LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Does anyone think there is a possibility that they keep him on the team for the play-offs and he actually plays?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The kid is completely lighting it up every single day.

Man is he a fantastic skater. I think if this were at the beginning of next season he might play his way into the opening day lineup. However, jumping right into playoffs after an exhibition game I think bodes against him.

Broberg is doing everything he can to scrap his way into at minimum bring a black ace as we’re seeing. Good on him.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Most surprising prospect for me so far.
I was not expecting such a hot start for him, well done

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This guy is every Duck fans favorite player ever. Thanks Broberg.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexislafreniere

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Broberg-Bear was the pairing at the scrimmage today due to Nurse sitting out. They both looked amazing, Bear looking like the best D on the ice by a longshot, and Broberg looking almost-as-good.

Here's his snipe from the day.

I am happy to see him doing well, I was super high on him. Glad Holland took him, I think he is going to be an excellent player.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Broberg has really blown me away at this camp. I wasn't ecstatic about the pick because I thought addressing the need at forward was more pressing, but Holland is an experienced GM and realized he'll get more value from his pick if he can nail a top pairing/#1 Dman rather than a winger. Broberg's size and skating combo is very rare and rounding out his game reveals how he is among the highest potential prospects in the entire league. Just turned 19 and he is turning a lot of heads in the Oilers' camp.

Bouchard looks really good in camp as well. Broberg has stood out a bit more, but man does the breakout work cleanly when Bouchard is firing the passes.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Broberg has really blown me away at this camp. I wasn't ecstatic about the pick because I thought addressing the need at forward was more pressing, but Holland is an experienced GM and realized he'll get more value from his pick if he can nail a top pairing/#1 Dman rather than a winger. Broberg's size and skating combo is very rare and rounding out his game reveals how he is among the highest potential prospects in the entire league. Just turned 19 and he is turning a lot of heads in the Oilers' camp.

Bouchard looks really good in camp as well. Broberg has stood out a bit more, but man does the breakout work cleanly when Bouchard is firing the passes.

He looks huge on the ice, the reports are he’s around 215ish already at 6’4. His skating is flawless, he looks like a young Jay Bouwmeester the way he effortlessly covers ground with his skating.

He just keeps putting up goals in camp. He’s been paired with Bear the last little bit while Nurse has been icing a couple of tweaks. They look excellent together, a lot of that is Bear is an excellent puck mover but man has Broberg made the most of this opportunity.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the #7 and first call up on D which would have been an unheard of thought coming into camp. He’s really looked impressive. Still don’t think he’s ready and like any young D his decision making at an NHL level when bullets are live is very different than camp.

But, if we’re talking based on pure merit in camp, Broberg is very much pushing for a roster spot come opening night, I still think he’s in the pressbox but good on him for pushing himself into the conversation. Full credit to his work ethic and training.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
If Oilers rush him into anything then they haven't learned anything in their last 10 + years of rushing prospects who looked strong in camp/their first few games.. Should be patient with Broberg his time will come, it is not now as a recently turned 19 y/o though.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
If Oilers rush him into anything then they haven't learned anything in their last 10 + years of rushing prospects who looked strong in camp/their first few games.. Should be patient with Broberg his time will come, it is not now as a recently turned 19 y/o though.

You don't have to worry about that with Ken Holland. He'll wait 6 seasons to over-ripen Broberg then trade him for a 6th round pick to Florida.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Does anyone think there is a possibility that they keep him on the team for the play-offs and he actually plays?
I was not a fan of the pick. I wanted a forward. And if you asked me this two weeks ago I'd have said no way. Today, I would not say that. I still think the chances he plays are slim but did he ever impress a lot of people at the camp. And I'll say this for sure. This kid can skate!!!

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Hard to say Broberg is underrated given his draft position but I just don't see what the heavy critics seems to say, he is one of the most toolsy prospects not currently in the NHL, skates like the wind, great size and strength, seems to have really good offensive upside to his game and his defending seems oddly maligned. I think he has upside as a #1/#2 Defenseman in the NHL who is likely to have a 10+ year career in the league. What's not to like?
probably his stat line this year and the fact he was ranked 15th on MacKenzie's list.
He has looked good otherwise.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Is Philip Broberg on track to be a top-pairing defenceman?

Interesting article in the Athletic on Broberg and discussion of the SHL. Not sure if Broberg ends up a top pairing D man or not, I’m fairly certain he’ll be in the NHL a lot sooner than I initially thought given how’s developed. I think he pushes for a spot regularly next season.

His size and effortless skating reminds me of Jay Bouwmeester when he was younger. Just effortlessly travels distances so fast on the ice. He’ll be an interesting prospect to watch on a team full of really good D prospects along Bear and Jones who just graduated.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Kid has looked good, step in the right direction to help Edmonton’s blue line

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Slicker version of Victor Hedman

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Are you kidding me?

The kid had a good camp after an up and down season in the SHL. I get the excitement, and I think with his skating he'll be a good fit in rebuilding a smooth-skating Oilers team, but let's not get cocky. The kid has all the athletic talent in the world but he's been noted to have problems putting it all together upstairs. Let's see him in a few games before saying he's slicker than Hedman, a perennial Norris candidate.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Is Philip Broberg on track to be a top-pairing defenceman?

Interesting article in the Athletic on Broberg and discussion of the SHL. Not sure if Broberg ends up a top pairing D man or not, I’m fairly certain he’ll be in the NHL a lot sooner than I initially thought given how’s developed. I think he pushes for a spot regularly next season.

His size and effortless skating reminds me of Jay Bouwmeester when he was younger. Just effortlessly travels distances so fast on the ice. He’ll be an interesting prospect to watch on a team full of really good D prospects along Bear and Jones who just graduated.

I think the Bouwmeester comparison is apt. Bouwmeester was said to be the second coming of Scott Niedermayer during his draft year because of his skating, but he didn't turn out to be that way. He was over his head as a #1 guy in Florida, but on St. Louis looked very good as a complementary top pair or 2nd pair defenseman. IF, and it's a big if, Broberg works out the mental kinks in his game he could become that solid offensive puck rusher on the 2nd pair. I don't think he has the high end hockey sense to be truly elite, though. Much like Bouwmeester. I think he may score a few more goals with Draisaitl and McDavid, though. Broberg has the speed to break loose and a wrist shot that most forwards in the league would envy.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I think the Bouwmeester comparison is apt. Bouwmeester was said to be the second coming of Scott Niedermayer during his draft year because of his skating, but he didn't turn out to be that way. He was over his head as a #1 guy in Florida, but on St. Louis looked very good as a complementary top pair or 2nd pair defenseman. IF, and it's a big if, Broberg works out the mental kinks in his game he could become that solid offensive puck rusher on the 2nd pair. I don't think he has the high end hockey sense to be truly elite, though. Much like Bouwmeester. I think he may score a few more goals with Draisaitl and McDavid, though. Broberg has the speed to break loose and a wrist shot that most forwards in the league would envy.
good comparison

all Jay did was play 1240 games in the NHL of solid , reliable, defensive hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad