LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Everything that got it to there. The skating, the not knowing what to do with the puck when he gains the zone or knowing where his teammates are.
LB8j1hh.jpg

He deked through three opponents and tried passing the puck to his teammate across the crease.

Last edited:

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
He deked through three opponents and tried passing the puck to his teammate across the crease.
This is exactly how I saw it. Not sure how someone can discredit a play where a guy carries the puck and maintains possession for 190 feet, and caps it off by creating a scoring chance for his teammates in front of the net. Whether a goal was scored or not, that was an excellent play.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
LB8j1hh.jpg

F1 peels off his forecheck assignment before Broberg even gets to the dot, D tries to stand a lefty up at the blue line by forcing him to his left on the right side of the ice.

He lit up beer league play and got lucky.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
While I did not like the pick when it happened, I did not love and still believe that the oilers should have taken either the BPA or a winger due to positional demands--he could be good but we will have to wait

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
F1 peels off his forecheck assignment before Broberg even gets to the dot, D tries to stand a lefty up at the blue line by forcing him to his left on the right side of the ice.

Better discredit every goal ever scored than I guess guys if the player with the puck goes through 3 different players but those 3 players are leaning towards the bench the good play is voided. Just leave and mumble to yourself diminishing every Oiler prospect atleast that I could respect.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

That has nothing to do with Broberg.

Why appreciate a good play when you can just make up something to complain about?

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think it's a terrible comparison. Skjei isn't a bad player. He's a good #4 defensemen, maybe close to a #3. Like Broberg, Skjei has very basic skill. He can move the puck at an adequate level and isn't going to ruin attacks if you pass it back to him at the point, but he doesn't create much offense because he doesn't have much skill. He'll get a number of points due to his skating. He can also defend at a good, but not great level, with great skating and good size. The hockey IQ is around average. I wouldn't rule out Broberg being slightly better all-around than Skjei, and being a good #3 or close to a #2 defensemen, but if Edmonton gets a player the caliber of Skjei out of the #8 pick, its not what you want, but its not a bad outcome. That's a top 15 player in any draft.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think it's a terrible comparison. Skjei isn't a bad player. He's a good #4 defensemen, maybe close to a #3. Like Broberg, Skjei has very basic skill. He can move the puck at an adequate level and isn't going to ruin attacks if you pass it back to him at the point, but he doesn't create much offense because he doesn't have much skill. He'll get a number of points due to his skating. He can also defend at a good, but not great level, with great skating and good size. The hockey IQ is around average. I wouldn't rule out Broberg being slightly better all-around than Skjei, and being a good #3 or close to a #2 defensemen, but if Edmonton gets a player the caliber of Skjei out of the #8 pick, its not what you want, but its not a bad outcome. That's a top 15 player in any draft.

I think a player like Skjei represents a fairly mediocre projection of Broberg’s upside.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Skjei is closer to the floor than the ceiling.

What do you think his ceiling is? I think Skjei is the middle ground between his floor and ceiling. If you are saying Skjei is close to his floor, you are saying that his floor is a top 4 defensemen. I don't think the third defensemen off the board in a very weak defensemen draft has the floor of a top 4 defensemen.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What do you think his ceiling is? I think Skjei is the middle ground between his floor and ceiling. If you are saying Skjei is close to his floor, you are saying that his floor is a top 4 defensemen. I don't think the third defensemen off the board in a very weak defensemen draft has the floor of a top 4 defensemen.

I think Broberg plays a game that’s very projectable to the NHL and should be a safe 2nd pairing defenceman in his sleep. He’s definitely got top pairing upside and honestly reminds me of a better skating Klefbom. I didn’t love the pick because organizationally we are extremely strong at LHD, but if all we get is a Skjei clone, frankly, Holland f***ed up but good - especially considering how badly we needed a top six forward and left Zegras and Boldy on the board.

Reactions: B33K33PING

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I think Broberg plays a game that’s very projectable to the NHL and should be a safe 2nd pairing defenceman in his sleep. He’s definitely got top pairing upside and honestly reminds me of a better skating Klefbom. I didn’t love the pick because organizationally we are extremely strong at LHD, but if all we get is a Skjei clone, frankly, Holland ****ed up but good - especially considering how badly we needed a top six forward and left Zegras and Boldy on the board.
zadina for bouchard ?

JBeast

Oct 22, 2007
Skellefteå
PB has been showing himself from his best side the 2 preseason games his SHL club has played.

In both games The local papper has talked about him as one of the best skaters on the ice. Ofc his skating and ability to move the puck is what they seem to be most impressed about.

It is still early in The season and he still needs alot of work when it it comes to most parts of his game. But so far he looks way better then I thought he would coming from allsvenskan to SHL.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Broberg looks terrific in highlights due to his skating ability, but quite bad when you actually watch full games of him due to poor decision making/playmaking/positioning.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

This is probably the dumbest thing I have read on HF in a while, and that is saying alot. My recommendation would be to go to the top right corner of your screen>click on your user name>scroll down > click "Log off". Spend some time outside, enjoy summer. Do anything except what you are currently doing

Reactions: wetcoast

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I agree with this. The tier Skjei is playing right now is likely where Broberg will end up (good middle pairing D). Broberg has top pairing/ #1 upside, but lesser chance to make it. Most D drafted 4-10 will end up as middle pairing D. Some turn out to be OELs, some as Schenns, but most as middle pairing guys

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
False statement, multiple ones in fact.

Going thru your post history, you must really be trying to downplay you are a Prospects Fanatic because there is literally nothing of substance in any of the posts on prospects. Either your a terrible at scouting/evaluating or you dont watch the games

Reactions: ManitobaKid

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Going thru your post history, you must really be trying to downplay you are a Prospects Fanatic because there is literally nothing of substance in any of the posts on prospects. Either your a terrible at scouting/evaluating or you dont watch the games
Lol how about you find what my most recent thread is?

Reactions: d rake

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I think it's fair to say Broberg projects to have a bit more skill in his game than Skjei.

Skjei hasn't really produced offensively at any level(outside that one year with a freakish onSH%) and was especially lacking at Broberg's age.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad