LD Jake Sanderson - Univ. of North Dakota, NCAA (2020, 5th, OTT) Part 2

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I’ve got tempered expectation for him, I don’t expect him to be a top ten defensemen in his prime but if he becomes a staple in the defense corps, he’s the exact type of guy you win the cup with.

I can see him as one of those analytic darlings that always seem to be underrated. Slavin-esque

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I’ve got tempered expectation for him, I don’t expect him to be a top ten defensemen in his prime but if he becomes a staple in the defense corps, he’s the exact type of guy you win the cup with.

I can see him as one of those analytic darlings that always seem to be underrated. Slavin-esque

I'm the opposite. I don't know know why people think he has muted upside. I see a guy who can dominate all 3 zones and all situations. Just so smart with a good frame and his skating is ridiculous too. All the makings of a future Norris contender to me.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Yeah I think this will be Sanderson's year and people will finally stop having these little doubts about him. Kids a gamer.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
This guy is going to be a big time player at the NHL level. The exact type of D a team like Toronto or Edmonton needs to win them a cup. Good for Ottawa.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I'm the opposite. I don't know know why people think he has muted upside. I see a guy who can dominate all 3 zones and all situations. Just so smart with a good frame and his skating is ridiculous too. All the makings of a future Norris contender to me.

He definitely has all the tools to be a star defenseman in the NHL. Of course, the big question will be seeing if it actually translates to the NHL. But there are pretty much no flaws in his game, and the improvements in his offensive game are very exciting to watch.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
He's Slavin with higher offensive upside, that reeks top 10 D in NHL in his prime plus a couple Norris'

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
How many players in NHL history have multiple norris’?
Multiple norris nominations i can get on board with, but I doubt he wins multiple Norris’.

Yeah maybe multiple Norris' is a boost but I can see him winning 1 for sure, I think he's going to be much better than Chabot.

Elite skater, elite shutdown ability, elite IQ and his offensive abilities continue to improve. You can't pull the dangles he was doing in OT of an elimination playoff game or the toe drag snipes without having a great deal of skill.

We'll see how much more he can improve on but a Slavin with more offensive upside screams one of the best D in the league

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017

My biggest thing is, if he becomes an automatic zone entry and zone exit in the NHL like he’s shown in so far, I could care less about how many points he gets.

Excited for him to come into the league.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's excellent on the breakout, but inside the offensive zone he's more of a 2nd PP type of player.

I think 30-40P a year is realistic, with 40-50P upside.

It's his all-around game that is so exciting. Elite defensive zone play, IQ and skating. Slavin isn't a bad comparable as far as potential impact.

Reactions: 99ovr

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Sanderson has such high hockey sense that I wouldn’t be opposed to having both him and Chabot on PP1 if it works and give the reigns of the second unit to Brannstrom.

Opens up a lot of options for us, having a player like him. That shot from the point is looking good too.

Reactions: Dionysus

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He probably deserves a lot more recognition than he has gotten tbh. Probably will change after the WJC though.
Because of what? Most of the upper half of 2020 draft played against men, many showing very good things at AHL, World Champs, or even NHL. What's the argument that should give Sanderson more recognition?

Reactions: Dominance

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Here is Pierre Mcguire take on Sanderson for anyone interested;

GARRIOCH: Pierre McGuire impressed with first-hand look at prospects Sanderson, Boucher, Kleven and Merilainen | Ottawa Sun

Jake Sanderson, 19, D, University of North Dakota (NCAA)
Taken two picks after the Senators made Tim Stuetzle the No. 3 overall selection, Sanderson was impressive.

“He was the best player in the tournament,” McGuire said.

The Senators wanted to bring him out of the University of North Dakota to turn pro this season, but he opted to stay another year and nobody in the Ottawa organization has an issue with that decision.

“He can control the tempo of the game. He knows when to speed it up and he knows when to slow it down,” McGuire said. “He’s a great first-pass defenceman coming out of his own zone and nine out of 10 times it’s tape-to-tape and it’s hard and precise. In the offensive zone, he controls the flow of the game amazingly well and usually it takes a lot of defencemen a long time to do that. You can see it’s not going to be an adjustment for him.

“His peripheral vision is phenomenal. There are areas he needs to improve to get to the next level, but for a 19-year-old kid he’s impressive and he’s very, very talented.”

McGuire said Sanderson needs to improve his shot by “utilizing it more and one-timing pucks more often. He’s always looking to make a really nice pass rather than a hard play on on goal.

But McGuire noted those aren’t major concerns because Sanderson will get the chance to play big minutes at UND and he’ll also play a key role for Team USA at the world junior tournament.

“I equate this to Brian Leetch when I saw him at Boston College, Scott Niedermayer in Kamloops, Cale Makar at the University of Massachusetts and Chris Pronger, who I helped draft and coach in Hartford,” said McGuire. “All that extra time helps those defencemen dominate. The fact Jake is going back to college will allow him to dominate more offensively and it will enhance his game a ton.”

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Because of what? Most of the upper half of 2020 draft played against men, many showing very good things at AHL, World Champs, or even NHL. What's the argument that should give Sanderson more recognition?

Because of his play as a freshman in big games? Other prospects have nothing to do with either, odd point to bring up. I'm not sitting here saying he is better than everyone else or going to be better than everyone else. I really don't get your angle here. Like at all.

A poster was suggesting he was getting a lot of hype, my opinion is that he deserves more. You can disagree with that if you want. I don't care.

FWIW Sanderson would have been at the World Championship if not for a issue with his passport. I'm not gonna use the fact that he decided to play college hockey against him. Especially because some prospects got to play a handful of games in the AHL because of a damn pandemic.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Because of his play as a freshman in big games? Other prospects have nothing to do with either, odd point to bring up. I'm not sitting here saying he is better than everyone else or going to be better than everyone else. I really don't get your angle here. Like at all.

A poster was suggesting he was getting a lot of hype, my opinion is that he deserves more. You can disagree with that if you want. I don't care.

FWIW Sanderson would have been at the World Championship if not for a issue with his passport. I'm not gonna use the fact that he decided to play college hockey against him. Especially because some prospects got to play a handful of games in the AHL because of a damn pandemic.
Can't expect casual fans or mainstream outlets to rave about a kid because he could have played in the Worlds if not for passport issues. Those things contribute to why other guys might get more hype - and deservingly so.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Can't expect casual fans or mainstream outlets to rave about a kid because he could have played in the Worlds if not for passport issues. Those things contribute to why other guys might get more hype - and deservingly so.

Clearly I didn't say that's why. I don't expect them to and I recognize that not everyone has the opportunity of time to watch UND which is specifically why I said he might after the WJC.

Reactions: majormajor

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
How many players in NHL history have multiple norris’?
Multiple norris nominations i can get on board with, but I doubt he wins multiple Norris’.
13 players have won multiple Norris’, another 12 have won 1. Guys with just 1 win include Pronger, Niedermayer, Doughty, Chara, Hedman, Rob Blake, Al MacInnis and Gio.

It’s extreme hard to win even 1 Norris. Lots of legit elite dmen like Shea Weber, Pietrangelo, Dan Boyle, Serge Savard, Gary Suter, Zubov, Konstantinov, etc. have never won one. Sanderson is a very good prospect, but his chances to win even 1 Norris are very low. To win multiple he’d have to become a roughly top 20 dman of all time.

Last edited:

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
I think Sanderson will be the best D from that draft. Ottawa lucky. Of course, as expected based on when he was drafted.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
13 players have won multiple Norris’, another 12 have won 1. Guys with just 1 win include Pronger, Niedermayer, Doughty, Chara, Hedman, Rob Blake, Al MacInnis and Gio.

It’s extreme hard to win even 1 Norris. Lots of legit elite dmen like Shea Weber, Pietrangelo, Dan Boyle, Serge Savard, Gary Suter, Zubov, Konstantinov, etc. have never won one. Sanderson is a very good prospect, but his chances to win even 1 Norris are very low. To win multiple he’d have to become a roughly top 20 dman of all time.

It can also depend a lot on your positional competition during key phases of your career.

I bring it up now and then, but there was a great thread where Flyers and Flames fans were arguing with extreme hostility as to whether Pitkanen or Phaneuf would end up with more Norris trophies by the end of their careers.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It can also depend a lot on your positional competition during key phases of your career.

I bring it up now and then, but there was a great thread where Flyers and Flames fans were arguing with extreme hostility as to whether Pitkanen or Phaneuf would end up with more Norris trophies by the end of their careers.
Lidstrom didn't win a Norris till he was 30 because guys like Bourque, Pronger, Leetch, and Chelios were in their primes, but once he got a taste he decided to Win all of them going forward. It's not that he wasn't a Norris caliber Dman till he turned 30, it's just as you put it, a matter of timing.

Reactions: Dionysus

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Comparing Sanderson with Guhle...

It's a big difference between both or they are pretty close to each other?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad