LD Miro Heiskanen (2017, 3rd, DAL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
For those questioning his +/-, his -2 last night was a result of turnovers by teammates. One was on the opposite side of the ice from him and the other was after Heiskanen passed it to a teammate up the side wall who proceeded to turn it over at the blue line. Neither one were his fault.
doesn't matter, if he's on the ice, he has a chance to stop that goal from going in, stop making excuses.

Reactions: Ippenator

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
doesn't matter, if he's on the ice, he has a chance to stop that goal from going in, stop making excuses.

Or we could use +/- for what it is - stat that is only really useful (and even that’s a stretch) when comparing to his teammates.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
By Heiskanen's standards, that was a weak play. He's known to anticipate situations like that.

Of course he was just doing exactly what the coach wants him to in that situation - give his teammate an outlet. It's not his fault Radulov fumbled the puck.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
yeah he tried joining the rush before the puck was out of his zone, isn't he a d-man ??? shouldn't he be where his partner is ? y'know like actually playing defence

Hes right where he should be for the pass. You clearly don't understand hockey. Your team isn't playing defense when the puck is on your stick.. what an awful take.

kVe3ORJ.jpg

Reactions: FrankGallagher

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Hes right where he should be for the pass. You clearly don't understand hockey. Your team isn't playing defense when the puck is on your stick.. what an awful take.

kVe3ORJ.jpg
he prematurely joined the rush instead of being in his position, what's so hard to understand

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don't agree with that guys statement, but that goal actually kind of was his fault. Maybe not directly, but he should've been closer to the front of the net instead of rushing up the ice.

You could make an argument about every player being at fault for most goals.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
He's gotta be a good one at 19 years old when people search for goals where his at fault.
I didn't search for anything Mrheiskanen linked me the goal that was Heiskanen fault for being out of position. i guess when you're bad defensively the flaws/mistakes just pop up right in front of your face

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I didn't search for anything Mrheiskanen linked me the goal that was Heiskanen fault for being out of position. i guess when you're bad defensively the flaws/mistakes just pop up right in front of your face
You went a bit overboard here, the trolling is too obvious.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I like the kid a lot, but honestly I’m getting worried with him not being really that good in what is still always the most important thing for defencemen, and that is preventing the opponents from scoring goals. That is real defence, not some fancy stats or how many takeaways you get, unless they altogether lead into the opponents really scoring rarely against you when you are on the ice.

It baffles me that people nowadays look at something like takeaways and right away on the basis of them decide if a player is great defensively, when honestly takeaways by themselves tell NOTHING about how good a player is defensively. If you are a defenceman and you are playing often with players like Benn, Seguin and Radulov in front of you and you yourself are a defenceman, then no way in hell you should be getting the kind of minuses that Miro is getting at the moment, if you are truly playing well defensively.

The truth is that he hasn't been very consistent defensively. He shows great flashes of brilliance defensively for sure, but he does make mistakes positionally too often at the moment. He is young though, and it is still his rookie season, at a tough spot as a top pair defenceman in a relatively weak or at least mediocre team. He is definitely a super talent, but there’s no way around it that he is still making too much of mistakes defensively, and thus gets way too often scored against. No reason to use excuses for it.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
It was Radulov's fault, no one else.
Yes Radulov made the first mistake, but the defense should be able to anticipate Radulov messing up. As a defenseman you shouldn't just assume your teammates are going to make the right play. If you have that attitude, then every time your teammates mess up, you give the opposition a prime scoring chance. (Hint: Players in the NHL make a lot of mistakes). Both the defenders and Radulov are accountable for that goal being scored.

Heiskanen: Was out of position
Radulov: Mishandling the puck in his own zone.
Other defender: Played the mini 2v1 kind of poorly (although he was the one least at fault)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Yes Radulov made the first mistake, but the defense should be able to anticipate Radulov messing up. As a defenseman you shouldn't just assume your teammates are going to make the right play. If you have that attitude, then every time your teammates mess up, you give the opposition a prime scoring chance. (Hint: Players in the NHL make a lot of mistakes). Both the defenders and Radulov are accountable for that goal being scored.
This is exactly how it is, and this is why Heiskanen is not (at least yet) very good defensively at the NHL level. It’s an extremely important aspect to great defending, especially if you are playing in a bit offensively active role as a defenceman. You just need to understand this and at least learn how to become good at it without allowing too many goals when you are on the ice.

Reactions: Castle8130

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
This is exactly how it is, and this is why Heiskanen is not (at least yet) very good defensively at the NHL level. It’s an extremely important aspect to great defending, especially if you are playing in a bit offensively active role as a defenceman. You just need to understand this and at least learn how to become good at it without allowing too many goals when you are on the ice.

How many times have you watched Heiskanen, honestly?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
How many times have you watched Heiskanen, honestly?
A lot. Probably at least as much as you. I watched him play in already over 40 games last season (Liiga and national team games). And this season I have seen him play in about 20 games. He makes positional mistakes way too often. But he can also often make up for them with his excellent skating. I’m really a fan of his, but I can also admit that he has something to learn with his positional play and timing. I generally love every Finnish young talent, but I will admit still when they have some faults too.

Reactions: Slimmy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->