LD Gustav Forsling (2014, 126th, VAN; traded to CHI)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
So is he a krug/vatanen type? Or is he more of a Hampus Lindholm type?.. haven't seen him play but by reading articles and comments, he seems like an extremely good prospect

Quick, nimble, and incredibly intelligent.

He can think and process the game at very high speeds.

Excellent shot, and can walk the line with the best of them.

He's a kid that tries to mimic Lidstrom, lots of smart little plays.

Smart area passes.

Not an elite athlete physically but he's definitely a PMD.

Think a smaller bodied and one gear off of Brian Cambell with Rafalski like smarts. Very crafty.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Watched him a couple of games and think he still needs more speed to play up to potential, not that his skating is bad, but that extra speed is going to help him play that smart positional game and avoid some defensive battles entirely. Otherwise looks smart, steady and you can see his shot is going to be a weapon for the Hawks.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He has been absolutely rock solid

His few mistakes he has generally cleaned up himself with strong recoveries

A lot of poise for such a young kid in his own end and with puck. Wish he would shoot more/be a bit more aggressive with puck but I understand why he is playing so conservative a style a he breaks into NHL

Played 4th most minutes last night among Hawk defenders (Behind Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson)

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
At this point, are there chances he stays with the hawks for good, or will he head back to the SHL if he only plays 9 games? (which would be, I believe, the only other option for him)

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
At this point, are there chances he stays with the hawks for good, or will he head back to the SHL if he only plays 9 games? (which would be, I believe, the only other option for him)

I doubt he goes now considering he hasn't looked out of place at all playing a conservative game. It's his composure and i.q that's made him a regular today.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
He's so good at anticipating plays all over the ice - and just wait until he gets accustomed to the NHL powerplays... He has an exceptional ability to find open lanes to rip that big slap shot through.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So its interesting to see hes playing conservative and still impressing. I think once he gets comfortable enough to do some more dynamic play this could be a very very special dman for this league. Im super jelly that Benning just handed him to Chicago too esp considering all Canucks fans knew there was something special with Forsling :(

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

The Hawks appear to intend to play him in the NHL all year. They're healthy-scratching Rozsival, Campbell, and van Riemsdyk before him.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I watched him play last game VS the Habs and I was extremely impressed. He was paired up with Hjalmarsson and I thought they were fantastic together. I assumed they had been D partners all year but apparently it was their first game together.

I see that he has played pretty decent mins from the get go this season(averaging over 16 mins per game) with also some PP time (averaging 1:48 on the PP)

His first 11 games he only put up...

11gp. 0 goals. 1 assist. +1. 13 SOG

His last 3 games he has put up...

3gp. 1 goal. 2 assists. +2. 6 SOG

ill be curious if he can start consistently put up points like he has the past few games

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He is starting to take a more active role in offensive end and looking more comfortable with puck

what are hawks fans expecting/hoping for him for the future?

A solid top 4 Hjalmarsson type guy that plays an all around good game with 20ish points per season?

Or a more of a point producing type dman that can put up 40+ points per season?

Or something else?

I ask cause I have very limited viewings of him, but as I said before I was extremely impressed with him last game he played.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
what are hawks fans expecting/hoping for him for the future?

A solid top 4 Hjalmarsson type guy that plays an all around good game with 20ish points per season?

Or a more of a point producing type dman that can put up 40+ points per season?

Or something else?

I ask cause I have very limited viewings of him, but as I said before I was extremely impressed with him last game he played.

Hes top pairing one day and canucks fans knew this before Benning traded him for Clendening :cry:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
His ceiling contains 40-45 points in my opinion. I don't know if he'll ever be a top pair minute muncher but he's only twenty and I'm extremely high on him. He certainly is the only player with the possibility and ceiling to be the heir to Keith.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
His ceiling contains 40-45 points in my opinion. I don't know if he'll ever be a top pair minute muncher but he's only twenty and I'm extremely high on him. He certainly is the only player with the possibility and ceiling to be the heir to Keith.

I think in simple terms he's a smart all-round player with a hard and accurate shot. He'll never be a true offensive defenseman or dynamic skater, he's not going to handle the puck a whole lot, but that doesn't mean he can't play on your PP and put up 40 points a few times under the right cirucumstances. You can't underestimate the importance of a great point shot on the PP, 'cause either he can score with it or you have to cover him way up top and other players get a lot more time and space to play with.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Id say he'll be a very solid number 3. A guy who is a weapon on the top PP (his shot), plays a solid two-way game at even strength, and gives you 19+mins a game. I see the potential for Gustav to have prime Erhoff type seasons. However I expect a longer prime, as he's developing much faster. He'll have a run of seasons with ~15G, and ~40pts imo. It's a real shame Benning gave him up for nothing, but enjoy Chicago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad