushed Sergachev and look how he struggled this year.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
They also had Girardi, Coburn and Stralman. The Bolts did a good job of not rushing their prospects and waiting for them to properly develop before bringing them up.

Take a look at posts regarding Cernak from last year. Tampa fans wanted him up earlier, but management let the vets play until he was fully ready. I think the Leafs should do a similar thing with Sandin and Lilly. Tampa rushed Sergachev and look how he struggled this year.
MG had a great rookie year, he had a sophmore slump which is quite common.

The Leafs are contending NOW...they need their best players period up with the big team.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Think the Leafs let Gardiner walk for Sandin to fill the spot? Lord knows they need to save the cash?
Calle Rosen will be first in line. He just signed a 2 year, 1 way extension and is a Gardiner clone stylistically.

Sandin's contract will slide again next year, so he likely starts with the Marlies, especially considering how deep the left side is.

Liljegren is more likely a candidate to play full-time, as he will burn a year off his ELC next year regardless of where he plays. However, if he plays more than 10 games or so, he will be eligible for the expansion draft. He will 100% get a look though.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Calle Rosen will be first in line. He just signed a 2 year, 1 way extension and is a Gardiner clone stylistically.

Sandin's contract will slide again next year, so he likely starts with the Marlies, especially considering how deep the left side is.

Liljegren is more likely a candidate to play full-time, as he will burn a year off his ELC next year regardless of where he plays. However, if he plays more than 10 games or so, he will be eligible for the expansion draft. He will 100% get a look though.
Negative on the expansion draft. He is already exempt from it. This was the year that he had to stay out of, same with Liljegren. Both are going to be exempt.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Sandin is starting to struggle and I think his age and inexperience is starting to show, he is making more mistakes than usual. I honestly think the grind of a full season plus playoffs is weighing on him and I hope Rosen can get back into the lineup so it will lighten Sandins load
Don't get me wrong even with Sandin struggles he is still 2nd best Dman on the Marlies with Liljegren ahead of him right now

And yes Sandin is still better then Liljegren, it's just Liljegren is older and has already gone through a Calder Cup run and it is giving him an edge right now

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Sandin is starting to struggle and I think his age and inexperience is starting to show, he is making more mistakes than usual. I honestly think the grind of a full season plus playoffs is weighing on him and I hope Rosen can get back into the lineup so it will lighten Sandins load
Don't get me wrong even with Sandin struggles he is still 2nd best Dman on the Marlies with Liljegren ahead of him right now

And yes Sandin is still better then Liljegren, it's just Liljegren is older and has already gone through a Calder Cup run and it is giving him an edge right now
Meh. I think that take is fairly reactionary when you look at what he has done as a whole in the playoffs.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Meh. I think that take is fairly reactionary when you look at what he has done as a whole in the playoffs.

I'm not talking about one game, I would say since game 2 in the second round he started to struggle. He still has his offensive touch but he is turning the puck over more than usual in his own end

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'm not talking about one game, I would say since game 2 in the second round he started to struggle. He still has his offensive touch but he is turning the puck over more than usual in his own end
Not really seeing anything out of the ordinary myself outside of a few turnovers last game.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Hainsey didn't burn out this year and played well. Given his price tag, I'd be happy to have him back. Just hope Babs doesn't over do it...
TBH, I believe a high priority for Duby this summer is a partner for Rielly.
Which would mean there would be someone blocking Hainsey's path to the top pair.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
TBH, I believe a high priority for Duby this summer is a partner for Rielly.
Which would mean there would be someone blocking Hainsey's path to the top pair.

I have a very strong feeling hainsey will be in the exact same spot next year.....on the top pairing. The guy is playing 20+ minutes a night and Babcock obviously likes him so I doubt he's got plans to retire. I kind of hope Dubas takes that decision out of Babcock's hands and just doesn't bring him back. Go big and make a huge trade with our abundance of forwards. We really need a guy like Pesce or Trouba on that right side.

Reactions: DanM

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I have a very strong feeling hainsey will be in the exact same spot next year.....on the top pairing. The guy is playing 20+ minutes a night and Babcock obviously likes him so I doubt he's got plans to retire. I kind of hope Dubas takes that decision out of Babcock's hands and just doesn't bring him back. Go big and make a huge trade with our abundance of forwards. We really need a guy like Pesce or Trouba on that right side.
Yep.

In a vacuum, I'm good with Hainsey back. But, there is one problem with it......

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Think the Leafs let Gardiner walk for Sandin to fill the spot? Lord knows they need to save the cash?
Doubtful. I think barring injuries he spends another year in the AHL and the Leafs go with some combo of Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott/Rosen on the left. I think we're more likely to see Liljegren coming up and playing sheltered minutes on the right side.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Doubtful. I think barring injuries he spends another year in the AHL and the Leafs go with some combo of Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott/Rosen on the left. I think we're more likely to see Liljegren coming up and playing sheltered minutes on the right side.

With Dermott's injury, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a game or two come october if someone struggles

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Point per game in the AHL playoffs as a teen d-man

Insane.

I still find it hilarious how dead this thread has been from non-Leaf fans, given the crazy impressive season he’s having.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad