Confirmed with Link: Lawson Crouse and Dave Bolland for 2nd and 3rd picks

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The Coyotes arent doing anything another rebuilding team wouldn't do. The existence of the salary cap creates this sort of supply and demand.

Then again, I believe it was Campbell who wanted it abolished

SoCloseToToast*

Realistically, what are the chances that Crouse makes the Coyotes this year?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think we'll lose either McGinn or Richardson to Vegas.

Depending on what Las Vegas has to work with, we could ask them to take a 2018 draft pick from us to pick up Bolland - which would basically do the same thing for that team - Bolland doesn't play, Vegas pays $1.1M each year for two years, but the $5.5M counts toward the cap hit if they can't get a ton of high dollar contracts there and need to support the cap floor. Dount it works out like that and I could see them being more likely to go with a player like Schenn or Richardson in that scenario.

Feb 12, 2003
It feels like the impasse with Rieder is hurting his chances more and more. The team is trying to build depth and they might just pick up someone that makes Rieder expendable. I don't doubt that Rieder would be fine with moving on, but he may end up losing a half a season in the NHL over this if he doesn't find a middle ground with the team and vice versa. That could impact him in future negotiations and all backfire. Hopefully both sides are committed to getting a deal in place before camp.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Funny, Ken Campbell, who cries about the Bolland deal, sang the opposite tune when the Leafs dealt Clarkson for Horton.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/c...nd-brilliant-circumvention-of-the-salary-cap/

As the headline states, "Clarkson-for-Horton trade a legal, and brilliant, circumvention of the salary cap".

Dude's a fraud.

Also, the media must stop grouping Pronger into the same category with Bolland and Datsyuk. Our major return from Pronger was Niklas Grossman! It also saved us the cash of a Gagner buyout.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Realistically, what are the chances that Crouse makes the Coyotes this year?

My view is it greatly depends on whether Rieder comes back or not. With Rieder in the lineup, Crouse is 95% likeley to be heading back to the Kingston. If Rieder bolts to the KHL then I think Crouse is the most likely candidate to fill the hole. There would be a number of others to battle for that spot so I'd put his odds at 50% in that scenario.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Funny, Ken Campbell, who cries about the Bolland deal, sang the opposite tune when the Leafs dealt Clarkson for Horton.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/c...nd-brilliant-circumvention-of-the-salary-cap/

As the headline states, "Clarkson-for-Horton trade a legal, and brilliant, circumvention of the salary cap".

Dude's a fraud.

Also, the media must stop grouping Pronger into the same category with Bolland and Datsyuk. Our major return from Pronger was Niklas Grossman! It also saved us the cash of a Gagner buyout.

He's talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My view is it greatly depends on whether Rieder comes back or not. With Rieder in the lineup, Crouse is 95% likeley to be heading back to the Kingston. If Rieder bolts to the KHL then I think Crouse is the most likely candidate to fill the hole. There would be a number of others to battle for that spot so I'd put his odds at 50% in that scenario.

Rieder would have already gone to the KHL if that was his intention. It was a bluff on his agents part and it did not work. Does anyone know when the KHL season starts?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Reider is playing for Team Europe at the World Cup. I think he (his agent) said there won't be a KHL decision until after that tournament wraps up. Unless of course he signs with AZ before then.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It might be good if he goes to the KHL. We keep his rights, he gets another year of experience and we get to look at another prospect for a season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It might be good if he goes to the KHL. We keep his rights, he gets another year of experience and we get to look at another prospect for a season.

That works. I would be very surprised if Rieder is not signed, but the way this off season is going who knows.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Most players who come from KHL bust. A select few thrive. I don't want to take that risk on Rieder.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I really wouldn't care if he left. We have plenty of players from within who are bound to replace him one day anyways. May as well call them uo

Not so fast there buddy. In my opinion, Rieder could become a core player for this team playing on the third line. His PK skills are getting better and he can be used on the PP if needed. The only thing, two years does not make a career, and he has to prove to everyone that he still has room to grow and get better, and if he does his pay day will come.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Can't imagine he bolts to the KHL over a couple $100Ks. As of the last report, the two sides were apart by about $400,000 or so.

I wonder if there is another factor here? Rieder asked out of Edmonton because the writing was on the wall that he wouldn't get much opportunity given the Oilers' winger depth. Perhaps the same situation is materializing with him in Arizona. He's already behind Domi, and probably all 3 of Domi, Crouse, and Perlini with the next year.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Can't imagine he bolts to the KHL over a couple $100Ks. As of the last report, the two sides were apart by about $400,000 or so.

I wonder if there is another factor here? Rieder asked out of Edmonton because the writing was on the wall that he wouldn't get much opportunity given the Oilers' winger depth. Perhaps the same situation is materializing with him in Arizona. He's already behind Domi, and probably all 3 of Domi, Crouse, and Perlini with the next year.

I really hope a 400k difference isn't the issue here. I'd feel better if Rieder was asking for 3.5 and management was asking 2.5. 400k seems so nominal to argue over (at least from a pro sports perspective).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I really hope a 400k difference isn't the issue here. I'd feel better if Rieder was asking for 3.5 and management was asking 2.5. 400k seems so nominal to argue over (at least from a pro sports perspective).

You have to set a precedent. If management feels Rieder is worth 2mill. why pay 2.3?

cobra427

May 6, 2012

There is no need or benefit for the Coyotes to over pay. I am sure the Coyotes have run the comparable's to assess value, Chayka is an analytics guy after all. They could go to arbitration and let a third party decide. I suspect the arb decision will be right at the Coyotes offer price. RFA's don't have any leverage, you have to be a UFA for that. His agent can wait/threaten an option in Europe, or whatever, none of it makes a difference. Reider will sign at market value, sooner or later, because that is his best and really only option.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Perhaps the same situation is materializing with him in Arizona. He's already behind Domi, and probably all 3 of Domi, Crouse, and Perlini with the next year.
By what measure is Toby Rieder behind Lawson Crouse and Brendan Perlini?

Rieder has three seasons of pro hockey, two in the NHL, and put up 37 points as a 23 year old playing in "the men's league" last season.

Perlini has zero seasons of pro hockey, and put up 45 points as a 20 year old playing in the kids league last season.

Crouse needs to dominate, not just be good, but dominate in camp if he wants to stay out of the OHL this season. He's not the same as Strome, an elite playmaker who has absolutely destroyed the OHL twice. Crouse is a big body who has been borderline dominant in the OHL twice.

Perlini has plenty to prove in the AHL before he moves to Scottsdale. We have the option to keep Crouse in juniors, so he needs to do something spectacular to force Tipp to keep him here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Would the Coyotes have traded for Crouse if Reider wasn't having a contract dispute?

I think so. Getting another top 10 prospect gives the Coyotes more chance of success. We know all these prospects won't turn out, so the more high end one's you have the better.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
By what measure is Toby Rieder behind Lawson Crouse and Brendan Perlini?

Rieder has three seasons of pro hockey, two in the NHL, and put up 37 points as a 23 year old playing in "the men's league" last season.

Perlini has zero seasons of pro hockey, and put up 45 points as a 20 year old playing in the kids league last season.

Crouse needs to dominate, not just be good, but dominate in camp if he wants to stay out of the OHL this season. He's not the same as Strome, an elite playmaker who has absolutely destroyed the OHL twice. Crouse is a big body who has been borderline dominant in the OHL twice.

Perlini has plenty to prove in the AHL before he moves to Scottsdale. We have the option to keep Crouse in juniors, so he needs to do something spectacular to force Tipp to keep him here.

He did say within a year. Who knows, but I have done some due diligence on Crouse, and the more I read, the more I like him. Training camp will give us a much better picture.

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
Pretty sure we would

Would the Coyotes have traded for Crouse if Reider wasn't having a contract dispute?

Think Reider and Crouse are different types of players. We needed a big body forward to balance out our roster. Other than Hanzal and Doan, not a lot of Coyotes play the "heavy" game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad