LD Jake Walman (2014, 82nd, STL)

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
Anyone have a report on this guy...Comparisons? Projections? Insanely skilled forward who was tiny and converted to D just a few years ago and is now a Providence commit. Now he's like 6'1 175, put on a ton of muscle but still has a lot of room for growth.

Was told Toronto and STL really like him.

Thoughts?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Anyone have a report on this guy...Comparisons? Projections? Insanely skilled forward who was tiny and converted to D just a few years ago and is now a Providence commit. Now he's like 6'1 175, put on a ton of muscle but still has a lot of room for growth.

Thoughts?

By whom?

I'm not surprised, He seems like a Morrison type of player.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
By whom?

I'm not surprised, He seems like a Morrison type of player.

Can't say in public, mod can PM me to verify.

Anyone who watched him able to give a report?

He started working out 6 months ago and went up 20lbs from 165-185 and is 6'1. Plenty of time for him to continue to get bigger in the NCAA.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
As a Friars fan I really hope he stays with the NCAA route as from what I've read he would get plenty of ice time hi first year and Providence could really use his skillset from what I've read. Hopefully drafted by a team that wants to give him a few years to fill out and develop

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
"Walman makes good decisions with the puck, whether it be carrying or passing. He is still growing, but has shown good offensive instincts with glimpses of PP QB potential. A great skater with speed and acceleration, Walman’s lateral mobility is also a plus. With a good shot to boot, Walman is also an athletic specimen, which has greatly added his position transition."

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
"Walman makes good decisions with the puck, whether it be carrying or passing. He is still growing, but has shown good offensive instincts with glimpses of PP QB potential. A great skater with speed and acceleration, Walman’s lateral mobility is also a plus. With a good shot to boot, Walman is also an athletic specimen, which has greatly added his position transition."

NHL player comp? Gardiner?

Skid

Sep 26, 2005
Canada
Prapavessis and Seney are light years ahead of him. So maybe he is #3 in the league.
Does everything well but nothing great to be honest. He's a stand out cause he's team is very weak

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
Prapavessis and Seney are light years ahead of him. So maybe he is #3 in the league.
Does everything well but nothing great to be honest. He's a stand out cause he's team is very weak

Interesting. You're the first person I've heard say he's not the clear cut best OJHL guy this year.

SeanLafortune

@SeanLafortune
Jun 13, 2013
www.thescout.ca

Thoughts?

He actually played defence growing up. Switched to forward at bantam when he was with the Red Wings and moved back in Midget. It probably did him well, hes a much more offensively aggressive player now. I do think the needs to calm it down a bit, be more strategic with his decisions, but the long term upside is pretty impressive.

Interesting. You're the first person I've heard say he's not the clear cut best OJHL guy this year.

Walman will be a second round pick, just a matter of where. Growth that he has left in his game will dictate that. Prapavessis is similar, not quite as raw, maybe a little lower ceiling but talented regardless. Id prject 4-5th round, but was quite impressive in the second half. Seney is a good Jr. A player but probably not a pick at this point, lack of size and strength, skill level probably won't translate well to the next level. Jake Evans of the St. Michael's Buzzers has a better chance to be a late round pick.

Skid

Sep 26, 2005
Canada
Walman will be a second round pick, just a matter of where. Growth that he has left in his game will dictate that. Prapavessis is similar, not quite as raw, maybe a little lower ceiling but talented regardless. Id prject 4-5th round, but was quite impressive in the second half. Seney is a good Jr. A player but probably not a pick at this point, lack of size and strength, skill level probably won't translate well to the next level. Jake Evans of the St. Michael's Buzzers has a better chance to be a late round pick.

Jake Evans won't do as well as Seney at the next level. Evans took a real step back this year in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Walman won every individual player award there was to win in the OJHL. He's a clearly a step above any other player in this league. Not sure why the other poster is saying he wasn't top 3... thats ridiculous.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He's taking summer courses at Providence, there's no chance he goes to the OHL next season but would it be better for his development?

If he were my team's prospect I'd prefer Providence, though at the end of the day you can't ever say one place is better than another for a specific prospect except in retrospect. Providence is a strong program right now. Anyone going there is in safe hands. I look forward to seeing how Buffalo's Anthony Florentino continues to grow there. I imagine Calgary fans feel good about the growth of their guys there as well.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
He's taking summer courses at Providence, there's no chance he goes to the OHL next season but would it be better for his development?

Good read. He's already put on a ton of weight since the season ended, I figure he's up to ~195 in a few years when he's completely filled out.

Really can't say where a kid will go until after he's drafted. While an NHL team can't choose where he goes... it could be strongly suggested by management that he takes one route or the other.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
If he were my team's prospect I'd prefer Providence, though at the end of the day you can't ever say one place is better than another for a specific prospect except in retrospect. Providence is a strong program right now. Anyone going there is in safe hands. I look forward to seeing how Buffalo's Anthony Florentino continues to grow there. I imagine Calgary fans feel good about the growth of their guys there as well.

As a Providence fan I am a little biased but I would have to agree with you. Providence right now is a good program but still on the rise. They play against tough competition almost every weekend and the college schedule will give him plenty of time in the weight room. Also, Providence is a team that stresses defense so there should be no concern that his own end play will improve with a solid coaching staff.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I think Florentino is one of the more under the radar prospects around.

Neugs

Jun 14, 2011
As someone that saw both Prapavessis and Walman quite extensively this past year, the statement that Praps is ahead now and Walman could be ahead in future is definitely true. Prapavessis was the best skater (as in not goalie) in the OJHL this past year and while Walman has loads of raw talent, I really don't see it as enough to make him as necessarily a surefire NHL prospect. Praps has to become a better skater, and he has to add snarl (and the muscle to go with it), but he has hockey IQ in absolute spades. Walman will ride the hype machine to a much higher pick, but I'd rather pass on him and take Praps later, if I'm interested an OJHL defenceman in this draft.

Neugs

Jun 14, 2011
PS I like Joe Seney, don't get me wrong, but draft prospect is questionable in my mind right now. Jake Evans will probably go somewhere very late, I agree.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Pretty good start to the season.

Hat trick and an assist yesterday for Providence. First scorer on the team as of now with 10 points (6 goals) in 6 games.

Anyone has seen him play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad