LD Miro Heiskanen (2017, 3rd, DAL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
How do you guys even enjoy hockey, and great young talents like Miro Heiskanen, when you nitpick and bicker to this degree? Holy crap.
From what I've seen and heard, this is not first time this happens, just someone wanted to point out that Heiskanen sometimes makes mistakes. I am sure he will learn from them and he'll get better defensively. He is a rookie after all. He is a defenseman who has been probably playing little too big role for his team. It's understandable to make mistakes.

He is amazing and still imo one of the best Finnish defenseman in the NHL if not the best.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I like the kid a lot, but honestly I’m getting worried with him not being really that good in what is still always the most important thing for defencemen, and that is preventing the opponents from scoring goals. That is real defence, not some fancy stats or how many takeaways you get, unless they altogether lead into the opponents really scoring rarely against you when you are on the ice.

It baffles me that people nowadays look at something like takeaways and right away on the basis of them decide if a player is great defensively, when honestly takeaways by themselves tell NOTHING about how good a player is defensively. If you are a defenceman and you are playing often with players like Benn, Seguin and Radulov in front of you and you yourself are a defenceman, then no way in hell you should be getting the kind of minuses that Miro is getting at the moment, if you are truly playing well defensively.

The truth is that he hasn't been very consistent defensively. He shows great flashes of brilliance defensively for sure, but he does make mistakes positionally too often at the moment. He is young though, and it is still his rookie season, at a tough spot as a top pair defenceman in a relatively weak or at least mediocre team. He is definitely a super talent, but there’s no way around it that he is still making too much of mistakes defensively, and thus gets way too often scored against. No reason to use excuses for it.
I'm sure Heiskanen would want to play it more safely in his own zone if these players like Benn, Radulov and Seguin could actually score points and not let Heiskanen be their leading scorer in their last 10 games or so.

It seems like the reason why you might see Heiskanen making more mistakes than previously is due to him trying to take part in offence because his team hasn't been scoring nor winning lately.

Dallas has been so mediocre this season that there isn't much Heiskanen could have done to make things any better for Dallas. Some mistakes here and there won't matter at all because most D's will already have made two mistakes by the time Miro makes one. You won't find many teenagers better defensively than Miro.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
yeah he tried joining the rush before the puck was out of his zone, isn't he a d-man ??? shouldn't he be where his partner is ? y'know like actually playing defence

No he was supporting the breakout on the weakside....

Radulov got caught low, Dallas had clear cut possession of the puck. Seguin filled Radulovs lane on the near side, Benn the weakside winger filled Seguin's lane in the middle, the far side lane was vacant and Miro filled it. It was the right read and Dallas should have gotten a clean and easy breakout.

shit happens, it's hockey but you should think more a bit more critically before criticizing a young prospect playing well.

Reactions: Zapp

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wow, he must really be playing well considering how big a deal is being made out of some misplay a week ago.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I remember that Duncan Keith quote from 2 or 3 years ago where they asked why he is so effective offensively, and what advice he has for younger d-man.

Essentially he said just get the shot through with quick wristers or snap shots, and don't spend too much time worrying or practicing the slap shot as the players are too good now a days at getting into lanes and blocking shots.
You can see when he shoots it isn't his stick very long. Very good release.
Unfortunately, Keith hasn’t taken his own advice over the past 4 +/- years. Completely frustrating all of the blocked shots from slapshots, double and triple pumping. If it’s not blocked, it goes wide of the net.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
How would you say Bouwmeester's skating held up against prime Karlsson and Niedermayer's skating?
I mentioned bouwmeester because he too is 6'4 and had these long effortless strides that allowed him to skate with the best of them. Jaybo is still a pretty good skater. Niedermayer was all about skill and technique...great skater but different I feel. They're all exceptional skaters but it's hard to rank them. Straight speed I think niedermayer was the fastest of the bunch. Dont quote me on that. But the point is miro is an exceptional skater and already one of the best in the nhl when it comes to dmen.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I mentioned bouwmeester because he too is 6'4 and had these long effortless strides that allowed him to skate with the best of them. Jaybo is still a pretty good skater. Niedermayer was all about skill and technique...great skater but different I feel. They're all exceptional skaters but it's hard to rank them. Straight speed I think niedermayer was the fastest of the bunch. Dont quote me on that. But the point is miro is an exceptional skater and already one of the best in the nhl when it comes to dmen.

Miro isn't 6'4 though he's 6'1...unless you mean he takes strides as if he's 6'4

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
7 games now without any points..

Klingberg is back and Heiskanen has hit several posts over that span as well. He's back to a more defensive role now that Klingberg is back though. Also 2nd PP unit gets maybe 30 seconds to a minute total a game no matter how many PPs and the team can't score as it is so this isn't really surprising. No points doesn't=not good. He's been fantastic both ways as usual

Last edited:

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
He is not an offensive defenseman, so who cares?

To be more precise, he is a defenseman with plenty of offensive skill who isn't given much opportunity to put up points because he plays very little power play time and the Stars are a low-scoring team, especially at even strength.

Not to mention, Klingberg has only scored 1 pt in 5 games since his return from injury, despite getting ample power play time.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Too much excuse making here. Some people are clearly opposed to any criticism no matter how significant or accurate it is.

Simultaneously you have too many people making simple, stupid criticisms and people taking small issues that they see and blowing them up into big ones.

Reactions: JFG

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Radulov would've gone but there were other forwards in the Central that deserved to go. Good to see Miro go though! I was really hoping they'd send him over a goalie so thank god they did

Kinda feels like they included him over Suter for entertainment purposes cause Stars probably should've sent a goalie

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Radulov would've gone but there were other forwards in the Central that deserved to go. Good to see Miro go though! I was really hoping they'd send him over a goalie so thank god they did

Kinda feels like they included him over Suter for entertainment purposes cause Stars probably should've sent a goalie

He better be in the fastest skater competition.

Reactions: Kcb12345
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad