LD Anton Silayev - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2024 draft)

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Does a player's improvement stop when a he turns 18?
No. But while Silayev is a good skater, he is not as good as Tyler Myers or Nikita Zadorov were.

His backwards skating is outstanding once he gets going.

Like all super tall and gangly 18 year olds, his (backwards) acceleration needs a little work... but that generally comes when players fill out and gain more leg strength/coordination.
Maybe, but Simashev skates better for example. Or Edvinsson skated better at the same age.

Just for the record, Silayev is a good skater. Whether he will improve it or not is not going to define his career.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
In the last 2 KHL postseasons, Daniil But's one game in the 23 playoffs was the entirety of appearances from players in their aged 17 season.

Silayev has matched that today.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I called his early season hype and his draft rankings a fraud.
So yes, you called him a fraud.

What is the difference between calling a player a “fraud” and saying the ranking every person puts him at is a “fraud”? It’s the same thing.

Last edited:

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
So yes, you called him a fraud.

What is the difference between calling a player a “fraud” and saying the ranking every person puts him at is a “fraud”? It’s the same thing.
I mean, I don't see it as the same thing. The player can be good but not as good as the hype. The hype can be the problem. Maybe the wording isn't to your liking, maybe fraud was the wrong word choice, but I think the point is clear that Garl thinks the player is good but not as good as his first 20 games and subsequent hype.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I mean, I don't see it as the same thing. The player can be good but not as good as the hype. The hype can be the problem. Maybe the wording isn't to your liking, maybe fraud was the wrong word choice, but I think the point is clear that Garl thinks the player is good but not as good as his first 20 games and subsequent hype.
Except that Garl has pretty consistently been anti-Russian, so it’s hard to take his opinion on Russian players seriously.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I hope ARI drafts this guy, so he can play with But and Simashev. Lamoureux, Simashev, and Silayev would be a really nice start on a big d-core that can skate.
Plus Geekie & But up front. Would be a fun little experiment

Except that Garl has pretty consistently been anti-Russian, so it’s hard to take his opinion on Russian players seriously.
This is a very generous assessment of his takes on Russian prospects. I haven’t seen anyone who thinks Silayev is as good as his start to the season. If that was happening, he would be ahead of Celebrini and one of the best defensive prospects in history

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Plus Geekie & But up front. Would be a fun little experiment

This is a very generous assessment of his takes on Russian prospects. I haven’t seen anyone who thinks Silayev is as good as his start to the season. If that was happening, he would be ahead of Celebrini and one of the best defensive prospects in history
Let it be noted that I always, 1000% of the time, abide by the rules and regulations of HF boards for com.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I've read all the controversial threads and I think he's given more of a bad rap than he deserves. Sure, he tweaks people, just like Pavel and Fantomas and others tweak people by being rabidly and excessively hyped about eg Michkov, but Garl hasn't explicitly been anti Russian, he's just typically more skeptical of very hyped Russians.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Did play today confirming that hit looked worse than the result. But Torpedo’s season is over as they were eliminated from the postseason by SKA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad