LD Pavel Mintyukov (2022, 10th, ANA)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Similar stats with MASSIVE defensive edge to Jiricek. Mintyukov is horrible defensively, just have more space and opportunities to produce offensively. Jiricek as of right now does everything Mintyukov does but better.

Screenshot_20231107-131618_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231107-131720_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jiricek should play in AHL and should work on his defensive game. He is much more offensive oriented than Mintyukov and far away in gap control and play on the short distance. Just chill and don't hurt Jiricek reputation by your activity. For now Jiricek isn't even second best defenseman from the draft with his 11 ES points last year and only 6 firsts points(G and 1st A). Nemec had 21 ES points with 14 firsts points without PP time mostly and a lot of PK time and good overall game and solid defensive game.

Everybody admit that Jiricek has a lot of potential with his frame, shot, physicality and offensive IQ, he is first pair caliber defenseman, but its okay to admit that he isn't the best from the draft NOW.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
View attachment 764326
View attachment 764325

Jiricek should play in AHL and should work on his defensive game. He is much more offensive oriented than Mintyukov and far away in gap control and play on the short distance. Just chill and don't hurt Jiricek reputation by your activity. For now Jiricek isn't even second best defenseman from the draft with his 11 ES points last year and only 6 firsts points(G and 1st A). Nemec had 21 ES points with 14 firsts points without PP time mostly and a lot of PK time and good overall game and solid defensive game.

Everybody admit that Jiricek has a lot of potential with his frame, shot, physicality and offensive IQ, he is first pair caliber defenseman, but its okay to admit that he isn't the best from the draft NOW.
Minty is averaging 19+ mins a game, not sure where that data comes from

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
View attachment 764326
View attachment 764325

Everything else I figured out except for the HD, MD, and LD abbreviations.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Interesting… so the high danger and mid danger % being positive would be a great indicator of someone creating positive chances and a higher likelihood of scoring versus being scored on.
Overall it is complex. You should watch players and understand against whom they are actually playing, what kind of opposition they are facing. How intensive their job is. And you should compare overall chances against and what parts of it are H M and L. and still its not a whole picture - different players are playing with different partners and do different job on the ice. Goalies are different, teams plays in different through the game - some players are supporting when opponents have a lead, other should stand against opponents who is trying to score in the third period etc. Stats is a good complimentary tool but we should analyze more and watch more to understand the picture better.
Mintyukov is playing more important role with worser partner, and he is facing more harder opposition. So at least now he is step ahead. Or may be more steps. Definitely great pick and great young player for Ducks.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
View attachment 764326
View attachment 764325

I don't disagree that Jiricek needs more development, especially in the gym and in skating training. He's still very thin. And of course he's not nearly as good as Mintyukov right now, maybe never.

1. The numbers you are showing actually look pretty good for Jiricek defensively. Those are low chances against, and low relative to Jiricek's teammates as well. I don't know why you posted them next to your argument, because they don't match your argument. Lower "against" numbers are better.

2. Stylistically he's not more offensively oriented than Mintyukov. They're both great activators who jump in the play a lot. If anything Jiricek has been more cautious to start his NHL career, largely again because he's not an elite skater. Mintyukov jumps up if anything more often but he has better recovery ability.

3. Nemec scoring more at 5v5 is nice but PP also counts. A large part of the appeal of Jiricek is his ability to score on the PP, you don't just leave that out. If a guy is incidentally on a PP then you can ignore his PP production, but if he's elevating a PP then that is hugely important.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don't disagree that Jiricek needs more development, especially in the gym and in skating training. He's still very thin. And of course he's not nearly as good as Mintyukov right now, maybe never.

1. The numbers you are showing actually look pretty good for Jiricek defensively. Those are low chances against, and low relative to Jiricek's teammates as well. I don't know why you posted them next to your argument, because they don't match your argument. Lower "against" numbers are better.

2. Stylistically he's not more offensively oriented than Mintyukov. They're both great activators who jump in the play a lot. If anything Jiricek has been more cautious to start his NHL career, largely again because he's not an elite skater. Mintyukov jumps up if anything more often but he has better recovery ability.

3. Nemec scoring more at 5v5 is nice but PP also counts. A large part of the appeal of Jiricek is his ability to score on the PP, you don't just leave that out. If a guy is incidentally on a PP then you can ignore his PP production, but if he's elevating a PP then that is hugely important.
Pre scriptum. I like Jiricek and liked him before the draft.
1. He is net negative in Goal scoring chances, High Dangerous chances, shots etc. Overall his numbers are not bad. I used it to compare him with Mintyukov only. Guy said that Jiricek is better in every aspect of the game and even if not in offense, then especially in defense. Jiricek isnt better than Mintyukov - thats why numbers were used for. After that I wrote about Jiricek overall, I dont have time and desire to make video of his mistakes. Because I mostly like Jiriceks game. Like I said before, this poster should stop because he is making bad reputation for very good player.
And I can agree with you in this case, I mean if CBJ are okay to give time for Jiricek to learn on his mistakes - so why they cant give him this opportunity. Again - its not about comparison him with Mintyukov.
2. Jiricek is more offensive oriented because of his skating too. He is doing well. with the puck and did it in AHL especially, joined the play. But on the defensive side where game is fast on the shorter distance, he is losing first step and mobility. He is good enough, just not elite NOW. Like I said, he can work on his game and add a lot to his game, he is smart player and he can use some expa in positional defensive game to balance it with lack of starting speed. Again - on the other hand, he doesnt need a lot of speed in cycling, where its more important to protect the puck and make good and fast passes.
3. Again, I said Jiricek is behind Nemec as defenseman. Now. It is what it is. Comets didnt used Nemec on PP and focus on developing his ES and PK game where he was shine or was solid in AHL. I dont like to use +\- but Nemec was +13. Jiricek was -11. PP Points are great but in NHL points in PP and 5 vs 5 playmaking is a different animal. Nemec may never face first pp unit minutes because of Luke and Dougie, but even with less points he could play more important role for the Devils and face much harder situations. Nemec is better skater than Jiricek and he showed himself in preseason, Devils dont wanna rush him and have no depth for PK role, they dont wanna use two rockies Luke and Simon in the same time, at least at the start of the season.
So for now Nemec is little ahead of Jiricek as all around defenseman with more stability in his game. Not as PP QB, Jiricek is ahead of him, but as two way defenseman. Again - for now. Both have great potential and will develop their game. It should be a great race for them.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Had kind of a lull, while still being solid, after a very impressive start and has been back to being very impressive recently. Feels like he's started shooting the puck more and the kid always wants to go forward, which is great to see.

Reactions: lwvs84

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Declaring him one of the most underrated prospects in the league.

Not on this list

#153 on Pronman list.....

Led his entire team in scoring as a rookie defensemen on one of the worst teams in juniors. His team is so bad.... like bad and he still almost put up point per game. NHL Blackbook and other scouting services had him as the second best defensemen in the draft and a top 3/5 prospect overall. I guess being Russian playing in Canada will do that to you :huh:🤷‍♂️
Pronman has an almost limitless supply of terrible takes, but his Minty takes are going to look extra awful. Kid is a very, very good prospect.

As expected! Kid is a stud. Elite skater (top speed, acceleration and edges, forwards and backwards), nice physical tools (explosive/athletic, perfectly fine size/strength), great hands, good shot, pretty physical, very good hockey IQ (especially offensively, but I think his defensive instincts are good for his age too), good motor.

Such low rankings from some analysts ~1.5 years ago really made no sense.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad