LD Anton Silayev - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2024 draft)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

The kid is 6'7, 207 at age 17. He played almost 20 min in his fist KHL game of the season and 16:51 in his second game, Larionov used him in SH situations. He's 0+1 after two games, and a very good skater, especially given his size.

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
Another point.

Edit: Wow, 2 point game. And 3 points in 3 KHL games...

Last edited:

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
Looks like he grabbed another assist on the power play.
Is this kid playing all situations? For his size and skating combo he’ll be considered in the first round for sure. Depending on his season I think he can work his way up to top 10 easily, maybe top 5. How many times have we seen a true DY dman get this many minutes in the KHL? I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
TOP 5 talk is very premature and an obvious overreaction. His last season in MHL was pedestrian.
He didn't have many points but Simashev didn't have many points in the MHL either. Yet he had impressed the scouts before to join the KHL.

If he (Silayev) entered a KHL top 4 from the start of the season - it's because he had proven things.

Simashev came out 6. He is bigger than him, has already produced points that Simashev never had. This type of profile is very rare and highly sought after, so it is normal that some already see him as a potential top 5 pick in the draft. A 17-year-old defender who takes a place in the KHL with a height of 2 meters is very rare.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
TOP 5 talk is very premature and an obvious overreaction. His last season in MHL was pedestrian.
Development is not linear. Who cares what he did last year and what situation he was in? He has 4 points in 4 KHL games. The eye test shows massive promise as well, he is a good (not great) skater for his size and is playing on the powerplay. He’s easily in consideration for the top 5 from what I’ve seen. Without a concrete 1OA stud, he could end up literally anywhere come draft day.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
He didn't have many points but Simashev didn't have many points in the MHL either. Yet he had impressed the scouts before to join the KHL.

If he (Silayev) entered a KHL top 4 from the start of the season - it's because he had proven things.

Simashev came out 6. He is bigger than him, has already produced points that Simashev never had. This type of profile is very rare and highly sought after, so it is normal that some already see him as a potential top 5 pick in the draft. A 17-year-old defender who takes a place in the KHL with a height of 2 meters is very rare.

Look, it has been 4 games, and it quite possible is just a hot streak. Nikita Lyamkin, a historically low scoring defenseman has 6 pts in 5 games now, Will he keep it up? No. Same with Silayev.

He is not a top4 defenseman either, there are 4 guys who play more than him.

Is what he is doing at the moment impressive? Sure it is.

Reactions: hellwar9

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Development is not linear. Who cares what he did last year and what situation he was in? He has 4 points in 4 KHL games. The eye test shows massive promise as well, he is a good (not great) skater for his size and is playing on the powerplay. He’s easily in consideration for the top 5 from what I’ve seen. Without a concrete 1OA stud, he could end up literally anywhere come draft day.
Who cares what he did last year? I dunno, scouts, hockey people in general. The fact that you say he is "easily in consideration for TOP 5" after coming out of nowhere(even in Russia he was not considered to be anything special) and playing just 4 games is an obvious overreaction. If he keeps it up, maybe he is the first overall and a new Hedman I don't know, but as of right now the most likely explanation is that it is just a hot streak.

Reactions: LewisIggy

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Look, it has been 4 games, and it quite possible is just a hot streak. Nikita Lyamkin, a historically low scoring defenseman has 6 pts in 5 games now, Will he keep it up? No. Same with Silayev.

People don't tell you he's going to score 1 point per game. Just that he is 2 meters tall, is a good skater and is in the top 4 of his team. So even more attractive profile than Simashev, selected 6. Very promising.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019

I don’t understand why people bring up older defensemen when talking about 17-year-old defensemen. Lyamkin is 27, Silayev is 17. We have seen that players with more years of experience excel more in European leagues.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
People don't tell you he's going to score 1 point per game. Just that he is 2 meters tall, is a good skater and is in the top 4 of his team. So even more attractive profile than Simashev, selected 6. Very promising.
The skating is not comparable. Simashev is on a wholly different level. Not saying Silayev isn’t better or won’t have a better career. That I don’t know. But “good” isnt quite the superlative for Simashev’s skating.

Last edited:

MikeyS

Aug 28, 2023
The skating is not comparable. Simashev is on a wholly different level. Not saying Silayev isn’t better or won’t have a better career. That I don’t know. But “good” isnt quite the superlative for Simashev’s skating.
His skating is fine, but isn’t good by any stretch. Gets caught flat footed frequently edges need work for sure. When you need to put “for his size” when talking about his skating, he’s not a good skater. He’s a Logan Stanley like skater.

Simishev is an excellent skater, one i don’t know if we have ever seen for a defender his size. maybe Hedman is the closest comp? but it’s rare nonetheless

• Haha
Reactions: Goldenhands

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It might be a hot streak, but not that many play KHL in their draft year. The offense matters, but Simashev was picked very high without much offense. Teams are going to look at his profile and think he can be a very good defensive defensemen with time. If he can also score a lot of points, he could be a Chara profile defenseman.

Last season matters. You can’t completely discount it, but if you believe this isn’t a hot streak and this is a much improved player, that will probably matter more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad