Post-Game Talk: LB sets Record in Debut but the Oilers ruin it

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
LB looks like a very solid prospect. Not to overrate LB, but the Oilers would be wise to find a two year solution in net this summer.

Anderson stands out. I wonder if you could get Anderson plus Cowen?

Niemi on a two year deal would also be ok. Neuvirth too.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Miller has two years left. Good fit to ease Brossoit in.

15-16 Miller and Scrivens, Brossoit AHL

16-17 Miller and Brossoit

17-18 Brossoit and xxx

Bangers

May 31, 2006
TL;DW

Glad Brossoit looked good (according to posters here), but let's remember, so have Scrivens, Fasth, Dubie, Khabby, heck - Mike freaking Morrison in shorts stints.

Plus, from looking at the lineup, there was no way that D lineup was giving up under 40 shots (I'm actually ok with this, nothing to play for now so it's good for the team to get a look at some AHL defenders and see if they have a future).

I'm not yet ready to anoint Brossoit our new lord and savior - does anybody remember how well Scrivens played a year ago?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
TL;DW

Glad Brossoit looked good (according to posters here), but let's remember, so have Scrivens, Fasth, Dubie, Khabby, heck - Mike freaking Morrison in shorts stints.

Plus, from looking at the lineup, there was no way that D lineup was giving up under 40 shots (I'm actually ok with this, nothing to play for now so it's good for the team to get a look at some AHL defenders and see if they have a future).

I'm not yet ready to anoint Brossoit our new lord and savior - does anybody remember how well Scrivens played a year ago?

The difference with Sievens and Brossoit is Brossoit has played well pretty much everywhere he went. He never deviated from his "efficient but effective for his size" goaltending style.

Sievens, on the other hand, had Ranford correct his BS skills that he acquired while with Allaire and the Leafs [and thus, looked Holy during his LA stint], only to revert back to that ****** style because of Chabot and the "French blocking" style.

Two completely different scenarios.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
LB looked very good technically, I'm impressed.
LB is the best "technical" goalie i have seen in the oilers nets in a long time. he made all the regular shots look easy with perfect positioning. his rebound control was great as he made sure he was deflecting them to a spot where he could easily be in position for another save. His post to post movements were great and his reactions on passes and movements were excellent.

As opposed to scrivens who typically makes the first save then it is a mad scramble and panic to be reset for shots. LB just moved fluidly and used his size to make the majority of saves.

Last night he reminded me of Braden holtby when he first played with the caps. Extremely calm and almost prefect technically. I hope it translates into the future, he could be the backbone the oilers havent had since roloson.

I also loved his reaction on the Marleau goal. his crap D let a premier scorer in the NHL walk in all alone. LB played the move perfect and marleau made an nhl goal scorers play and roofed it. after the goal LB had a look on his face like he should have had it. not in a way that he was down on himself but you could see that even an elite goal scorers goal he felt like he should have had. Winners attitude, i bet he watches that video with the goalie coaches and see where and when marleau made his move and the next time someone tries that move he might be closer to stopping it.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Oh yeah, MacT's Oilers need to pick up two points on Saturday to surpass Tambellini's lowest point total of 62. Yes, five years after finishing 30th the first time, this year's team is most likley going to have an even lower total.

this sums up the quality of the Edmonton oilers perfectly.

maybe the 4th rebuild will go better than the first 3

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
So with all the talk of using size, being efficient and calm, in otherwords LB looks like Dubnyk when he was playing well eh?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
So with all the talk of using size, being efficient and calm, in otherwords LB looks like Dubnyk when he was playing well eh?

i would say no, dubnyk is 3" bigger and uses his size 90-95% of the the time. Brossoit uses his size very effectively but made at least 8-10 pure athletic saves some of which dubnyk on his best night couldnt make based purely on athleticism. im not saying LB is better than dubnyk but his technical skill in net is very very good.

popo

Aug 9, 2005
Was I the only one who thought Yak looked great tonight? Our only threat offensively. I have no clue why we keep trying Taylor Hall at center, even for a few games, just pointless.

Agreed. That experiment has already failed. The guy is a natural winger, too much of a defensive liability to survive at center.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Brossoit was pretty impressive to me last night. I felt very comfortable watching him in net...as opposed to how I feel when Scrivens is playing.

I wasn't nervous at all.

Hall's looking like a surprisingly decent center. I was also pretty happy with Yaks and Aulie's games.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
At least we know that MacT has crossed 'We need a goalie!!!!!!!!' off his list of to-do's for this summer.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Brossoit was pretty impressive to me last night. I felt very comfortable watching him in net...as opposed to how I feel when Scrivens is playing.

I wasn't nervous at all.

Hall's looking like a surprisingly decent center. I was also pretty happy with Yaks and Aulie's games.

I don't want to discredit LB. if given time, he could be a great goalie, but I remember many of us talked this way about Scrivens last year after a game against SJ...

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Count me in with the "let's not jump the gun but Brossoit looked impressive"-crowd. Very technically skilled goalie, loved how he had his pads flat to the ground every time he Went down, taking away Everything down low while still able to extend them to make a pad save. You pretty much have to go high on him and he seemed to be capable enough to fight off those shots as well. Tiny sample but so far so good.

Now he just needs to do this about 60 games a year for the next fifteen seasons and we're golden.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't want to discredit LB. if given time, he could be a great goalie, but I remember many of us talked this way about Scrivens last year after a game against SJ...

When Sievens played for us, it was the Ranford corrected way. Once he settled and Chabot touched him, he was forever tainted.:naughty:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

I get ya. And it was only one game. But I'd like to stay positive about prospects until they prove me wrong.

Unfortunately, too many of them have. But I'll keep on dreaming. Sooner or later one of our goalie prospects will turn out.....when they have a good, solid, experienced goalie to join the fold with.

One thing to take note of is the D that was in front of Scrivens that one game and the D in front of Brossoit. They may have ben putrid NHL D's for the one, but they were not the Spring Chickens that were marched single file to the little old Voodoo lady's hovel in last night's game.

Last edited:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
LB is the best "technical" goalie i have seen in the oilers nets in a long time. he made all the regular shots look easy with perfect positioning. his rebound control was great as he made sure he was deflecting them to a spot where he could easily be in position for another save. His post to post movements were great and his reactions on passes and movements were excellent.

As opposed to scrivens who typically makes the first save then it is a mad scramble and panic to be reset for shots. LB just moved fluidly and used his size to make the majority of saves.

Last night he reminded me of Braden holtby when he first played with the caps. Extremely calm and almost prefect technically. I hope it translates into the future, he could be the backbone the oilers havent had since roloson.

I also loved his reaction on the Marleau goal. his crap D let a premier scorer in the NHL walk in all alone. LB played the move perfect and marleau made an nhl goal scorers play and roofed it. after the goal LB had a look on his face like he should have had it. not in a way that he was down on himself but you could see that even an elite goal scorers goal he felt like he should have had. Winners attitude, i bet he watches that video with the goalie coaches and see where and when marleau made his move and the next time someone tries that move he might be closer to stopping it.

Agreed - even on the 2nd goal, cross-ice pass on the Couture rush past Aulie, he tracked it very well and almost had it - and didn't make a wild move either, he pushed to the post and tried to make himself big. Shot was well-paced, but I think of Fasth or Scrivens diving awkwardly to save that.

The concern I have with games like this - I get that neither team had anything to play for - but 2 days ago, this lineup beats a Kings team they had no business beating, through good goaltending and a really good effort. Then nobody but Brossoit shows up last night.

There hasn't been a coach, including noted "positive guys" Krueger and Nelson, that can motivate these guys on a game-to-game basis.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
hmmmmmm maybe we got something in LB here. I was part of the side that liked the Smid deal. Now I like it even more.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
LB looks so smooth in the net, unlike the scrambling mess that is Scrivens.

Yup, he impressed me bigtime. Always square to the puck, quick, great reflexes, always seemed in control. Things that Scrivens hasn't shown us all year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
TL;DW

Scrivens was a 26 year old journeyman goalie. LB has solid CHL and AHL stats. he shouldn't get recognition from 1 NHL game, it should be from his stellar AHL season. However unfortuantly people don't give him credit for that. All credit he is getting is deserved, just in a round about way

I would say his career is at a much, much better stage than Scrivens or Fasth at the same age.

Brossoit looks so natural and poised in net, Scrivens looks hyperactive and all over the place.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well it was just one game but just that one game should help us scratch some of the names that are getting thrown out there to solve our goaltending needs. Markstrom\Subban\Fucale etc.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I was at the game:

Brossoit play seemed even better live. Looked like he was always one step ahead of the play and making excellent reads. Too bad Schultz blew the shutout

Keyed in on Klefbom with the puck on some occasions, and dude made some tremendous plays

Yakupov was always dangerous out there, and playing a gritty game

Musil seemed fine, a calming presence on the blue line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad