Confirmed with Link: Lawson Crouse and Dave Bolland for 2nd and 3rd picks

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Let's not forget we have had 2 players hit 30 goals in a season once each in last 8 plus years. Now we have a kid who has never scored 30 in a season in Jr hockey and we expect him to do that in a far tougher league to score in where on average about 20 or so players score 30 or more goals a year??? This kid could become an effective NHL player but those who have this expectation are setting themselves up for a major letdown.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I think Crouse has the talent to be a 35-45 point power forward. But like someone else said, he has the speed and sze to play on any line. I could see him putting up 60 points. But he won't be the catalyst for that...

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Crouse will give you a player that plays tough every shift. I think it would be wrong to say that he will be a big goal scorer.

What he will be is the guy that cleans out the corners and makes an impact each shift.

Expect him to make the team and play a good 3rd line role this year and move up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
McGinn avg. 17g 14a 31pt / 82
Doan has avg 22g 30a 52 /82

Nobody believes he'll be as good as Doan, right?

This is just for reference by the way. To help with projection.

Doan's numbers would be much higher if he hung them up 5 yrs. ago, so no, I don't see Crouse as good as Doan, but I think he will be much more productive than McGinn.

Let's not forget we have had 2 players hit 30 goals in a season once each in last 8 plus years. Now we have a kid who has never scored 30 in a season in Jr hockey and we expect him to do that in a far tougher league to score in where on average about 20 or so players score 30 or more goals a year??? This kid could become an effective NHL player but those who have this expectation are setting themselves up for a major letdown.

True, but you can't forget the kind of talent we had around here the last decade. I think Crouse can be a very productive player, and that just doesn't have to be points, but I hope he can be in the 40-50 pt. range.

I think Crouse has the talent to be a 35-45 point power forward. But like someone else said, he has the speed and sze to play on any line. I could see him putting up 60 points. But he won't be the catalyst for that...

If he hits 60 pts. I will do cartwheels at center ice.:nod:

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Crouse will give you a player that plays tough every shift. I think it would be wrong to say that he will be a big goal scorer.

What he will be is the guy that cleans out the corners and makes an impact each shift.

Expect him to make the team and play a good 3rd line role this year and move up.

I don't see him making the team this year, but I have to say that is my gut feeling as I have never seen Crouse play.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Doan has been scoring at about his season average for last 5 years with about 20 goals per year, that's the player he is. If Crouse can average anywhere in that range he will be a successful NHL player for years to come. Regularly scoring 30 is a pipe dream in my opinion. Goals are really hard to score in today's nhl.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Lots of athletes have the body and the measurable but not the achievements. I hope that we didn't trade for a recruiting poster boy. How did he go in the top of the first round without production to match the measurables? Great measurables without achievement get you on deodorant commercials.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't see any indication that Crouse has anywhere near he skill level to have a Shane Doan career.

If everything works out, he could end up the new Mike Grier. And we'd be damn lucky.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He has scored very well both of the last two seasons. His goals per game ranks him as a 1st round prospect. It's the fact that he also has the rest rest of the package that put him in the upper 1st round.

He'll never be a playmaker with good assist totals. He's a goal scorer.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think this is a brilliant move and I've loved the aggressive use of our cap space to maximize value, in terms of potential. I think they specifically targeted Crouse as a good fit in Tippett's system and the young group of players they're assembling.

Along with the targeted welcoming of free agents, I really like the direction new management is taking is the finishing touches on the rebuild.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think this is a brilliant move and I've loved the aggressive use of our cap space to maximize value, in terms of potential. I think they specifically targeted Crouse as a good fit in Tippett's system and the young group of players they're assembling.

Along with the targeted welcoming of free agents, I really like the direction new management is taking is the finishing touches on the rebuild.

Totally agree.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I like the player and think he will do well. I just find the expectation of 30 goals a little lofty, the expectation of doing it regularly just plain crazy.
Just watch the kid play. You will be impressed.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I like the player and think he will do well. I just find the expectation of 30 goals a little lofty, the expectation of doing it regularly just plain crazy.

I wouldn't put it past him to have a few 30+ goal seasons, but I think over the course of his career he will sit in the 20 goal range.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It seems like I'm beating a dead horse but in last 5 years a grand total of 50 NHL players have scored 100 or more goals for an average of 20 per year. How confident are you that a kid who can barely do that in Jr's, probably doesn't project as a 1st liner, and will play for Tippett will do it numerous times? Not too mention will be the best scorer on the team while not expected to be the best player.
I wouldn't put it past him to have a few 30+ goal seasons, but I think over the course of his career he will sit in the 20 goal range.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
We have plenty of skill guys. Crouse will prob find a home in the top six because he's a guy who is good defensively who can retrieve the puck in the corners and be an unmovable object in the front of the net. His point totals will likely never match the impact he has on the ice.

rt

May 13, 2004
It seems like I'm beating a dead horse but in last 5 years a grand total of 50 NHL players have scored 100 or more goals for an average of 20 per year. How confident are you that a kid who can barely do that in Jr's, probably doesn't project as a 1st liner, and will play for Tippett will do it numerous times? Not too mention will be the best scorer on the team while not expected to be the best player.

People are being nuts. Hope for Mike Grier. You may not end up disappointed.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I don't see any indication that Crouse has anywhere near he skill level to have a Shane Doan career.

If everything works out, he could end up the new Mike Grier. And we'd be damn lucky.

I don't think Doan has ever played with the kind of talent we hope to have with Strome, Domi, Keller etc. Those guys are the only reason I think Crouse could hit 60 points at some point in his career.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
We have plenty of skill guys. Crouse will prob find a home in the top six because he's a guy who is good defensively who can retrieve the puck in the corners and be an unmovable object in the front of the net. His point totals will likely never match the impact he has on the ice.

Both of these posts are spot on.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I expect him to be much better than Grier, but if he only gets to the level of Grier and plays like him I guess I could live with that.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I've only seen him at the WJC. He was...there...

Role at WJC does not always correlate to role/impact at NHL level.

He's a great power forward prospect. He will play in NHL for next decade. Top end potential to hit 30 is there. All depends on who he's paired up with. Probert hit 29 riding shotgun for Yzerman. If Strome or Keller are the players that they are projected to be then have some expectations.

For those of us that have watched this kid play in Kingston. We've seen a dominant physical presence who can skate, score, play in all situations, and be a leader on the ice. He's worth being excited about.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Dylan Strome is a 60-70pt NHL player. Not Lawson Crouse. Betcha he never hits 50.

I would wager a drink that if Strome and Crouse both make the team and stay up all year, Crouse will be less than 20 points behind Strome even though Strome will get more minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad