LD Rasmus Dahlin (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Why are many people obsessed with points? He is a Defensman. Points are good, but lets focus to his defensive play. Its hard to measure, that is true, but i think we have here some true experts.

Because scoring is what wins games? It’s pretty obvious dynamic offensive players are what rules the NHL. A Dman who can pile up points at even strength is almost assured to be at least average defensively.

Some on HF might think a Dman who is a rock defensively while not bringing much to the table is as valuable as a 65+ point D, but the reality is that it isn’t even close.

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Because scoring is what wins games? It’s pretty obvious dynamic offensive players are what rules the NHL. A Dman who can pile up points at even strength is almost assured to be at least average defensively.

Some on HF might think a Dman who is a rock defensively while not bringing much to the table is as valuable as a 65+ point D, but the reality is that it isn’t even close.
Yeah the 65+point D often defend by almost never be in the D zone. Sometimes attacking is the best defence.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah the 65+point D often defend by almost never be in the D zone. Sometimes attacking is the best defence.

HF: [uses possession metrics (i.e., shot attempts for/against) as a proxy for defensive ability]
Also HF, on any defenseman that drives possession and puts up a bunch of points: "But he's bad at D"

Reactions: Caesar Rex

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In hockey, it always is. You literally can't be scored on if you have the puck.

Sure this is true but there are plenty of Dmen who are high event guys ie. On the ice for as many if not more ESGF/ESGA. Karlsson has had many years like this.

That being said Dahlin is a special talent.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Impressive? It's more than that, I don't think people understand how impactful he's been and how rare it is.

What he's doing at 18 is beyond impressive. He's having the best 18 year old season for a defensman since Bobby Orr from what I can surmise.

NHL.com - Stats

Wish I could sort by age, because very few of the guys on that list were actually 18.

Wish I read the whole thread before posting this, poster Pavel Buchnevich already mentioned most of this.

Here -

Elite Prospects - NHL Stats All-time season

This site lets you set the age when searching.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Rasmus Dahlin has passed Aaron Ekblad on the all time Pts by an 18 year old defense man list.
Ekblad 29pts - Dahlin 30.
Will he pass Orr's 41 pt rookie season? I hope so, lets go Rasmus! Kid deserves more love so happy we got him.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Not true. He won with 39, 2nd in rookie d scoring behind Klingberg. Ekblad played half the season as a 19 year old.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Pretty sure ekblad had 39 points...
Before 19th bday. Ekblad turned 19 on feb 7th.
Dy_dcP0WwAAWHrP.png

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Pretty sure ekblad had 39 points...

As a rookie, yes, but not as an 18-year-old.

It's crazy how good Dahlin is at such a young age. Ekblad is really the only guy since Orr you could sort of point to as a comparable (discounting Housley because he played much of his rookie season as a forward), but he was a physically mature man-child playing heavily sheltered minutes with a D partner who did almost all of the heavy lifting.

Reactions: Willgamesh

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
As a rookie, yes, but not as an 18-year-old.

It's crazy how good Dahlin is at such a young age. Ekblad is really the only guy since Orr you could sort of point to as a comparable (discounting Housley because he played much of his rookie season as a forward), but he was a physically mature man-child playing heavily sheltered minutes with a D partner who did almost all of the heavy lifting.
Dahlin is a mentally mature man-child.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Rasmus Dahlin has passed Aaron Ekblad on the all time Pts by an 18 year old defense man list.
Ekblad 29pts - Dahlin 30.
Will he pass Orr's 41 pt rookie season? I hope so, lets go Rasmus! Kid deserves more love so happy we got him.

Dahlin has the advantage of being 18 for the entire season though. I don’t really understand the fascination of “points by an 18 year old defenseman”.

Kinda wish they were just ranked as points by a rookie defenseman in their d+1 season.

Reactions: RacMan93

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Dahlin has the advantage of being 18 for the entire season though. I don’t really understand the fascination of “points by an 18 year old defenseman”.

Kinda wish they were just ranked as points by a rookie defenseman in their d+1 season.
Its about your body/brain developing and Dahlin being months less old. How is being less physically and mentally mature an advantage? You can look up stats about all rookie defenman seasons. Point being was for such a young player he has shown the most production in recent *decades *before turning 19.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Is my memory absolute crap, or didn't Housley play forward his rookie season?

Or am I confusing him with someone else?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He made a couple bad misstakes last game, but he is learning and nice with some points.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
This just in ... 18 year-old defenseman makes mistakes! Certainly not his best showing last game. The guy's not perfect. Yet.

I'm amazed how often he retrieves or turns over a puck he's just given up. His quickness, anticipation, and determination are quite impressive. Useful skills to have when tidying up one's own errors.

As his skating becomes more explosive, his shot gets harder and more accurate, and his situational awareness improves with experience, he'll be racking up points like crazy. I'll be shocked if he's not in the thick of the Norris race 2 seasons from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad