LD Miro Heiskanen (2017, 3rd, DAL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He's been doing even better than I anticipated and that was just one wicked shot! How long is Klingberg out exactly?

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
He could have even more points if Benn and Seguin wouldn't be so mediocre scoring wise lately. At least Seguin has had a lot of bad puck luck with posts and Benn hasn't been lightning it up either. But I guess it's still nice to see him getting points by his own actions and not by some lucky bounces or rebounds.

Also he is currently 4th in points from Dallas (well, basically 5th since Klingberg only has 3 less points in 15 less games) which is pretty good for a teenager rookie defenceman whose offence, according to experts, was a concern at the higher level.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
How come he isn't getting any hype or recognition around the league, whereas Dahlin has already been touted as "generational" and has had multiple threads on main boards...

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
How come he isn't getting any hype or recognition around the league, whereas Dahlin has already been touted as "generational" and has had multiple threads on main boards...
He wasn't 1st overall so he doesn't have that automatic hype around him and he plays for a smaller market than Buffalo. Also, Dahlin made some headlines before his draft by scoring some sick invidual effort goals which helped him to be a lot more recognizable to the public than Heiskanen before the players played their 1st NHL game.

It also didn't help that Heiskanen played with injury in World Juniors while Dahlin had a great showing in there. After that display between the players, the public had already made their mind which player was better.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He wasn't 1st overall so he doesn't have that automatic hype around him and he plays for a smaller market than Buffalo. Also, Dahlin made some headlines before his draft by scoring some sick invidual effort goals which helped him to be a lot more recognizable to the public than Heiskanen before the players played their 1st NHL game.

It also didn't help that Heiskanen played with injury in World Juniors while Dahlin had a great showing in there. After that display between the players, the public had already made their mind which player was better.

Craig Button's article about Heiskanen today was surprising to see. Compared his defensive style and game to Lidstrom's

Wasn't Button also the one that had both Heiskanen and Pettersson both ranked around 9-11 on his top prospects list when they were clearly top 5 or even top 3 at the time? Lol. I think he openly admitted to being wrong too

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Craig Button's article about Heiskanen today was surprising to see. Compared his defensive style and game to Lidstrom's

Wasn't Button also the one that had both Heiskanen and Pettersson both ranked around 9-11 on his top prospects list when they were clearly top 5 or even top 3 at the time? Lol. I think he openly admitted to being wrong too

Pretty sure that was Pronman who had Pettersson at like 10 and Heiskanen at around 15.

Though Button too had Heiskanen at only 8, but Pettersson 1st.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

That was Cory pronman. And that was at the end of last season after pettersson and miro finished their awesome seasons. He had Casey mittelstadt as the best drafted player at the time. button smokes pronman on prospects rankings any day of the week.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad

Dallas is a much, much bigger market than Buffalo. But of course Buffalo gets a lot more attention when it comes to hockey.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Dallas is a much, much bigger market than Buffalo. But of course Buffalo gets a lot more attention when it comes to hockey.

While it's dwarfed in terms of population, I would argue that Buffalo is still a bigger hockey market than Dallas....doesn't it lead the country in total viewer numbers every year? Now that could be a result of its' extreme proximity to Canada, but it's not a stretch to say hockey is more popular there than it is in Texas. Especially when compared to other pro sports in the city.

I don't think the Stars are the top dogs in Dallas these days, though I could be wrong.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
While it's dwarfed in terms of population, I would argue that Buffalo is still a bigger hockey market than Dallas....doesn't it lead the country in total viewer numbers every year? Now that could be a result of its' extreme proximity to Canada, but it's not a stretch to say hockey is more popular there than it is in Texas. Especially when compared to other pro sports in the city.

I don't think the Stars are the top dogs in Dallas these days, though I could be wrong.

Just talking about market size. I suppose there may be multiple ways to think of the word market. In the way I've always seen it used Dallas is #5 and Buffalo is #52.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

The Stars will never be top dog as long as as the Cowboys exist.

After them, though, it probably is a toss-up right now.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The Stars will never be top dog as long as as the Cowboys exist.

After them, though, it probably is a toss-up right now.

I figured as much, and I'm sure it's a toss-up between them and the Mavs.

But I'm also thinking it's just as likely that the woeful Bills still draw more interest than the Sabres.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Miro Heiskanen's Texas-sized expectations

Through 30 games, the rookie defenseman has 15 points and is skating 23 minutes per game, highest among first-year players and third-highest on the Stars.

Since 2006, only six players have averaged 23 minutes per game or more. Some of the names on that list: Drew Doughty, Tyler Myers and Duncan Keith.

For that second quote, I have to assume they mean rookies. Still, not too often a rookie can step right into the top pairing and almost feel right at home the way Miro has.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
19 years old and already showing his capabilities. On pace for 40 plus points. Most d men take a long time to develop and at 19 he is already contributing. No offense to Nolan and Nico but I wonder if Miro and Elias would easily go above them in a redraft.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
19 years old and already showing his capabilities. On pace for 40 plus points. Most d men take a long time to develop and at 19 he is already contributing. No offense to Nolan and Nico but I wonder if Miro and Elias would easily go above them in a redraft.
Gee ya think? Lol.

chewbaccaman

Aug 31, 2018
Seattle
You wonder? It's been pretty much confirmed by their play this season.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I feel for Philadelphia. Patrick was probably the right pick at #2 but they got the short end of the stick there. It's likely New Jersey, Dallas, Colorado and Vancouver all came out with superior players.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I feel for Philadelphia. Patrick was probably the right pick at #2 but they got the short end of the stick there. It's likely New Jersey, Dallas, Colorado and Vancouver all came out with superior players.
No way Patrick was the right pick at number 2, as there were several better players in the draft after him. I questioned already then if Patrick should be even in the top 10. He was by a mile overhyped compared to anyone else in the top 10. Not that productive really, and injury prone like hell. I wouldn't had most probably drafted him even in the top 10. And this is how I felt seriously before the draft. Of course a North American (or at least Canadian) GM couldn’t ever pick him later than top 5 at worst, or maybe even top 3 at worst, as the pressure for picking the nicely hyped homeboy early, was just way too strong to overcome.

Reactions: Loffer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino