LD Rasmus Dahlin (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Dahlin plays so much on the edge that I doubt he will become the most reliable D in his own zone but I don't think no one really cares if he makes up for it in the offensive zone.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
This just in ... 18 year-old defenseman makes mistakes! Certainly not his best showing last game. The guy's not perfect. Yet.

I'm amazed how often he retrieves or turns over a puck he's just given up. His quickness, anticipation, and determination are quite impressive. Useful skills to have when tidying up one's own errors.

As his skating becomes more explosive, his shot gets harder and more accurate, and his situational awareness improves with experience, he'll be racking up points like crazy. I'll be shocked if he's not in the thick of the Norris race 2 seasons from now.
Yeah maby i should not have said mistakes, but lessons. He got som lessons last game and he will learn from them. Offensive he still has a few more gears i hope he shows when he feels more in ease with the defensive bit. A accurate shot is realy important, dont need to be that hard, just get through screens and so on.

Reactions: SabresSharks

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Dahlin's skill and sense are so good right now, you know it's just the tip of the iceberg. But he needs to get stronger, and he needs to work on getting more heat on his shot. Not saying it will happen, but if you look at Sam Reinhart's progress from D+1 season in physical ability to now, and project that on to Dahlin, it's scary how good he can become.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Dahlin's skill and sense are so good right now, you know it's just the tip of the iceberg. But he needs to get stronger, and he needs to work on getting more heat on his shot. Not saying it will happen, but if you look at Sam Reinhart's progress from D+1 season in physical ability to now, and project that on to Dahlin, it's scary how good he can become.

I hope his strength training helps him skate faster because hes about as fast as Pominville.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Rasmus "secondary assist" Dahlin :sarcasm:.
-about 80% of his assists are secondary

Expect troubles in his sophomore season, unlikely his luck will last,
i don't see him scoring this many points next year, but i do think he'll improve tons season after that.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

i don't see him scoring this many points next year, but i do think he'll improve tons season after that.

There was a graph a few weeks ago that showed Dahlin set up the third most even strength chances of any D in the league. He’s been UNlucky.

And wait until he gets a coach who figures out he should be on the top powerplay for good and get more minutes

ijuka

May 14, 2016
His playmaking ability has honestly been very impressive. He's set to crush Ekblad's impressive rookie season. One can only hope that he's able to work on his muffin of a shot however. But even without it, it's possible he can get close to the level of Erik Karlsson offensively. Nevertheless, I have some reservations about predicting him to be quite as good because his skating just isn't at the level of prime Karlsson. Perhaps a better version of Hedman...

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
His playmaking ability has honestly been very impressive. He's set to crush Ekblad's impressive rookie season. One can only hope that he's able to work on his muffin of a shot however. But even without it, it's possible he can get close to the level of Erik Karlsson offensively. Nevertheless, I have some reservations about predicting him to be quite as good because his skating just isn't at the level of prime Karlsson. Perhaps a better version of Hedman...

With his frame, youth and footwork I bet he will get a step or two faster over the next couple years.

Most accounts I have read indicate he is a worker in the Lgym. So if he gets after it in the summer he might go up a whole nother level.

After this season, if Botts makes a couple good moves, I could see Dahlin putting up 60 points. Comfortably.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

This is too funny. If anything, Dahlin is likely to really turn it up next year offensively. You haven't seen anything yet of what he's capable of.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Finnish poster waking up to yet another Dahlin point. Life is tough sometimes.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

His shot arsenal right now is similar to OEL - lacks a bomb from the point and mostly uses a wrist shot. Yet OEL has still been able to score double digits in goals 6 out of his 8+ seasons so far. Dahlin does not have Karlsson's very nice slapper from the point, but he has better moves and can pick corners better in close.

That said, Karlsson is one of the best offensive defensemen to ever play the game, and I don't see Dahlin having his 80 point upside. I see Dahlin as more of a 65-74 point scorer during his prime seasons, which will place him a level below Karlsson and Burns but on par with pretty much everyone else. Keep in mind, Lidstrom only hit 80 once, and was more of a steady 57-72 point threat.

Hedman might end up the most accurate comparison for prime Dahlin... or perhaps a Hedman/OEL type of hybrid. But his two-way game will be on par with guys like Josi, Suter, Keith, etc. while producing even more offense.

One thing is absolutely certain - Rasmus Dahlin is levels ahead of where Hedman, OEL, Karlsson, Josi, Suter, etc. were during their 18 year old / rookie season's in the NHL.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Remember when John Tavares couldn’t skate and it was going to derail his career? :laugh:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

This has to be the saltiest post I've seen on this website all season. Its has "He's Swedish, so I dislike him" written all over it.

Reactions: Mitts888

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
After a relatively slow start to his NHL career, Dahlin has 27 points in his last 41 games. Incredible pace at 18.

Most certainly. Especially since he isn't a top PP staple. That is such a significant point that can't be overlooked. If you consider players like Karlsson, OEL, Ghost, Barrie, etc. - all offensive defensemen who have carved their niche due to mega PP time, it's a miracle that Dahlin has produced as much as he has without it. Honestly. Look at Morgan Rielly in Toronto - for years he's been yo-yo'd on the top PP - often bumped for Gardiner during his career. This year, Rielly is stapled to the main PP and he already has over 55 points and is on pace for 80. Loads of PP time will do wonders for a skilled defenseman's points and confidence.

Reactions: Mitts888
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia