LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Hard to say Broberg is underrated given his draft position but I just don't see what the heavy critics seems to say, he is one of the most toolsy prospects not currently in the NHL, skates like the wind, great size and strength, seems to have really good offensive upside to his game and his defending seems oddly maligned. I think he has upside as a #1/#2 Defenseman in the NHL who is likely to have a 10+ year career in the league. What's not to like?

The main concerns offensively are : suspect play selection with the puck which leads to many non-optimal or unsafe plays, passing up grade-A playmaking opportunities for low-chance shots regularly, puck-hogging at times (most notably at the Ivan-Hlinka a couple years ago), and badly-timed puck carries which lead to turnovers or loss of possession. His passing itself is also a question mark as the passes leaving his stick can be erratic, oddly-timed, and often come either too strong on a teammate's stick for him to handle comfortably or too slow and get picked off. Broberg also lacks elite skill offensively which would negate a lot of those perceived faults to his game; his stick-handling is deft but he's no Datsyuk.

The best thing about his game in the offensive zone right now, aside from his ++ skating of course, is his heavy shot combined with a pretty good release. Those attributes ensure that Broberg will be able to score some goals in the NHL.

Defensively it is the same story. Broberg exhibits similarly unimpressive IQ at times that make you wonder if he's not hiding most of his flaws with his excellent skating and excellent set of tools ala Jeff Petry early on in his career. Most of the time he will play a solid defensive game, be hard to beat on 2-on-1s, with great gap control, but then he'll make a bonehead play that gets you cringing, like doubling coverage on an oncoming forward (and letting somebody open), getting caught puck-watching, trying too hard to block the passing lanes with his stick and incidentally losing coverage of a forward near his goaltender, or just position himself badly. Those instances happen too consistently in Broberg's game for me to just brush them off as the mistakes made by a young D that's still a bit raw.

I mean, the good outweighs the bad handily with Broberg, and he is extremely safe as a prospect because of his tools and great skating, but I argue that his hockey IQ isn't where it needs to be if he wants to be a dominant defenseman in the NHL, which is why I think he probably ends up being a #3-4 defenseman if he reaches his full potential instead of the top-pairing guy many people seem to see in him. Of all the defensemen in the league, he reminds me the most of Jeff Petry stylistically, but I think he has obviously better tools and a slightly lesser hockey brain.

Anyways, that's how I see Philip Broberg as a player. In a couple years we'll see if I was right or wrong, as I often am. If that's the case I'll happily eat crow.

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Tippett specifically singles out Broberg. Said his plan today was having Lagesson and Bouchard as the extras, with Jones-Broberg as that pair because Russell-Benning play together a lot.

about Broberg:

'Broberg's come in and has been pretty good here, so we want to see what he can do in some different situation so we'll continue to monitor that'.

We very well may see Broberg play in our exhibition game against Calgary, as these are our D pairings at the moment in camp.

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Larsson
Jones-Broberg
Russell-Benning
Lagesson-Bouchard

All of our media has been praising Broberg endlessly, saying he has been the best player on the ice at times. He is the second best skater out there after McDavid. He has the most goals in scrimmages (not that it means much), and has all around been great. They're giving him a serious look to play.

Tippett knows what he has in Russell-Benning and it really doesn't sound like he wants them to be playing much. Jones was playing incredibly before the season ended, but he caught COVID and they're taking him along slowly.

Reactions: KYams17

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tippett specifically singles out Broberg. Said his plan today was having Lagesson and Bouchard as the extras, with Jones-Broberg as that pair because Russell-Benning play together a lot.

about Broberg:

'Broberg's come in and has been pretty good here, so we want to see what he can do in some different situation so we'll continue to monitor that'.

We very well may see Broberg play in our exhibition game against Calgary, as these are our D pairings at the moment in camp.

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Larsson
Jones-Broberg
Russell-Benning
Lagesson-Bouchard

All of our media has been praising Broberg endlessly, saying he has been the best player on the ice at times. He is the second best skater out there after McDavid. He has the most goals in scrimmages (not that it means much), and has all around been great. They're giving him a serious look to play.

Tippett knows what he has in Russell-Benning and it really doesn't sound like he wants them to be playing much. Jones was playing incredibly before the season ended, but he caught COVID and they're taking him along slowly.
Broberg is a fabulous skater, so can see why he’s (kind of) moved ahead of Bouchard in the Oiler depth on D.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Broberg is a fabulous skater, so can see why he’s (kind of) moved ahead of Bouchard in the Oiler depth on D.
Not sure if he has passed Bouchard on the depth chart. He is more versatile as he can play both sides, and is a much better skater. Bouchard definitely has the upper hand on offensive capability, breakout pass, PP, etc. I think they're pretty close, but if you can only bring one into the bubble...again, not sure how many they're planning on taking and maybe they take both -- but I see why an argument can be made for the versatility of Broberg at this point.

What a skater though, damn. He said he has had 4 months of hard workouts too. He is 6'4" now and probably 215+ lbs. Massive guy, and with that speed to boot...look out.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Not sure if he has passed Bouchard on the depth chart. He is more versatile as he can play both sides, and is a much better skater. Bouchard definitely has the upper hand on offensive capability, breakout pass, PP, etc. I think they're pretty close, but if you can only bring one into the bubble...again, not sure how many they're planning on taking and maybe they take both -- but I see why an argument can be made for the versatility of Broberg at this point.

What a skater though, damn. He said he has had 4 months of hard workouts too. He is 6'4" now and probably 215+ lbs. Massive guy, and with that speed to boot...look out.

With Bouchard, Broberg, Samorukov, Lagesson, Berglund, etc. I think we quite easily have a top 2 or 3 prospect D core in the entire league even with the graduations of Bear and Jones into NHL positions. Only the Avs I would put ahead of us and not by a tonne but their high end depth is pretty ridiculous.

This is as good of a D prospect pool as I can remember us ever having in decades.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I know a lot of you have seen this, and it's from a while ago, but look at this speed against the Russians. Say what you want about it being junior, but being able to blow by a guy like that is actually insane -- even if it's a junior player. He could skate by Kris Russell just the same :naughty:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
With Bouchard, Broberg, Samorukov, Lagesson, Berglund, etc. I think we quite easily have a top 2 or 3 prospect D core in the entire league even with the graduations of Bear and Jones into NHL positions. Only the Avs I would put ahead of us and not by a tonne but their high end depth is pretty ridiculous.

This is as good of a D prospect pool as I can remember us ever having in decades.
I'd even put us ahead of the Avs now that Makar has graduated. Byram is better than Bouchard but Broberg is better than Timmins, and our defensive prospect depth is superior to theirs.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'd even put us ahead of the Avs now that Makar has graduated. Byram is better than Bouchard but Broberg is better than Timmins, and our defensive prospect depth is superior to theirs.

Byram is clearly the best for sure, but good point with Makar graduated I don’t think any team in the NHL has as many high quality D prospects.

Without question in my opinion we have a top 2-3 if not number 1 D prospect pool.

Our forward prospect pool on the other hand is like bottom 5 lol

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Byram is clearly the best for sure, but good point with Makar graduated I don’t think any team in the NHL has as many high quality D prospects.

Without question in my opinion we have a top 2-3 if not number 1 D prospect pool.

Our forward prospect pool on the other hand is like bottom 5 lol

well when you have 2 forwards competing for the Art Ross and Hart this really can be overcome as Pittsburgh has shown.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
well when you have 2 forwards competing for the Art Ross and Hart this really can be overcome as Pittsburgh has shown.

Our forward prospect pool is bleak though. Lavoie looks really promising but not much else.

Complete polar opposites #1 or 2 D prospect pool in the entire NHL bottom 2-3 forward prospect pool lol

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Our forward prospect pool is bleak though. Lavoie looks really promising but not much else.

Complete polar opposites #1 or 2 D prospect pool in the entire NHL bottom 2-3 forward prospect pool lol

I guess there is always hope with Jesse Puljujarvi but he is turning into a bust.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Tippett plays this guy when the games matter, he’s incredibly dumb. No way can you throw a player who probably isn’t NHL ready into a best of 5 series just because he’s been good in a short training camp. This is not like throwing Makar or McAvoy right into the league. Everyone knew they were NHL ready. I don’t think Tippett is dumb enough to play Broberg when the games start mattering.

Reactions: wetcoast

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
wait, i missed something, when did Broberg sign his ELC and is he allowed to play in the playoffs?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If Tippett plays this guy when the games matter, he’s incredibly dumb. No way can you throw a player who probably isn’t NHL ready into a best of 5 series just because he’s been good in a short training camp. This is not like throwing Makar or McAvoy right into the league. Everyone knew they were NHL ready. I don’t think Tippett is dumb enough to play Broberg when the games start mattering.

Yeah, I think Broberg is more a realistic possibility in like 2021-22 season.

His skill set as a D man is sexy though but he’s still just a kid and has a lot of learning to do.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
wait, i missed something, when did Broberg sign his ELC and is he allowed to play in the playoffs?
He signed it in July 2019. The Oilers loaned him to Skelleftea this season and are planning to do so again for 2020-21.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
At most, I think the plan is to play him in the exhibition game to give him a taste of the NHL. I highly doubt he plays in the playoffs unless injuries absolutely force it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
At most, I think the plan is to play him in the exhibition game to give him a taste of the NHL. I highly doubt he plays in the playoffs unless injuries absolutely force it.

What if he scores 5 goals in that exhibition game?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The oilers should be playing their starting lineup in the exhibition game, if they dont they are morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad