LD Pavel Mintyukov (2022, 10th, ANA)

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Maybe on both ends of yours, fan girl...
Ya because it just Ducks fans giving him recognition…

Get out of here.

Getting overrated due to a hot 10 games to start.
Totally understand that take. I don’t think Ducks fans are saying he is a future Norris winner yet. It’s just hard to see him regress since what has been most impressive are things he controls. His points/production is literally the least impressive thing about his season so far.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Get out of here.

Totally understand that take. I don’t think Ducks fans are saying he is a future Norris winner yet. It’s just hard to see him regress since what has been most impressive are things he controls. His points/production is literally the least impressive thing about his season so far.
Yep. I mean how many years did Ducks fans wait for Fowler to get a good D-pairing without much luck from the trade and FA market? How many good defenseman drafted by the Ducks have come and gone to different markets under Ducks fans' eyes?

I've been a Ducks fan since the late 90s. I've never seen a kid this young step onto the Ducks blueline and make such a noticeable all around impact like this ever and, as you said, it's not just the offense.

Given that I picked up the Knights as a 1B second team, I watch a lot of Anaheim and Vegas games, so through that I've watched the entirety of Shea Theodore's career as a lower end of elite defenseman. He didn't look this good when he first got started and I'm not exaggerating when I say that he's only better than Mintyukov is right now in certain aspects. Hampus Lindholm, a guy in the Norris conversation last season, looked fantastic when he made his way into the NHL, but e didn't look this good to start either.

I think Ducks fans have a fair reason to be excited about Minty's start. No one is proclaiming that he'll be a Norris favorite in short order, but it's not out of the realm of possibility either. There's very few identifiable weak spots in his game right now.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Wasn't there a tweet stat showing Minchy had over an 80% offensive rating, but a 40% defensive rating? I'm having a tough time hunting that tweet (or X) down.

Minchy is improving defensively at a very fast pace.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

Get out of here.

Not a Ducks fan but I think he'll be in the conversation soon. Its hard to predict who will win since there are so many good young D like Makar, Fox, Hughes, Dahlin, L.Hughes, Mintyukov, Sanderson etc. I think the latter three will join the tier the first three are in sooner rather than later.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Minty has just kept on the same development pattern. He seems to play better with better players. Which is why I see him just getting better day in, and day out.
This D is going to be fun to watch them and see who plays with each other as we get used to strengths and weaknesses A nice problem to have, a surplus of quality D.

Oct 18, 2011
Yep. I mean how many years did Ducks fans wait for Fowler to get a good D-pairing without much luck from the trade and FA market? How many good defenseman drafted by the Ducks have come and gone to different markets under Ducks fans' eyes?

I've been a Ducks fan since the late 90s. I've never seen a kid this young step onto the Ducks blueline and make such a noticeable all around impact like this ever and, as you said, it's not just the offense.

Given that I picked up the Knights as a 1B second team, I watch a lot of Anaheim and Vegas games, so through that I've watched the entirety of Shea Theodore's career as a lower end of elite defenseman. He didn't look this good when he first got started and I'm not exaggerating when I say that he's only better than Mintyukov is right now in certain aspects. Hampus Lindholm, a guy in the Norris conversation last season, looked fantastic when he made his way into the NHL, but e didn't look this good to start either.

I think Ducks fans have a fair reason to be excited about Minty's start. No one is proclaiming that he'll be a Norris favorite in short order, but it's not out of the realm of possibility either. There's very few identifiable weak spots in his game right now.
The Ducks are a 30 year old franchise and have never developed a franchise or number 1 dman. Lindholm would be closest, it's pretty crazy

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Wouldn't be the first guy to look incredible at 19 and then get burnt out/come back to earth.

But he's shown play this good already at 19, hard to not see him learn to sustain it over the next year or two. Getting a player as good as him at 10 is already a win.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Not a Ducks fan and I think future Norris trophies are very possible for Mintyukov. There isn't another young D that I think has better odds.

Says the person who came into this thread to pick a fight only to throw out a name from their favorite team without a single word to back it up. Gotta love it.

That's a Czech troll, not a Jackets fan.

Jackets fans will tell you that Jiricek is marginally NHL ready right now, there's a good argument that he should be in the AHL for the second year.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Not a Ducks fan and I think future Norris trophies are very possible for Mintyukov. There isn't another young D that I think has better odds.

That's a Czech troll, not a Jackets fan.

Jackets fans will tell you that Jiricek is marginally NHL ready right now, there's a good argument that he should be in the AHL for the second year.
Isn't Jiricek a lot less "filled out" than Minty? It kind of makes sense (looks like Jiricek is 2 inches taller and 2 lbs lighter), he may need a bit more time to hit his stride in the NHL. He'll probably be a good player, but Minty just seems ahead physically right now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Isn't Jiricek a lot less "filled out" than Minty? It kind of makes sense (looks like Jiricek is 2 inches taller and 2 lbs lighter), he may need a bit more time to hit his stride in the NHL. He'll probably be a good player, but Minty just seems ahead physically right now.

Minty is more physically filled out and he's also an elite skater to begin with. Jiricek has to figure out what he can do without elite skating.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Minty is more physically filled out and he's also an elite skater to begin with. Jiricek has to figure out what he can do without elite skating.
Ah ok, didn't realize that. I do remember wanting him before the lottery, I guess he was billed as more of a defensive/physical D?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ah ok, didn't realize that. I do remember wanting him before the lottery, I guess he was billed as more of a defensive/physical D?

No. That was never true. Jiricek looks like a throwback but he's not a defensive D-man. Just like Mintyukov he's got great anticipation, vision, and puck skills. Big time activator. Loves to play physical. Just doesn't have the elite skating.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
No. That was never true. Jiricek looks like a throwback but he's not a defensive D-man. Just like Mintyukov he's got great anticipation, vision, and puck skills. Big time activator. Loves to play physical. Just doesn't have the elite skating.
Jiricek also has a bomb of a shot that can be a big weapon on the PP. I think both players have 1st pairing upside. What was obvious before the draft is coming true...2022 was the year to load up on D.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Mintyukov is a really good defenseman but as with everything, good to stay grounded.

Pretty sure Tyler Myers was in the Hall of Fame after his rookie season because everything just stays good, always.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Not a Ducks fan but I think he'll be in the conversation soon. Its hard to predict who will win since there are so many good young D like Makar, Fox, Hughes, Dahlin, L.Hughes, Mintyukov, Sanderson etc. I think the latter three will join the tier the first three are in sooner rather than later.
It always suprises me how the '22 Calder winner and current top 5 D in scoring is routinely left out of these lists.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
It always suprises me how the '22 Calder winner and current top 5 D in scoring is routinely left out of these lists.
Yea that was a mistake on my part. Dahlin is somewhere in there too. Heiskanen and McAvoy I just don't see putting up the numbers to compete for the Norris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad