LD Jake Walman (2014, 82nd, STL)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'm more interested in how he is playing than whether he is a traitor or not.

Came here to say this.. stats wise he's been unreal it looks.. what's the word on his future?.. sign with st Louis after the year? Stay in ncaa again?

I'm intrigued by this guy... who's a good nhl comparison?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
So I guess Hockey Canada shouldn't want Chychrun then either? After all, the only reason he came into the picture with Hockey Canada is because the US denied him a USHL roster spot as a 15 year old.

He does have pretty strong Canadian ties, especially family and hockey ones.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I think these guys are free to do want they want. Isn't that what our society is about?

It would be interesting however to think about the NHL as a totally Canadian league where professional hockey players could stay in Canada or at least had the choice. It seems like every year there are players that are the offspring of Canadian hockey players, born in the USA rising through the American ranks to near elite player staus. Bellows, Turgeon and MacInnis are guys of note this year.

Hmmmmmm just think how interesting it would be to see the sons of Manning, Brady, Peterson,and Newton don the Maple Leaf and play for Team Canada.

WE want Missy Franklin back too!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

If he's good enough... take him.
Agree. Hockey Canada is run by adults and they should act accordingly. To be spiteful over a decision made by a 19 year old kid is below them. Grow up, invite him and let his play decide.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Agree. Hockey Canada is run by adults and they should act accordingly. To be spiteful over a decision made by a 19 year old kid is below them. Grow up, invite him and let his play decide.
Thank god there are some people with logic on this site. So many whiny children in this thread. :laugh:

Walman chose a country. It was a 50/50 decision. It's not like he spit on the Canadian flag and insulted them, good lord.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I'm well aware of what he said, considering I read it already. If McKenzie is mentioning the easier route as a reason for Walman to try out for USA, there is very likely a reason.

He is not doing that at all. McKenzie is specifically speculating that it may be a reason.

Nuance is hard.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He is not doing that at all. McKenzie is specifically speculating that it may be a reason.

Nuance is hard.

Mckenzie said back in July that Walman went with Team USA, because he personally felt that he would have had an easier time making Team USA than Canada. Mckenzie talked to a source close to Team Canada, and that is what Walman had told that source. Not sure who that source was, but Walman went with Team USA because of that reason.

Fast forward to now, i would still invite Walman and would not hold his decision against him. Guy is a 19 year old kid who wanted to play in the WJC. He felt that there was a less of a logjam playing for the States at his position. It is not like he denounced Canada. I would extend the olive branch.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

:handclap: Some adults in this thread need to take a step back. Let him play!!

Jack has a VERY strong knowledge of hockey and he writes well. He usually applies common sense to every comment so his position surprised me. Having said that, I get the impression Mr.Slater is a "You damn kids get off my lawn" kinda guy so... ;)

Thank god there are some people with logic on this site. So many whiny children in this thread. :laugh:.

Usually, I'm the childish one. I've been called the "Ultimate HF Troll" for good reason.

Walman chose a country. It was a 50/50 decision. It's not like he spit on the Canadian flag and insulted them, good lord.

Yes.

Fast forward to now, i would still invite Walman and would not hold his decision against him. Guy is a 19 year old kid who wanted to play in the WJC. He felt that there was a less of a logjam playing for the States at his position. It is not like he denounced Canada. I would extend the olive branch.

Exactly. Besides, if he turns out to be a terrific pro, we don't want to look back and say (ala Brett Hull), "We should have let him play".

HC needs to get over it. If he tries out and he doesn't make it, we're not out anything. If he helps the team, we're ahead of the game.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Hmmmmmm just think how interesting it would be to see the sons of Manning, Brady, Peterson,and Newton don the Maple Leaf and play for Team Canada.

I don't think anyone in the US would care. We produce enough football and basketball players as it is. No one cares Andrew Wiggins has American parents, but is Canadian.

Plus, barely any Americans actually stay in Canada and raise their kids there anyway. I can't think of any that have. No hockey or basketball players have stayed, even Doug Flutie came back to the US.

Its been mentioned in other threads, these kids are mercenaries now for the most part.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think anyone in the US would care. We produce enough football and basketball players as it is. No one cares Andrew Wiggins has American parents, but is Canadian.

Plus, barely any Americans actually stay in Canada and raise their kids there anyway. I can't think of any that have. No hockey or basketball players have stayed, even Doug Flutie came back to the US.

Its been mentioned in other threads, these kids are mercenaries now for the most part.

Andrew Wiggins's mother was a former Canadian Olympian. So, both his parents are not American, but i get your point.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Mckenzie said back in July that Walman went with Team USA, because he personally felt that he would have had an easier time making Team USA than Canada. Mckenzie talked to a source close to Team Canada, and that is what Walman had told that source. Not sure who that source was, but Walman went with Team USA because of that reason.

Was this something McKenzie said on TV or is there a link to back that up?

I am just trying to get my hands on the first-hand info. Thanks.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Was this something McKenzie said on TV or is there a link to back that up?

I am just trying to get my hands on the first-hand info. Thanks.
I remember him saying that on TV back in the summer. Not sure what date though. He said it just as the summer evaluation camps were announced, and Walman made his decision to go with USA. That was the past. Like I said earlier- if I was Hockey Canada, I would still invite Walman to camp if he would be willing to accept the invitation.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I remember him saying that on TV back in the summer. Not sure what date though. He said it just as the summer evaluation camps were announced, and Walman made his decision to go with USA.

I see. I would probably think similarly to Walman if I were in his position, but he should have never admitted to that.:)

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I see. I would probably think similarly to Walman if I were in his position, but he should have never admitted to that.:)

Walman never admitted anything like that, it was McKenzie that made the speculation.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Walman never admitted anything like that, it was McKenzie that made the speculation.

Either Mehar is right that McKenzie claims he knows or McKenzie speculated. I have not seen the TV segment.

In the article written by McKenzie, he is not claiming to know anything.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Either Mehar is right that McKenzie claims he knows or McKenzie speculated. I have not seen the TV segment.

In the article written by McKenzie, he is not claiming to know anything.

I am talking about the brief TV segment on TSN back in the summer. I am just going by what Mckenzie claims he knows. Maybe he is making it up, but i always found Mckenzie to be a good source, and not a guy who makes up things. Anyways- like i said earlier, this is a 19 year old young guy who wanted to play in the WJC. If he felt that making Team USA is easier, so what? I do not get the uproar. Guy is a "dual citizen".

Even though he was born and raised in Toronto, if he felt that making Team Canada was a lot tougher, i would still respect his decision on trying out for Team USA. Now- i would not hold it against him. I would invite him and let him make Team Canada. He did not denounce Canada, but felt he would have been more of a lock on Team USA. Walman played for Canada before- in the 2013 World Junior A Challenge, in case people forgot about that fact. Give him a break and send him an invite. No need to hold grudges for petty things.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think it's pretty likely he's invited to selection camp tomorrow. Not sure how likely it is he actually makes the team though. He has a lot of good competition.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
If he gets the invite to camp he will make the team. He will also be a top 4 guy if HC looks past politics.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
I'm OP of this thread (keep in mind, STL hadn't drafted him when I made it but check the OP).

Put yourself in Walman's shoes:
-When he accepted the US invitation, he had virtually no chance of making the Canadian WJC team.
-He was pursued by USA hockey, he didn't reach out to them
-He accepted their offer, considering he is technically eligible, he had a good shot of making the team, and a much better shot of not making Team Canada at the time

What would you do? You're a guy who wasn't even supposed to be drafted, exploded your draft year and climbed the ranking. Then had a solid rookie year in the NCAA and would have been an after thought for the Canadian WJC team but were offered an opportunity to play for another team, to gain that national exposure.

Any person claiming to have so much pride that they wouldn't have done the same is lying.

Let's keep in mind for Walman, at the time, the decision was either:
A) Probably make the US WJC team
B) Almost certainty get cut by the CAN WJC team

It's not as if he had a good shot of making both teams, at the time, but decided to join the one he has a better shot of making.

By the way, Walman is up to about 205 now.

He was at like 155 before the draft, put on about 20lbs from working out & eating big for the draft to reach 175. He's now up to 205, and very lean.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I am talking about the brief TV segment on TSN back in the summer. I am just going by what Mckenzie claims he knows. Maybe he is making it up, but i always found Mckenzie to be a good source, and not a guy who makes up things. Anyways- like i said earlier, this is a 19 year old young guy who wanted to play in the WJC. If he felt that making Team USA is easier, so what? I do not get the uproar. Guy is a "dual citizen".

Even though he was born and raised in Toronto, if he felt that making Team Canada was a lot tougher, i would still respect his decision on trying out for Team USA. Now- i would not hold it against him. I would invite him and let him make Team Canada. He did not denounce Canada, but felt he would have been more of a lock on Team USA. Walman played for Canada before- in the 2013 World Junior A Challenge, in case people forgot about that fact. Give him a break and send him an invite. No need to hold grudges for petty things.

Yeah, I feel that some people are too judgmental and taking this too personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad