LD Gustav Forsling (2014, 126th, VAN; traded to CHI)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He's gonna make the Hawks and you won't find a happier guy than me

is there going to be a roster spot available for him? or will he beat someone out of a spot and force a trade?(honest question cause I am very intrigued by this situation)

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
is there going to be a roster spot available for him? or will he beat someone out of a spot and force a trade?(honest question cause I am very intrigued by this situation)
It looked like the Hawks were going to carry 7 D, but he's likely going to force them to keep 8. Keith, Seabrook, Hammer, and Campbell have the top 4 locked down, with Kempny, TVR, and Forsling likely rotating on the 3rd pair. Rozsival will likely get the odd game here or there. Depending on how Forsling plays, he could force a trade, but I'd imagine it would be later in the season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He has earned a roster spot with his performance in camp/preseason but the #'s work against him with regard to regular roster spot unless trade occurs and it would be waste to have kid as #7 thru year

Honestly it looked great at time but Kempny signing is now blocking Forsling. Kempny wasn't bad in camp/preseason but he was certainly not as impressive as Forsling

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Eh, the Hawks will probably just carry 8D, for the time being at least. If Forsling and Kempny both prove to be NHL talent, TVR becomes expendable, particularly since he'd be vulnerable to Vegas anyway.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
This is BS. The consensus was that it was a good trade for Vancouver.

I think the reviews were mixed, which typically means it's a bad trade. Generally people try their best to rationalize why something is good for their organization, when people are struggling to do that, it's a bad sign (see Granlund trade)

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
People forget that most Chicago fans didn't want to give up Clendening

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Maybe if this trade was just one that came out of nowhere, but it wasn't.

Vancouver had 3 of their top 4 D out with injuries when this trade occurred.

Bad Trade now YES, but at the time it was necessary as they had no one on their farm team

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Maybe if this trade was just one that came out of nowhere, but it wasn't.

But Vancouver had 3 of their top 4 D out with injuries when this trade occurred.

Bad Trade now YES, but at the time it was necessary as they had no one on their farm team

They had Sanguinetti, who is a much better skater than Clendening, and was one of the best defencemen in the AHL that season.

Either way, you shouldn't give up one of your top prospects for an injury fill in.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not to mention that Clendening was himself a struggling AHL defender at this point

So saying he was acquired to solve the roster NHL D problem of Nucks just further reflects poorly on management

Then of course the whole not realizing he was a terrible skater until actually seeing him thing. Didn't Benning have scouts? I mean it was no secret he couldn't skate

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Not to mention that Clendening was himself a struggling AHL defender at this point

So saying he was acquired to solve the roster NHL D problem of Nucks just further reflects poorly on management

Then of course the whole not realizing he was a terrible skater until actually seeing him thing. Didn't Benning have scouts? I mean it was no secret he couldn't skate

Bennings gonna Benning

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I think the reviews were mixed, which typically means it's a bad trade. Generally people try their best to rationalize why something is good for their organization, when people are struggling to do that, it's a bad sign (see Granlund trade)

Reviews were mixed all around, for both sides of it -- most said it made sense for both teams. The point is that it is BS that it was a trade everyone knew was bad for Vancouver at the time. I think the people who said it was horrible are the ones who say every trade is horrible for their team so that they can complain.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Apparently Clendening is pretty close to cracking the Rags for what it's worth

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not surprised, liked him at the WJC when I saw him live, good shot from the point. He's skilled and will be able to play that puck possession game for the Hawks.

A little surprised Pokka was cut.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Reviews were mixed all around, for both sides of it -- most said it made sense for both teams. The point is that it is BS that it was a trade everyone knew was bad for Vancouver at the time. I think the people who said it was horrible are the ones who say every trade is horrible for their team so that they can complain.

Pro scouts in Vancouver have gone to ground, and nobody is owning up to this trade...guess the buck ultimately stops with the GM....Hawks knew Clendening was a worthless asset, whom they'd have had to expose on the waiver wire....if teams had waited, they could have got him for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad