Confirmed with Link: Lawson Crouse and Dave Bolland for 2nd and 3rd picks

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I am hoping in a year or 2 we have a balanced offense with 5 or 6 guys with 50 plus points. Maybe Domi getting 70, Duclair and Strome both with 35 goals.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You are simply delusional, only 9 players scored 35 goals league wide last year and 8 the year before that and you believe the Coyotes will have 2 do it. 2 middle of the pack at best offensive players. Coyotes have had only two players in team history score 35 in a single season so I guess we're Due??
I am hoping in a year or 2 we have a balanced offense with 5 or 6 guys with 50 plus points. Maybe Domi getting 70, Duclair and Strome both with 35 goals.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
You are simply delusional, only 9 players scored 35 goals league wide last year and 8 the year before that and you believe the Coyotes will have 2 do it. 2 middle of the pack at best offensive players. Coyotes have had only two players in team history score 35 in a single season so I guess we're Due??

A little harsh no? I said "I hope". Looking at Boston this past season they had 4 players with 60+ points and 3 30 goal scorers. I don't think it is "delusional" that OEL and Domi continue to improve. Then IF Strome develops into a legit 1st line C we have the potential to have a couple real scoring lines.

I hope it happens. I don't expect it to.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
More reality than harsh. 2 of those 3 Bruins play for Team Canada in a few weeks, how many of those Coyotes do you predict making that jump?
A little harsh no? I said "I hope". Looking at Boston this past season they had 4 players with 60+ points and 3 30 goal scorers. I don't think it is "delusional" that OEL and Domi continue to improve. Then IF Strome develops into a legit 1st line C we have the potential to have a couple real scoring lines.

I hope it happens. I don't expect it to.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The main thing is we don't know what we have yet other than a bunch of high draft picks. There's nothing wrong with hoping for the best from them. I don't think any of us regular posters believes they'll all be stars but this is the first time since we had guys named Tkachuk and Roenick that we've had a real reason to be optimistic about the future of this team. This group has more talented guys top to bottom too. Will a couple of them turn out to be stars like Keith and JR? Who knows but if a couple do, there's a good bet they'll be surrounded by a better supporting cast than they had.

I'm going to keep hoping more of our young guys pan out than don't. Dreaming is free and I'm tired of watching untalented slugs defend the deficit!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I can appreciate 2 35 goal scorers is unlikely given the state of goal scoring. I certainly think Domi will be able to score 10+ more points than his rookie year as the team adds talent around him. With the increase in talent OEL should be able to add a few more points. Then we need 1 or 2 of Strome, Dvorak, Duclair, or Keller to be at Domi 's level.

Again, hopeful.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Everyone acts like Tkachuk was thought to be a superstar from Day 1. Reality is the pick was heavily heavily criticized. As in can the GM and the counting staff immediately stuff. It took 2+ seasons before people started to wake up to his potential. Same story repeated with Wheeler. He was awful for 3+ seasons AFTER he was drafted. Power forwards take some time but the payoff is huge or do we need to acknowledge how Wheeler is a top line player on virtually any team in the league. So I would encourage everyone to not write off an incredibly good player like Crouse. The best is yet to come. Some hockey mags predict him for 10+ goals and 30 plus points this season. The guys who have seen him play believe.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I agree and for the record 8 seasons in Wheeler has yet to crack the 30 goal mark!!
Everyone acts like Tkachuk was thought to be a superstar from Day 1. Reality is the pick was heavily heavily criticized. As in can the GM and the counting staff immediately stuff. It took 2+ seasons before people started to wake up to his potential. Same story repeated with Wheeler. He was awful for 3+ seasons AFTER he was drafted. Power forwards take some time but the payoff is huge or do we need to acknowledge how Wheeler is a top line player on virtually any team in the league. So I would encourage everyone to not write off an incredibly good player like Crouse. The best is yet to come. Some hockey mags predict him for 10+ goals and 30 plus points this season. The guys who have seen him play believe.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well put hbk. Only thing I have a different recollection of Tkachuk. He was part of the trade that sent Hawerchuk to Buffalo so there is that but he scored 28 goals and had 200 pim in his rookie year. He scored 41 his second season. He was a star.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree and for the record 8 seasons in Wheeler has yet to crack the 30 goal mark!!

One of the first frustrating threads I ran into on the main boards was arguing with a Ranger fan about how Doan wasn't worth giving up 30 goal scorer Prucha for. Doan who had never scored 30 goals was an inferior player in his eyes. I still chuckle at the absurdity of his position.

Wheeler may not have cracked 30 but he's proved himself. Just as Doan has. Just as I believe Crouse will as well. Patience.

I believe Crouse is going to play with either Keller or Strome down the road. He will be that net front presence that we wish Hanzal was and that we have always wanted. Pucks are going to go off his shin pads, his butt, hit him accidentally. He's going to produce at a better clip than expected. A 30 goal season is not beyond the realm of possibilities. I'm looking forward to watching him develop.

Now if we could somehow snag Provorov out of Philli.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well put hbk. Only thing I have a different recollection of Tkachuk. He was part of the trade that sent Hawerchuk to Buffalo so there is that but he scored 28 goals and had 200 pim in his rookie year. He scored 41 his second season. He was a star.

The media hated the Hawerchuk trade as they already had 3 puck moving D in Ellett, Olausson, and Numminen and dealing for the small puck moving Housley and a kid who was playing high school hockey going to NCAA (which wasn't as well regarded for development at the time) it was viewed as a very bad return. Keep in mind we dropped down in the draft and they picked Brad May who was a highly regarded junior player.

Other names we turned down btw include: Scott Stevens, a package that included both Hull and Oates ( came from an interview I listened to with the Professor on a show called "The two sports guys") so I'm not sure the media isn't completely wrong here for their stance. Value wise it was lower than expected for a player in Hawerchuk who was once though of being in the same level of talent as Lemieux and Gretzky. A 5'9" 160 lb D who was scared of his shadow in his own zone and getting a worse draft pick wasn't great value.

Tkachuk wasn't started to be viewed positively until his year in NCAA and his Play in the Albertville Olympics.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
In the end, potential isn't inherent to the player. It is a label that the so called experts paste on his back. Only production counts.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
And Crouse hasn't produced.

Am I glad we traded for him? Yup!

Do I think he'll be a good player and fan favorite? Yup!

Do I think he'll ever crack 25g or 50pts? Nope!

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The good part is that we don't NEED him to be a 25 g 50 pt player. If he hits that. I'm freaking ecstatic. But the need isn't there for him to be more than what he is. I have very high confidence that he will be a very good complimentary player.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
And Crouse hasn't produced.

Am I glad we traded for him? Yup!

Do I think he'll be a good player and fan favorite? Yup!

Do I think he'll ever crack 25g or 50pts? Nope!

I think he should crack 25 with the right linemates. Eventually. Looking at hartnell's stat line for a possible comparable.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The main thing is we don't know what we have yet other than a bunch of high draft picks. There's nothing wrong with hoping for the best from them. I don't think any of us regular posters believes they'll all be stars but this is the first time since we had guys named Tkachuk and Roenick that we've had a real reason to be optimistic about the future of this team. This group has more talented guys top to bottom too. Will a couple of them turn out to be stars like Keith and JR? Who knows but if a couple do, there's a good bet they'll be surrounded by a better supporting cast than they had.

I'm going to keep hoping more of our young guys pan out than don't. Dreaming is free and I'm tired of watching untalented slugs defend the deficit!

Good post.:nod:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
How would you compare Crouse and Tkachuk coming out of their draft year?

I wasn't watching US high school hockey at the time. I will say this though. The only thing that comes close to the media reaction at the time is the reaction everyone had when we went off the board at 5OV to select Wheeler in 2004.

Crouse is the best power forward prospect in years. He in my mind compared to the selection of Doan by this franchise in 95.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You certainly do dream in technicolour hbk - I hope you're projection works out as well as you are anticipating.

If you're gonna dream. Dream big.

In all seriousness though. The draft day response in both comparisons (Tkachuk to Wheeler and Crouse to Doan) is fairly representative.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I not sure why there is this feeling that if a guy does not score a ton of goals he is a waste of skin.

There have been many players in the NHL that made their name by being set up and shut down players.

Crouse is going to be the go to player that you can send out when the game is close and know that he will hold the line.

He is not going to be one of the many that will try to get the next point he will do what is good for the team.

He can set up and be a good line mate for a scoring forward. He played well with Bennett and a few others.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I am not sure where you got the thought in your first sentence?
I not sure why there is this feeling that if a guy does not score a ton of goals he is a waste of skin.

There have been many players in the NHL that made their name by being set up and shut down players.

Crouse is going to be the go to player that you can send out when the game is close and know that he will hold the line.

He is not going to be one of the many that will try to get the next point he will do what is good for the team.

He can set up and be a good line mate for a scoring forward. He played well with Bennett and a few others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad