LD Gustav Forsling (2014, 126th, VAN; traded to CHI)

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
6'0, 182 | shoots left
Born: 1996-06-12, Linköping, SWE
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=86366

dsc_0590x.jpg

Led all d-men in points at 2014-15 WJC (3G + 5A = 8Pts in 7GP)

Last edited:

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Good powerplay work, that point shot gets through a lot too. Seems like a smart kid from that package.

How often does he mess up I guess I should ask.

Last edited:

Thegame

Jul 28, 2013
I don't see it that way at all. His offense is his shot on the PP, if he makes the NHL I think he's going to be more of a defensive player.

Lol... first time I've ever heard that. His defense is not very good and if he makes the NHL it will be because of his offense...

Even Swedish fans were saying how they were getting annoyed at his defensive play at the world jrs.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It was a minor leauge move for both sides. I never saw a NHl future in him, because he's not too big and not too fast, he's also not nasty enough. Probably a Career SELer. As a Nucks follower, never had hopes for him. Fans are more leaning towards Jake Hutton, 6'3 (offensive dman in college) Subban, and Patrick Mcnally as future dmans. sad list.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
It was a minor leauge move for both sides. I never saw a NHl future in him, because he's not too big and not too fast, he's also not nasty enough. Probably a Career SELer. As a Nucks follower, never had hopes for him. Fans are more leaning towards Jake Hutton, 6'3 (offensive dman in college) Subban, and Patrick Mcnally as future dmans. sad list.
Jake Hutton? Okay. Forsling was most certainly in the top end of the prospect D men the Canucks have.

There was a healthy contingent of Canuck fans who are/were excited about Forsling and his progress up to the trade. Prior to the draft, i thought he was one of the best swedish defenders available and he has proven that so far against higher rated and higher selected swedish defenders in the 2014 draft. He was their best defender at the U18s. Then in the SHL, he was heavily relied on in the top 4, seeing both PP+PK time. He more than handled his own. That's great progress for an 18 year old in the SHL and that had many Canuck fans excited even prior to the WJC, where he put up another good performance.

To the bolded: On the flip side, you could easily say the exact same phrase about Clendening. What a generic reason. There are many PMD who are not too big, often under-sized, and not terribly fast (skating is one of the easier flaws to correct over time) and a significant amount are not what many would consider nasty.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.

No. I'm sorry we're looking for Ben. Ben.

witdBkb.jpg

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Lol... first time I've ever heard that. His defense is not very good and if he makes the NHL it will be because of his offense...

Even Swedish fans were saying how they were getting annoyed at his defensive play at the world jrs.

As a Swedish fan I would say I was annoyed by the defensive play of all defensemen. It seemed more like a team problem. Forsling has never been an offensive D, nothing really stands out about his game except for his shot but he doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses either.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
His offensive game have improved a lot.

Yea I saw the tweet from Cory Pronman a week ago that he's playing in the top 4 and putting up great offense. This will go down as one of Benning's worst moves (there are so many so that's saying a lot:cry:). Canucks Pro scouting is absolutely atrocious

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Ugh, still annoyed that the Canucks gave him away for what turned out to be nothing. One of Benning's more under the radar idiotic moves.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Great move trading a 4th rounder that blossomed after being drafted for a depth D that didn't last a year.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Seems to be off to great start with 1 goal + 4 assists in 6 games. Only a pt away from equaling his pt total from last season

Hopefully he continues to develop and eventually gets look from Hawks

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Great move trading a 4th rounder that blossomed after being drafted for a depth D that didn't last a year.

He was a 5th rounder to start

& Vancouver had to make the trade because they had 3 recalled D-men at the time because of injuries which meant no one in the farm system to play for the AHL team with all the recalls

:shakehead:shakehead

Nov 1, 2011

& Vancouver had to make the trade because they had 3 recalled D-men at the time because of injuries which meant no one in the farm system to play for the AHL team with all the recalls

Still, they traded for a guy who couldn't play at the NHL level...made no sense at all.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

lol. it doesn't matter that he was a 5th rounder

it's like calling Sprong a 2nd and trading him for Vey

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I know this thread is been gone for a while but figured I'd bump it. Forsling is looking like a real nice find. He was 18 years old playing top 4 in the SHL, not only that but playing really well. One of the top U-20 D in all of europe this year IMO. Playing great defense and has an elite PP shot.

http://shl.se/roster/LHC/5277

you can check some of his highlights here.

excellent breakout pass that leads to an assist.

Don't want to over-hype, but definitely a nice pick up.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know this thread is been gone for a while but figured I'd bump it. Forsling is looking like a real nice find. He was 18 years old playing top 4 in the SHL, not only that but playing really well. One of the top U-20 D in all of europe this year IMO. Playing great defense and has an elite PP shot.

Nylander and him connected quite a bit on the PP for Sweden at the World Jrs.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Not really overhyping, kid has the potential to be a top 4 defenseman IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad