LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL) Part 2

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Byram is a full year younger than every other defenseman on Canada's roster (Drysdale being the exception). Byram is playing on the power play and penalty kill and was bumped up to the top pairing by their third real game.

Obviously we'd like to see him get on the score sheet a bit as the tournament goes on, but I think people are overreacting on him because he's not the second coming of Cale Makar out there. Really curious to see how the rest of his tournament goes and if Canada will keep giving him ice time or if they go back to their 19 year olds.

Byram's ice time throughout three games

Game 1 - 14:52
Game 2 - 19:08
Game 3 - 20:54

He has still only been on the ice for one of Canada's 11 goals surrendered in three games. His ice time skyrocketed in the third period of the Russian game after Smith, JBD, McIsaac, and Bahl struggled in the first couple of periods (really the first two games). Since his ice time went up in that period, Canada has surrendered one goal against in the last four periods of play.

Reactions: Ararana

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He has still only been on the ice for one of Canada's 11 goals surrendered in three games. His ice time skyrocketed in the third period of the Russian game after Smith, JBD, McIsaac, and Bahl struggled in the first couple of periods (really the first two games). Since his ice time went up in that period, Canada has surrendered one goal against in the last four periods of play.

You really need to stop using this argument though. It's a terrible one.

He was just as bad as the other Canada Dmen against the Russians and easily could have been on the ice for 2-3 goals against.

Focus on his actual play on the ice, not some random statistic that's essentially the same as +/-

Reactions: Leon Draisaitl

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ehh....he's been ok. Hasn't stuck out as bad, or good. He has done a few nice things, but not enough to get anyone excited.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
You really need to stop using this argument though. It's a terrible one.

He was just as bad as the other Canada Dmen against the Russians and easily could have been on the ice for 2-3 goals against.

Focus on his actual play on the ice, not some random statistic that's essentially the same as +/-

Why is it a terrible stat when some of the other defenseman have 6-7 times as many goals against while they are on the ice? When the disparity is that great, does it make sense to completely discount it? Is it simply a statistical anomaly and a mere coincidence?

I do not find that to be a particularly persuasive viewpoint in all honesty. It seems at that point you are cherry-picking in order to discount stats that do not fit a particular narrative.

How about Tourigny's comments about him and Canada's coaching staff bumping his time in the third period of the game against Russia and against Germany? I am guessing that it must be another anomaly?

Last edited:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He looked bad all tournament and even worse in the Gold Medal game. Hype on him definitely takes a hit

He looked fine. Got a lot of ice time. Moved up from third pairing to first pairing and saw an increase in role almost game by game. Clearly played with and through being sick and was on the ice for probably the least amount of goals of all Ds that played heavier minutes. So clearly the coaches opinion and overall eye test is refuting your rather biased observations.

Could he have been better? Sure. He wasn't amazing but given the circumstances (being sick and over a year younger than most of the other guys seeing big minutes) he did fine.
Did he look nearly as bad as you tried to convince everyone all the time? No. He really did not.

That trade is now over 2 years in the past. The Sens will probably even be on the other end this time around with the Sharks pick.
Maybe its time to let it go? Sens have a bright future ahead of them even without the #4 pick they have traded. Even if Bo turns into a great player, people will forget about it unless certain fans that can't let it go bring it up. Its not Byrams fault that he got traded to the Avs as part of the Duchene deal. So maybe stop hating and focussing so much on the kid and move on.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He looked bad all tournament and even worse in the Gold Medal game. Hype on him definitely takes a hit
Is that why he got the most ice time among defensemen on team Canada and was only on the ice for 2 goals against during the whole tournament? Such a ridiculous take.

He looked better than most, if not all, other dmen on the team.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I'd agree that he was just "meh." Didn't stand out offensively, or defensively, was just kind of there. With that being said, he was among the leaders in ice time for Canada during the last few games, so it's obvious that the coaches liked what he offered.

I'm not at all worried about him long term. His confidence definitely took a hit after being cut in Colorado, but he'll be fine.

Reactions: thethinglonger

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Not sure what to say of this. Not sure if his nervousness got the best of him. When he’s with the giants, he’s literally a beast.

Reactions: Dominance

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I'd agree that he was just "meh." Didn't stand out offensively, or defensively, was just kind of there. With that being said, he was among the leaders in ice time for Canada during the last few games, so it's obvious that the coaches liked what he offered.
should
I'm not at all worried about him long term. His confidence definitely took a hit after being cut in Colorado, but he'll be fine.

Echoing this. He was fine...not great, not bad. You could clearly see the skill level there but it just didn't really culminate in anything. He's still an elite prospect and has a bright NHL future ahead of him. This is why you shouldn't make full player assessments based off of ~7 game tournaments

Reactions: 57special

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Not sure what to say of this. Not sure if his nervousness got the best of him. When he’s with the giants, he’s literally a beast.

Ignore the troll is what you do with it.

He struggled the first couple games, just like the entire Canadian Defense. But he got better and better as the tournament went on and his best game came against the Russians for the Gold medal.

22+ minutes played in all situations, most ice time of anybody on the team including 10 minutes of the third period when they needed 2 goals to tie it up and he played the final 3:30 with the 1 goal lead.

He was Canadas best and most relied upon Dman when push came to shove. Which as an 18 year old on a Defense filled with 19 year olds was pretty remarkable.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
You're hilarious.

I dont think I've seen a person hold more of a grudge because of a hockey trade ever before.

Yeah this guy is embarrassing, which is a shame because his user name is on point. Really don't understand after all this time why he still feels the need to go out of his way to bash the Avs. Be mad at your own GM, Sakic didn't force him at gunpoint.

I thought Byram had a solid WJCs, probably not as flashy as we all wanted. Reminds me a lot of Timmins' WJC a few years ago. He was no Makar out there for sure, but Makar is a special kind of freak. But if he's back next year, which I seriously doubt, I wouldn't be surprised if he's much much better.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Fans that only pay attention to stuff on the surface like stats miss all the good stuff. Byram was clearly told not to play offensive. When Canada was down 3-2 in the final we saw him change his game completely and was attempting to jump in on the rush and was open for scoring chances alot, all while defending the house. He played 10 minutes in the third and showed massive composure for a first timer at the tournament. The fact he ate huge minutes, defended well and had complete composure is huge. He showed he's coachable and can play either role when it's needed wether it's jumping into the offense or playing responsible defense. We have Cale makar we don't need Byram to be pure offense, the hype has grown from me this year seeing him work on his defense the way he has

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
He had a so and so tournament.

I honestly think he is injured or battling something because Ive seen him live plenty of times here in Vancouver with the Giants and he looks nothing like how he was last year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Thought he had a great world juniors. 18 year old defenseman are never the back bone of Canada’s defense. I would say the last standout 18 year old Canadian defenseman was Dougie Hamilton almost a decade ago.

Never expected him to work his way into being Canada’s #1D but that’s exactly what he did. Canada’s leader in TOI per game including playing the entire final four minutes of the gold medal game.

Would love to see him show some more offense next season a full year older in a top PP role but he’ll almost certainly be in the NHL.

AttilaTheFun

Nov 18, 2018
Thought he had a great world juniors. 18 year old defenseman are never the back bone of Canada’s defense. I would say the last standout 18 year old Canadian defenseman was Dougie Hamilton almost a decade ago.

Never expected him to work his way into being Canada’s #1D but that’s exactly what he did. Canada’s leader in TOI per game including playing the entire final four minutes of the gold medal game.

Would love to see him show some more offense next season a full year older in a top PP role but he’ll almost certainly be in the NHL.

Can you share where you found TOI stats? All I've found is this document.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Can you share where you found TOI stats? All I've found is this document.

They are probably just tabulating the per game totals.

Byram's TOI per game -

Game 1 - 14:52
Game 2 - 19:08 (led all defensemen)
Game 3 - 20:54 (led all defensemen)
Game 4 - 21:54 (led all defensemen)
Game 5 - 18:43
Game 6 - Missed due to illness
Game 7 - 22:12 (led all defensemen)

His TOI per game average was 19:37 for the six games that he played in, which is higher than any other of Canada's defensemen. I am not sure why he does not appear on the list that you attached, unless they credited him with a zero TOI for the missed Finland game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad