LD Olli Juolevi - TPS, Liiga (2016, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Juolevi is forced to step up if TPS wants to avoid getting ragdolled in the next round. He needs to be the leader in the blueline, very interesting to see how he's gonna face the challenge. Tappara is light years above SaiPa in terms of offensive firepower.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Juolevi is forced to step up if TPS wants to avoid getting ragdolled in the next round. He needs to be the leader in the blueline, very interesting to see how he's gonna face the challenge. Tappara is light years above SaiPa in terms of offensive firepower.
We've played very well vs Tappara this season, I think you're underestimating the chances.

Reactions: Ippenator

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Seems like he’s progressing nicely.
He was forced into a much bigger role, in a big game, and finished with 2 points and a plus 2 with just under 24 minutes of ice.

The thing he has to work on the most is something that is one of the easiest things to actually improve: he needs to get stronger physically.

Reactions: Ippenator

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Finished his game with 26:00 minutes of ice time 4 minutes more then the next player, one assist for him. Hit the post early on which would have gave his team a 2-0 lead. Team is down 3 games to zero, just a matter of time when his team gets eliminated.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
He also.made a soft play defensively at the very end of the game giving up the winning goal.

He still has a long way to go defensively to even be an adequate defender at the NHL level.

His biggest weakness is his low intensity and battle level. Super soft on the boards, he will get creamed in the NHL against bigger forwards

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
He also.made a soft play defensively at the very end of the game giving up the winning goal.

He still has a long way to go defensively to even be an adequate defender at the NHL level.

His biggest weakness is his low intensity and battle level. Super soft on the boards, he will get creamed in the NHL against bigger forwards

You know you have an agenda against a player if you call that goal a soft play by Juolevi. The forward just went through 2 TPS forwards, Juolevi wasn't soft. You could maybe fault him for being a half second to slow to react but that's reaching as it was just a really good play by the forward.

Also I don't think you actually watch him play if you think he's soft on the boards. He's actually quite good at pinning forwards and winning puck battles.

Juolevi's main fault right now is that he's a little slow footed. He's an incredibly smooth skater but he can be a little slow to turn and accelerate.

But seriously if you watch him play 26min as a 19 year old in a men's league and completely ignore everything good he did to point out that he was on the ice for the 1 goal then you're either completely biased or you're just trolling.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

How on earth is that goal Juolevi's fault? Kallio, Palve and Perrin made the soft plays, not Juolevi.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives

Yeah right, maybe watch the video before talking

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
You know you have an agenda against a player if you call that goal a soft play by Juolevi. The forward just went through 2 TPS forwards, Juolevi wasn't soft. You could maybe fault him for being a half second to slow to react but that's reaching as it was just a really good play by the forward.

Also I don't think you actually watch him play if you think he's soft on the boards. He's actually quite good at pinning forwards and winning puck battles.

Juolevi's main fault right now is that he's a little slow footed. He's an incredibly smooth skater but he can be a little slow to turn and accelerate.

But seriously if you watch him play 26min as a 19 year old in a men's league and completely ignore everything good he did to point out that he was on the ice for the 1 goal then you're either completely biased or you're just trolling.
He's always been biased against OJ. As you can see, he always looks for the negative and never acknowledges anything positive.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Despite losing every game, Juolevi's been absolutely terrific in this series. Like you said, his skating lacks edge and he needs to improve on that but in this series he's just outskating pretty much everyone out there. You don't see him being gentle anymore along the boards or at the front of the net which has been another issue for him, both offensively and defensively he looks like a legit #1 guy right now. We needed him to step up his play and he answered the call.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Despite losing every game, Juolevi's been absolutely terrific in this series. Like you said, his skating lacks edge and he needs to improve on that but in this series he's just outskating pretty much everyone out there. You don't see him being gentle anymore along the boards or at the front of the net which has been another issue for him, both offensively and defensively he looks like a legit #1 guy right now. We needed him to step up his play and he answered the call.

You lost every game......I stopped reading after that

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I wish he would have come earlier to Liiga instead staying for one extra year in OHL. I haven't excactly followed him closely but I would imagine he has improved more in his stint in Liiga than in those two years he spent in OHL.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Whether he'll be on the top pair or top four, Canucks need him in the pipeline. They look pretty set on the forward side...they could've been absolutely stacked but will eventually run into the need for a top D anyway.

We're NOT stacked, there's A LOT of people in denial about our prospect situation, which has SERIOUS ISSUES:

1. Peterson is NOT going to play center in the NHL, no way, no how, if he's not doing it in Sweden there's is a 0% chance he does it over here, Peterson is a WINGER, so once again the team finds it's self built from the wing out with ONE decent center,

2. Gaudette's zero points in 5 games is NOT a good sign of things to come, I think he can be realistically considered a third or fourth line guy for the next year or two

3. People can stay as positive about Jake and Joulevi as they like, neither projects to be a core impact player, we couldn't afford to miss on those two drafts, we did, then last yea we took another winger, a winger that looks great, but a winger, now this year we are marooned in a no-man's land OF MORE F'ING WINGERS as far as draft position goes, if there's one thing we DON'T need it more bloody wingers or slow-to-develop-if-they-ever-do defencemen and don't tell me about draft the BPA and trade for what you need, our GM CANNOT MANAGE ASSETS, he cannot trade like other GM's do, if we draft another winger, he's staying

4. Even a complete idiot knows you start building an NHL team by acquiring your top two centers
Bennings predecessor KNEW that and did what it took to get one (Horvat) in his half-decade in Vancouver all Benning has managed to do is acquire are wingers of varying quality....wingers are THE LAST THING you build a team around.....good god we are screwed

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
We're NOT stacked, there's A LOT of people in denial about our prospect situation, which has SERIOUS ISSUES:

1. Peterson is NOT going to play center in the NHL, no way, no how, if he's not doing it in Sweden there's is a 0% chance he does it over here, Peterson is a WINGER, so once again the team finds it's self built from the wing out with ONE decent center,

2. Gaudette's zero points in 5 games is NOT a good sign of things to come, I think he can be realistically considered a third or fourth line guy for the next year or two

3. People can stay as positive about Jake and Joulevi as they like, neither projects to be a core impact player, we couldn't afford to miss on those two drafts, we did, then last yea we took another winger, a winger that looks great, but a winger, now this year we are marooned in a no-man's land OF MORE F'ING WINGERS as far as draft position goes, if there's one thing we DON'T need it more bloody wingers or slow-to-develop-if-they-ever-do defencemen and don't tell me about draft the BPA and trade for what you need, our GM CANNOT MANAGE ASSETS, he cannot trade like other GM's do, if we draft another winger, he's staying

4. Even a complete idiot knows you start building an NHL team by acquiring your top two centers
Bennings predecessor KNEW that and did what it took to get one (Horvat) in his half-decade in Vancouver all Benning has managed to do is acquire are wingers of varying quality....wingers are THE LAST THING you build a team around.....good god we are screwed
The Canucks desperately need to get a top 3 in 2019.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
BTW

What we are seeing now from Joulevi IS his ceiling a good European League defenceman, its the same reason he was not able to elevate his game after being drafted, the same reason, he's STILL getting called out for things

Its the reasons for Salo's "Hope in hell" statement, he sees him for what he is: He doesn't have the NHL desire or intensity, he doesn't have a gear above what we've seen.

There will be no "elevating" his game, he doesn't want to have to work any harder than he already has, he thought he was the best defensemen in his draft when he found out that he wasn't and it would take a whole new level of commitment to move up the ladder he stopped trying, he's probably perfectly comfortable with the type of salary he can make at home,

This one, unlike Jake, is going to be a full-on bust

He a good player, but he's not an NHL player by a MILE.....this one is a write-off, time to move on.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
The Canucks desperately need to get a top 3 in 2019.

You and I both know that isn't going to happen, I predict we are going to drop REALLY far this year,

However that might be a good thing, if we can drop within shot of the first set of centers I think it will be a blessing in disguise

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
terrible.dee is a TERRIBLE judge of talent who likes to PRETEND he's an expert.

And I DON'T know why he insists on CAPITALISING words. As if that makes his point any less nonsensical.

Reactions: drax0s

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
What makes you think this? Unless you're picking in the top3, missing out on the 1st overall pick and Dahlin, there's literally no reason why you would have to pick a winger over a defenceman. Top10 is stacked with defencemen with high-end skill, with a bunch being top5 worthy. I will happily pass on someone like Tkachuk in order to pick one of the defencemen available, im not as down on him as i was with Matthew. I guess you got someone like Wahlstrom, though i wouldn't consider him a clear cut above some of the defencemen in terms of talent. This isn't 2016 when you were in a position where it was a "Dubois/Tkachuk or bust" scenario at 5. Juolevi was never good enough to get picked above any of those guys. Not in terms of how good he was at the time, not in terms of his potential. Can't say the same about this years crop of defencemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad