LD Anton Silayev - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2024 draft)

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
McKenzie surveys 10 scouts and half of them have him at #2 and rest have him no lower than #6.

Seems like a lot of HFBoards lists have him between 10&15. I doubt he makes it out of the Top 5, even as a Russian defender who most haven’t seen live

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
McKenzie surveys 10 scouts and half of them have him at #2 and rest have him no lower than #6.

Seems like a lot of HFBoards lists have him between 10&15. I doubt he makes it out of the Top 5, even as a Russian defender who most haven’t seen live
What's his contractual status post draft?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Yeah, but this draft has a lot of Dmen that i could see pushing him down in the draft if there are any doubts at all, or if he signs a long term contract(3+ years) with a KHL team. A two year contract shouldn't be a problem.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Expires April 30, 2026. So could do two more seasons in Russia and jump to NHL/AHL at age 20. Could also re-up for a couple more seasons after that and he'd come at age 22. Probably not ideal for him to extend beyond that for an NHL team.
Here it might be important that he plays for Torpedo and they got good relationships with NHL teams in terms of loans in case if he signs his ELC in 2026 yet if he is not ready yet by then (and it isn't that unlikely, as big guys usually need more time to develop).

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Makes sense the scouts love him. He's big, and even if he doesn't hit his offensive upside he can be used as a huge shutdown guy with that reach and added muscle over time.

Reactions: Blueston

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Again, this is either ignoring the benefits, or straight up untrue in some cases.

Although it’s not impactful enough to make a difference, playing an oncoming puck carrier would be less awkward on an off side. To extend and play stick on puck in tight you have to reach across your body on your correct side.

As a defenceman, the most valuable tool while retrieving and breaking the puck out is the net and using it to escape pressure. Retrieving pucks on your off side allows you to pick up pucks on your forehand and “get the net” much easier.

Playing the off side in the offensive zone allows a player to walk the line much quicker than the correct side, without turning their back to the middle of the ice, and retaining a quick shot as an option the whole time.

For certain types of defenceman, I’d say it’s even beneficial for them to play their off side. None of these benefits apply to the “off the glass and out” player, but it’s a decent option for smooth, evasive, and skilled players.
There's benefits and some players are the exception, but 9/10 defensemen are going to be worse on their off-hand. They can play that position, but it's certainly not ideal and why so many teams covet top 4 RHD.

Also, I think it's telling when the best 'smooth, evasive, skilled players' still play on their dominant hand. Makar, Hughes, Fox, Dahlin, Josi, Rielly, etc.

Reactions: wetcoast

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
A lefty playing the right side is downright detrimental to his team.

Playing a left-handed defenseman on the right side in hockey can disrupt the team's dynamics. It hampers shooting accuracy and power due to the restricted shooting angle, making it challenging to capitalize on scoring opportunities. Defensive coverage suffers, as the player may find it awkward to defend against opponents skating down their side. This misalignment disrupts the team's rhythm and cohesion, potentially leading to defensive lapses and missed offensive chances. Overall, it undermines the team's strategic balance and diminishes their competitive edge

It’s best for whoever drafts him to leave him on the left side.
Didn't stop the 2007 ducks defense.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It used to be that many LHD could play RD fairly well, but that RHS couldn't play LD well, as they were never asked to at lower levels of hockey. With the advent of US born Dmen, which tend to be RH, that has changed a bit.

Playing on the offside has it's advantages, and disadvantages. It's great for shooting, good for open ice passing. I also liked defending line rushes on the offside, but that was because my weakness was defending speed to the outside.

Keeping pucks in at the blue line, retrieving pucks in the d zone, clearing pucks off the boards, making D to D passes are all tougher when playing on the offside.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
From the KHL website, looks like he clocked 6th D minutes (11min). Does anyone who has been watching games know whether he's been getting more minutes typically, or is he typically in the bottom pairing? It's great that he's playing regularly and all, but bottom pairing minutes is a lot less exciting.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
From the KHL website, looks like he clocked 6th D minutes (11min). Does anyone who has been watching games know whether he's been getting more minutes typically, or is he typically in the bottom pairing? It's great that he's playing regularly and all, but bottom pairing minutes is a lot less exciting.
He was getting mostly the second pairing role in the first half of the season, but recently it started to sound like Larionov thinks it is a bit too much for him for now and his role was limited a bit, so now he mostly plays on the 3rd pairing.

Reactions: coooldude

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Since the start of 2024 it seems he's been sticked to the 3rd line or 7th D. Has gotten a few games over 15 minutes but he's been struggling a bit offensively and still has turnovers issues so I get why he was dropped but he's still dependable when he's on.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
His backwards skating is not that great
Regardless of any weaknesses it looks like a weaker draft class, in large part due to how bad this year’s Swedish crop of prospects is.

Will a single Swede go in the first round?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Regardless of any weaknesses it looks like a weaker draft class, in large part due to how bad this year’s Swedish crop of prospects is.

I expect LSW will, but he may be the only one. Feels like huge drop-off from last couple classes.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

After U18 if 07 guys would not completely steal the spotlight, maybe somebody will jump into the first. Defensemen have a better chance(Freij and LSW). It happened before, Backlund and EK for example.

It is a relatively weak class on top, however, I think it is not so bad overall, 03 or even 01 were worse overall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad