LD Miro Heiskanen (2017, 3rd, DAL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

The All-Star rookie dman with the beautiful goal

Snaps that drought. He has had some incredible chances tonight, most of them generated by him dangling around in the offensive zone.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
He is ridiculous. I just wish he would show some of these moves more often. Oh well, he is just 19 and taking things easy in his 1st season. I can't wait to see him in few years.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Girl on sportsnet highlight pack just called him
Mikko Heiskanen :facepalm:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
not since karlsson has anyone seen a defenseman that skates so well he can just run up the boards, cut towards the middle of the ice and roof a backhand before the forwards can collapse down defensively. he's just on another level at even strength. he's having a bit of trouble adjusting to the extra amount of ice on the powerplay. he prefers to weave through traffic like most rovers. when he starts to activate himself on the pp and call his own number it's going to be scary.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
not since karlsson has anyone seen a defenseman that skates so well he can just run up the boards, cut towards the middle of the ice and roof a backhand before the forwards can collapse down defensively. he's just on another level at even strength. he's having a bit of trouble adjusting to the extra amount of ice on the powerplay. he prefers to weave through traffic like most rovers. when he starts to activate himself on the pp and call his own number it's going to be scary.

He has improved so much on the PP. The 2nd unit doesn't have much talent to go with it but he has gotten a lot better there

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He has improved so much on the PP. The 2nd unit doesn't have much talent to go with it but he has gotten a lot better there

In general i feel his best role on the PP is one of a shooter / scorer . Not so much the guy running the Powerplay from the point but one that take shots . In theory that should balance out well with Klingberg running the whole thing but who knows how that gonna pan out. As long as Spezza is there the first unit is pretty much set and Miro only gets scraps on the 2nd unit.

Reactions: Kcb12345

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Miro is gonna pop like 20 goals this season. - that shot, that skill set, that calmness, that silky smooth skating #orrlikeplayer

His season so far reminds me of Provorov last year, who tied for the most goals by a defenseman, most of them at even strength. The problem, as I see it, is that if a defenseman scores most of his points as goals at even strength, it is hard to replicate those numbers going forward (see Provorov this season). Although I think Heiskanen is a better player than Provorov (though I feel both are very good), there will inevitably be periods of time when Heiskanen doesn't put up many points and those who don't watch him play, or only look at the point production, will question why he is so highly-touted.

Until Dallas scores more at even strength, in turn resulting in more assists for Heiskanen, he will be hard pressed to consistently put up points.

Still, there is no doubt in my mind that Heiskanen is one of the most talented dmen in the league right now. If I had to rank dmen based on skill alone, there aren't many I'd rank higher than him and that list will only get shorter as Heiskanen matures and he gains even more confidence.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
People keep worrying about his pp production. Who’s to say he doesn’t join Klingberg, Seguin, Benn and Radulov on pp1 next season? They wouldn’t need a pp2.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
People keep worrying about his pp production. Who’s to say he doesn’t join Klingberg, Seguin, Benn and Radulov on pp1 next season? They wouldn’t need a pp2.

It is a good idea, but there are very few teams (I can't actually think of any off the top of my head) who run with two dmen on the first PP unit. I wondered, for example, if San Jose would use two once Karlsson arrived, but they opted to keep Burns and Karlsson separate, for the most part.

However, once Spezza leaves, there really isn't a viable forward option to replace him, unless the Stars sign someone in Free Agency or acquire someone in a trade. With the roster the way it is now, minus Spezza, I can't imagine a better option besides Heiskanen to join the top unit.

EDIT: I just checked, and it looks like (at least lately) Nashville and San Jose have both been running with two dmen on the top PP unit. It doesn't entirely surprise me that Nashville is doing this, given all their injuries lately (especially to Forsberg). And I know San Jose didn't start off with Burns and Karlsson together on the top unit, but perhaps the change to the PP units partially explains why Karlsson's production has increased significantly lately, after a horrible start with San Jose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca