LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL) Part 2

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I can tell you that no one in Colorado is concerned with Bryan’s play this year. He looks the same as last year, but was tasked with developing his defensive game more if he wants to make the NHL next year, and by all accounts that’s what he’s done this year in the WHL.

Also, he wasn’t drafted as an OFD, so his offensive numbers aren’t the end all, be all for him. He’s expected to become a good TWD who can chip in 40-50 points and provide shutdown defense for ~25 mins per night in his prime. That’s what the Avs need more than a purely offensive guy: a defensive guy with some offense. We already have an offensive guy with some defense in Makar. The two can balance each other out.

Jesus expected to become a 40-50 point defenceman who shuts down the other team?

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
His offensive game isn't

Jesus expected to become a 40-50 point defenceman who shuts down the other team?
Sorry, his offensive game isn't what?

As for your second point, I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 50 points once or twice in his career. That's on the higher side of things, though. I would expect him to hover around 40 points and provide good defensive play for a lot of minutes every game, a la Ryan Suter.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Sorry, his offensive game isn't what?

As for your second point, I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 50 points once or twice in his career. That's on the higher side of things, though. I would expect him to hover around 40 points and provide good defensive play for a lot of minutes every game, a la Ryan Suter.

He's a shutdown defensive guy with some offense, but that some offense is borderline star offensive production?

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
He's a shutdown defensive guy with some offense, but that some offense is borderline star offensive production?
You're reading too much into the numbers I suggested and not enough into the type of game he's expected to play. First and foremost, he will likely be tasked with shutting down other teams. Any offense he provides past 20 or so points will be a bonus in that role, and I personally think he can get to 50 points once or twice in his career. I assume he will hover around 40 points. There's a difference.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
That's just what he's expected to be lol

Imagine the upside he has if that's his conservative projection lol
Anyone who projects dmen to win Norris(es) aren't paying attention to probable outcomes. Generational ones like Hedman and Dahlin are obvious exceptions

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Anyone who projects dmen to win Norris(es) aren't paying attention to probable outcomes. Generational ones like Hedman and Dahlin are obvious exceptions
Dude, when did I ever say I expect Byram to win a Norris? This conversation has taken a weird turn because people are now assuming I said something I never said. I think if anyone on the Avs has a chance at a Norris in the future, it will be Makar, not Byram. Byram won't have the same offensive output as Makar, which will matter to the voters.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I went to a game couple weeks ago in Victoria, they were playing the royals and the giants won big, Byram was pretty much invisible, he did not commit any glaring errors, he was ...decent. One of my goals was to see what he's up to, but I had to look for 44 all game long, for someone that I was really high on last season, and picked in the top four, I have to say I came away disappointed.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
40-50 point shutdown dman is Seth Jones
Okay. Let me fix the points range, then. I expect him to be around 35-40 points, with an outside shot at 50 points every few years. I don't see why we're focusing on this over the rest of what I said or the discussion of Byram developing as a player.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He was ranked #6 on the big lists heading into the season last year and #6 on Bob’s Midseason ranking. So if you want to argue his offensive explosion pushed him too high then it bought him all of 2 positions and there isn’t anyone I’d prefer to have instead at this point. I’ve analyzed the production last year, it wasn’t cleaning up on the pp or a ton of secondary assists, he was shooting only 13%, 6 goals were in OT. It’s not like that ability vanished or was a mirage.

If Byram replaces EJ that’s all he needs to be to the Avs. With Girard and Makar he doesn’t need to carry the defense or win Norris trophies but he can play a ton of minutes and compliment them well. You can’t draft that every day nor can the Avs develop that. I think he’ll be more than that because folks will have given up on the offense and don’t realize what an intelligent player he is but that’s ok.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Regardless of team situation, that big of a statistical regression for a 4th overall pick is concerning. Twenty fewer goals seems ridiculous to think about for a guy who is now a year older.

Thats not saying hes still not a great prospect but I thought the points would start to come at some point. For a 4th overall pick who in a clear class of his own for dmen on draft day, your team situation shouldnt impact your points this much. Points wise he wouldnt even be having a good offensive season if it was still his draft year

Last season, 2.88 shots per game, 13.5 shooting percentage.

This season, 2.51 shots per game, 3.6 shooting percentage.

The average of those two extremes is probably more reflective of his goal-scoring ability.

A similar situation would be Morgan Rielly. He's not the 20g/70p guy he was last season, but more so the 5-10g,/50p guy he's been on either side of that season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
40-50 point shutdown dman is Seth Jones

And where was Seth Jones drafted?

The kid has ridiculous upside, that's why he was drafted 4th overall. If teams didn't think he had elite #1D upside he wouldn't have been picked in the Top 5. He's been compared to the likes of Doughty and Suter quite a bit before and after his draft as well. Both of which are guys that were undisputed #1D in there primes.

That said, personally I dont think he ends up as good of a player as what Seth Jones Drew Doughty are. I think he ends up more of a ~35-40 point all situations guy who can eat up 23-25 minutes a night for you.

His offensive numbers will never be super high because the Avs have Makar and its pretty clear already that he's a special, special player. He'll be the one getting the Top PP time and without those minutes Byram will likely never be elite in the offensive production department.

Fortunately for the Avs we really dont need him to be. If he can be a Steady Two-Way guy alongside Makar on the Top pairing for the next decade the Avs should be absolutely thrilled with the result of that pick. They dont need him to be a high end #1 guy. Makar is basically already that guy for us.

Reactions: Dominance

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I hope people here aren't stat watching when determining projections for Byram. He's got great offensive talent and he's a marvelous skater and defender. The Giants suck wind this year and their offense does not have a star WHL scorer on it, or anyone who scores for that matter and it's clear when you watch them.

Alex Pietrangelo's OHL numbers weren't mind blowing and look at what he is now. Byram I think has similar career numbers to him and defensive impact too, although to a slightly lesser degree. Obviously development is a long road.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I hope people here aren't stat watching when determining projections for Byram. He's got great offensive talent and he's a marvelous skater and defender. The Giants suck wind this year and their offense does not have a star WHL scorer on it, or anyone who scores for that matter and it's clear when you watch them.

Alex Pietrangelo's OHL numbers weren't mind blowing and look at what he is now. Byram I think has similar career numbers to him and defensive impact too, although to a slightly lesser degree. Obviously development is a long road.

Pietrangelo was almost ppg in every year of the 4 years he spent in the ohl. Including 52 points in 59 games as 16/17 year old

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Pietrangelo was almost ppg in every year of the 4 years he spent in the ohl. Including 52 points in 59 games as 16/17 year old

Yes, and Byram had 71 points in 67 games last year. He didn't regress. The team doesn't score points and he's not gonna carry them offensively.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I can tell you that no one in Colorado is concerned with Bryan’s play this year. He looks the same as last year, but was tasked with developing his defensive game more if he wants to make the NHL next year, and by all accounts that’s what he’s done this year in the WHL.

Also, he wasn’t drafted as an OFD, so his offensive numbers aren’t the end all, be all for him. He’s expected to become a good TWD who can chip in 40-50 points and provide shutdown defense for ~25 mins per night in his prime. That’s what the Avs need more than a purely offensive guy: a defensive guy with some offense. We already have an offensive guy with some defense in Makar. The two can balance each other out.
That's one thing I've noticed; a lot of people here label Byram as an offensive d-man, or a player they expect a lot of offence from. I liken him to a McDonagh type. He'll put up points, but that's not his main purpose. He generates points through smart, savvy plays, not his raw talent. Ideally a TWD who's good for 40-50 points and a great all around game.

Reactions: Pip

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

The Pietrangelo and Seth Jones comps don't make sense to me. Those players are 6'4 RHD's with plus mobility, smarts, and stellar 2-way play. The only prospects that comes to mind of that archetype of player are Dobson and Seider.

Reilly has been the comp that I have seen most and I could see a Suter if Byram develops his defensive game.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
That's one thing I've noticed; a lot of people here label Byram as an offensive d-man, or a player they expect a lot of offence from. I liken him to a McDonagh type. He'll put up points, but that's not his main purpose. He generates points through smart, savvy plays, not his raw talent. Ideally a TWD who's good for 40-50 points and a great all around game.
Yup, that's pretty much what I visualize Byram becoming, as well. People say the points he put up last year elevated his draft stock; I think it also skewed people on what his game is as a whole. He's not just a points machine - he makes smart decisions all over the ice that helps his team, and sometimes that leads to him getting points. McDonagh is a good comparable, I think.

Reactions: CanadianSharks

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yup, that's pretty much what I visualize Byram becoming, as well. People say the points he put up last year elevated his draft stock; I think it also skewed people on what his game is as a whole. He's not just a points machine - he makes smart decisions all over the ice that helps his team, and sometimes that leads to him getting points. McDonagh is a good comparable, I think.
Those types of players tend to age well, which is probably another reason why he was drafted high. They last long, and tend to improve or remain steady even later in their careers.

Reactions: DallasGaume

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Those types of players tend to age well, which is probably another reason why he was drafted high. They last long, and tend to improve or remain steady even later in their careers.
If Byram turns out anything like McDonagh or Suter, I’ll be super pumped as an Avs fan. Him, Makar, Girard, and (hopefully) Timmins will be the best defensive corps the Avs have seen since their Cup win 20 years ago.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He's been playing great since being back from the wjcs and finally showed on the scoresheet with a 3 point night. He moves the puck so effortlessly and his best play he didn't even get a point on. Jumped up on the Sourdif goal to create odd man rush and had a easy back door tap in but Sourdif shot when he saw Garand cheating pass. Byram and Zary had good battles all night and was funny when Byram cross checked Zary into his giants teammate which the ref called a interference penalty on Zary for.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He has a #1D ceiling no doubt. Whether he gets there or not we have no idea but could you imagine if he actually does cement himself as a top 20ish NHL defenseman on a back end that already has Makar and Girard lol?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad