LD Anton Silayev - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2024 draft)

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
The kid isnt even done growing yet. Id give it quite some time before we see his true man strength. He will be one of the biggest boom or bust draft projects in recent memory.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
What makes him risky as a prospect?
I only know what I've read here and in a few deep dives on him, but it's a bit of "exciting" unpredictable play, his initial offensive boom has cooled and it was probably above expected performance anyway, can he process the game at NHL level... A lot of typical defenseman questions, but he has tools and size for huge upside, thus the risk of outcomes.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
From Macklin Celebrini the unanimous No. 1 prospect in Bob McKenzie's mid-season draft ranking | TSN:

It’s one thing to note Silayev’s physical stature, outstanding mobility, ability to impact the game at both ends of the ice and sky-high potential. But as one scout duly noted: “I’d be hard pressed to find an NHL GM who would ever take a Russian defenceman who [the GM] has only ever seen on video over a Canadian kid who most everyone believes is the top guy and who’s going to be a No. 1 NHL centre.”​
Putting aside the Russian factor and how soon or far of he is to being available for NHL teams— he’s a striking package of size, strength, mobility, offence and defence.​
“He’s not as offensively gifted as, say, Chris Pronger at the same age and he’s not as physically intimidating and punishing as, say, Zdeno Chara was in his draft year [1996],” one scout said. “But he has shown that he combines elements of both of those guys.”​
Another scout said: “If he’s as good as we think he is — geez, I really wish we could be there in the rink to see him live instead of just on video or getting reports from our Russian scouts — he’s going to be a No. 1 defenceman, maybe in the same sort of universe as a Victor Hedman. If he’s not quite what we think he is, with that size and mobility, I still think he’ll be really good top-pairing guy or outstanding 2-3.”​
Silayev’s production in the KHL this season has tailed off after he scored one goal and six points in his first six games. He has scored another two goals and five points in his past 45 games. But he’s still playing significant minutes against older KHL competition and continues to demonstrate great mobility and solid puck skills for such a big man.​
Five of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN listed Silayev at No. 2 and the lowest ranking he received was a No. 6.​

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
LePremature, methinks.

The draft is June 28th.
Not at all premature. When I said that not one person thought he’d be ranked that highly at any point. I was the first to say it, i Gotta pat myself on the back. I am such a good talent evaluator.

• Haha
Reactions: Blueston

MikeyS

Aug 28, 2023
Not at all premature. When I said that not one person thought he’d be ranked that highly at any point. I was the first to say it, i Gotta pat myself on the back. I am such a good talent evaluator.
Oh, did the Guinness World Records run out of space for your achievements, or are you just saving some for the rest of us?

• Haha
Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
From Macklin Celebrini the unanimous No. 1 prospect in Bob McKenzie's mid-season draft ranking | TSN:

..“He’s not as offensively gifted as, say, Chris Pronger at the same age and he’s not as physically intimidating and punishing as, say, Zdeno Chara was in his draft year [1996],” one scout said. “But he has shown that he combines elements of both of those guys.”​
Another scout said: “If he’s as good as we think he is — geez, I really wish we could be there in the rink to see him live instead of just on video or getting reports from our Russian scouts — he’s going to be a No. 1 defenceman, maybe in the same sort of universe as a Victor Hedman. If he’s not quite what we think he is, with that size and mobility, I still think he’ll be really good top-pairing guy or outstanding 2-3.”​
dang, those are heady comparables. and from nhl scouts, not just folks on here. unless something changes significantly, hard to see him falling out of top few picks.

Random Guy

Him.
Jan 27, 2024
California
Watching a game of his right now. This was the second half of his shift. It's really a nothing clip but shows his skating/fluidity plus reach at his size. I think he's perfect fit for the Ducks, from all the games I've seen he plays both right and left side. Anyone can verify this?

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Watching a game of his right now. This was the second half of his shift. It's really a nothing clip but shows his skating/fluidity plus reach at his size. I think he's perfect fit for the Ducks, from all the games I've seen he plays both right and left side. Anyone can verify this?

View attachment 811738
I know in the MHL playoffs he played the right side the whole time.

Reactions: Random Guy

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
A lefty playing the right side is downright detrimental to his team.

Playing a left-handed defenseman on the right side in hockey can disrupt the team's dynamics. It hampers shooting accuracy and power due to the restricted shooting angle, making it challenging to capitalize on scoring opportunities. Defensive coverage suffers, as the player may find it awkward to defend against opponents skating down their side. This misalignment disrupts the team's rhythm and cohesion, potentially leading to defensive lapses and missed offensive chances. Overall, it undermines the team's strategic balance and diminishes their competitive edge

It’s best for whoever drafts him to leave him on the left side.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

Playing a left-handed defenseman on the right side in hockey can disrupt the team's dynamics. It hampers shooting accuracy and power due to the restricted shooting angle, making it challenging to capitalize on scoring opportunities. Defensive coverage suffers, as the player may find it awkward to defend against opponents skating down their side. This misalignment disrupts the team's rhythm and cohesion, potentially leading to defensive lapses and missed offensive chances. Overall, it undermines the team's strategic balance and diminishes their competitive edge

This is just untrue. There’s things that are easier to do on your offside compared to strong side and vice versa. Appreciate the in-depth post but it just omits so much. It’s personal preference, but to say it so absolutely is incorrect

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Oh no. Better not tell Ed Jovanovski.

• Haha
Reactions: slumpy43

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
This is just untrue. There’s things that are easier to do on your offside compared to strong side and vice versa. Appreciate the in-depth post but it just omits so much. It’s personal preference, but to say it so absolutely is incorrect
Not at all. There are situations where it is beneficial for a a Defender to play their off hand but that’s really only on the PP, and when you get sustained zone time and are running plays in my opinion.

There’s a reason why a lot of coaches hate their guys playing the off side. Puck pickups at the point are awkward and there are more offensive zone turnovers as a result, puck retreivals in the defensive end have the same problem. a asas well as what I stated above. It’s not that players can’t do it, it’s more it reduces errors that wouldn’t happen otherwise if a defender is kept on their correct sid. in myopionion the value of being a right shot defender, is having that right shot because having a good one can be more difficult to find than a #1C.

Reactions: BillDineen

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Not at all. There are situations where it is beneficial for a a Defender to play their off hand but that’s really only on the PP, and when you get sustained zone time and are running plays in my opinion.

There’s a reason why a lot of coaches hate their guys playing the off side. Puck pickups at the point are awkward and there are more offensive zone turnovers as a result, puck retreivals in the defensive end have the same problem. a asas well as what I stated above. It’s not that players can’t do it, it’s more it reduces errors that wouldn’t happen otherwise if a defender is kept on their correct sid. in myopionion the value of being a right shot defender, is having that right shot because having a good one can be more difficult to find than a #1C.
Again, this is either ignoring the benefits, or straight up untrue in some cases.

Although it’s not impactful enough to make a difference, playing an oncoming puck carrier would be less awkward on an off side. To extend and play stick on puck in tight you have to reach across your body on your correct side.

As a defenceman, the most valuable tool while retrieving and breaking the puck out is the net and using it to escape pressure. Retrieving pucks on your off side allows you to pick up pucks on your forehand and “get the net” much easier.

Playing the off side in the offensive zone allows a player to walk the line much quicker than the correct side, without turning their back to the middle of the ice, and retaining a quick shot as an option the whole time.

For certain types of defenceman, I’d say it’s even beneficial for them to play their off side. None of these benefits apply to the “off the glass and out” player, but it’s a decent option for smooth, evasive, and skilled players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad