LD Jake Walman (2014, 82nd, STL)

EdwardTK

Jul 3, 2014
So another 2 goal game for Walman.

CT0D-c1WcAA7SUB.jpg:large

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
hes drafted to a team with a pretty damn deep d core... I would imagine Blues would encourage one more year after this year in NCAA and then sign him? ... or do Blues fans think this may be his final year before going pro

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
hes drafted to a team with a pretty damn deep d core... I would imagine Blues would encourage one more year after this year in NCAA and then sign him? ... or do Blues fans think this may be his final year before going pro

No idea but it helps him that he plays the left side. Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Parayko and top prospect J. Schmaltz are all righties so Walman should have an easier time breaking in as a lefty.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
No idea but it helps him that he plays the left side. Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Parayko and top prospect J. Schmaltz are all righties so Walman should have an easier time breaking in as a lefty.

Ya good call... they are pretty deep on the right side.

Very intrigued by this guy... whos a good NHL comparison

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
That is a good question. I am not sure. He doesn't have Parayko's power on his shot, but it is accurate and he is getting it through..

Maybe a Shattenkirk type of dman. I am very interested in seeing how he does at the WJC against other top players his age.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I saw him when he came to Colgate. Was easily the best player on the ice for either teams, it felt like he had 10 shots on goal and was out there half the game. I don't remember his exact stat line but he definitely had a few points, and then he did it again the next day haha, really made me wish Montreal took him

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Jake Walman (StLouis, 2014, 82nd overall)

A defenseman drafted by the Blues in 2014 that plays in the NCAA.. Leads the nation in goals as a defenseman with 9 goals in 9 games. Has anyone seen him play?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
A defenseman drafted by the Blues in 2014 that plays in the NCAA.. Leads the nation in goals as a defenseman with 9 goals in 9 games. Has anyone seen him play?

I've caught some Friars games this year. Walman has some wheels and an incredible shot. Decision-making on the rush is a WIP imo. Most of his goals have been scored on point shots set up by his D-partner (Often John Gilmour), or the dominant cycling line of Brandon Tanev, Mark Jankowski, and Trevor Mingoia. The Friars are a really good team so they dominate possession, his shot numbers might be a bit inflated for that reason. I wouldn't say Walman is their best defensive defenseman or anything but he's been solid in his end when I've caught him play. Another great draft pick by the Blues. He'll develop really well at Providence.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Is he American or Canadian ? He's on the list for both Team Canada and USA WJC Camp rosters ?

He was born and raised in Toronto, but decided to accept Team USA's camp invitation. I read that one of the reasons he decided to go with Team USA, was because he felt that he had a better chance to make their team over Canada.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He was born and raised in Toronto, but decided to accept Team USA's camp invitation. I read that one of the reasons he decided to go with Team USA, was because he felt that he had a better chance to make their team over Canada.

It's pretty embarrassing. I've been wondering if he has a bigger connection to USA than just... seemingly nothing. Obviously he has citizenship, but he isn't even one of the players who went the national team development route.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
kid is on fire... is he best dman in NCAA right now?.. almost at the top of overall NCAA scoring

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Why shouldn't they? Hockey Canada is in the business of putting out good hockey teams for this tournament if Walman is one of the 7 best defensemen available why shouldn't they take him?

Why would you take a traitor? Kid doesn't even know what nationality he is. What a loser. You fight for your position if your Canadian not do the weak thing and go to another country and play for them.

That's horrible character, which is not what Canadian Hockey is about from what history tells us.

They should ban him from entering Canada as well during the off season. :sarcasm:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Why shouldn't they? Hockey Canada is in the business of putting out good hockey teams for this tournament if Walman is one of the 7 best defensemen available why shouldn't they take him?

If a player who is born and raised in Canada tries to play for USA (because he has eligibility since his mother comes from there), then he has clearly indicated that he is not someone that Hockey Canada should consider. I would hope that they only pick Canadian players who want to play for Canada, not those who tried out for team USA thinking it would be easier. If Walman is marginally or even significantly better than his competition it shouldn't matter. There is no need for Canadian hockey to stoop that low.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If a player who is born and raised in Canada tries to play for USA (because he has eligibility since his mother comes from there), then he has clearly indicated that he is not someone that Hockey Canada should consider. I would hope that they only pick Canadian players who want to play for Canada, not those who tried out for team USA thinking it would be easier. If Walman is marginally or even significantly better than his competition it shouldn't matter. There is no need for Canadian hockey to stoop that low.

Agree with this position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad