Confirmed with Link: Lawson Crouse and Dave Bolland for 2nd and 3rd picks

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If Bishop is what's available that's cool, but I think it would be better to get someone who doesn't have a big contract. Just snag someone's backup who has played well, like Edmonton did with Talbot, or Calgary with Elliot, etc. Bishop is much more of a known quantity though.
For a change, entering a season, the goalie situation isn't primarily about Smith. It's about Louie and how he plays in the 25+ starts he'll get. Probably more given the likelihood of a Smith injury with condensed schedule.

IMO better than 50% chance this is Smith's final season in AZ. He'll have only 2 yrs left after 16-17. Expansion or buyout.

With only $39m in committed salaries for 17-18, lowest in the NHL, the Coyotes could take on a Bishop or MAF-type contract. But ideally another step forward from Louie and there won't be a pressing need to do so.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Wait? Crouse? You expect 30+ goal peak production from him?

Yes I do. I'm higher on him than most but paired with Strome as his C on a top line I do think that's achievable in his peak season.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Yes I do. I'm higher on him than most but paired with Strome as his C on a top line I do think that's achievable in his peak season.

Okay, I like the idea of those 2 paired together, now what about a rw to complete the line? Does anyone see a fit in our existing depth chart or is that a future need? I've been playing with future line combos and am curious what the rest of you think. Maybe a new thread idea. Who centres Domi/Duclair?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Okay, I like the idea of those 2 paired together, now what about a rw to complete the line? Does anyone see a fit in our existing depth chart or is that a future need? I've been playing with future line combos and am curious what the rest of you think. Maybe a new thread idea. Who centres Domi/Duclair?

Fischer or Merkley. Long-term

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

I think Dvorak will eventually center Domi and Fischer...and the RW to play with Crouse and Strome will be Duclair. What a combination of size, speed, skill, tenacity, and hockey sense...I think that line would be amazing.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
So basically once Hanzal and Vrbata are eventually gone, which I think is only a matter of time and could come as soon as next year, we'll be looking at something along the lines of...

Crouse - Strome - Duclair
Domi - Dvorak - Fischer
McGinn - Dauphin/MacInnis - Rieder
Nook - Richardson - White

With having to make room for Keller eventually as well, I just don't see where guys like Perlini and Merkley are going to fit...making them the most likely trade bait candidates in my opinion. There's just not room for all of them...

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The shift by shift video I found of crouse had him playing the right side almost all game. Unless that was super rare he could play the right too.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
So basically once Hanzal and Vrbata are eventually gone, which I think is only a matter of time and could come as soon as next year, we'll be looking at something along the lines of...

Domi - Dvorak - Fischer

With having to make room for Keller eventually as well, I just don't see where guys like Perlini and Merkley are going to fit...making them the most likely trade bait candidates in my opinion. There's just not room for all of them...

Holly wishful thinking batman:) I hope you are correct but I doubt all of the youth will work out this way, some will fail (Runblad/Gormley). Our forward group has plenty of moving parts and pieces to put together a solid group up front.

My bigger concern is the back end. We should be thinking about moving some youth/picks to land a long term solution for our 1RHD. All of the young guys have higher value because of their high potential. A season from now, some of that value will start fading, so trade values might be higher today than next year. With the cap, expansion next year, and all our young assets, now might be a time we can make a good deal without giving up too much. I would feel better about our long term cup chances with a Trouba/Shatty type of RHD knowing we have enough pieces to fill in up front.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
This is exactly the kind of prospect you would expect to pick up when taking a dead contract.
It makes up for the horrible datsyuk deal where the Yotes could have gotten so much more.
At least the geek is not a laughing stock in the NHL anymore.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Holly wishful thinking batman:) I hope you are correct but I doubt all of the youth will work out this way, some will fail (Runblad/Gormley). Our forward group has plenty of moving parts and pieces to put together a solid group up front.

My bigger concern is the back end. We should be thinking about moving some youth/picks to land a long term solution for our 1RHD. All of the young guys have higher value because of their high potential. A season from now, some of that value will start fading, so trade values might be higher today than next year. With the cap, expansion next year, and all our young assets, now might be a time we can make a good deal without giving up too much. I would feel better about our long term cup chances with a Trouba/Shatty type of RHD knowing we have enough pieces to fill in up front.

Yeah the 1RHD situation definitely needs to be addressed, and I'm sure it will be fairly soon. But as far as the youth, maybe that projected lineup is a tad too optimistic...but I wouldn't count on any of Strome, Dvorak, Crouse, Fischer being busts. I think all of those guys are going to be in our top 6 for quite some time as long as they stay on track. The good thing about a lot of our top prospects is that they're not just skilled, they have the right attitude and work ethic to be successful long term :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is exactly the kind of prospect you would expect to pick up when taking a dead contract.
It makes up for the horrible datsyuk deal where the Yotes could have gotten so much more.

That may be your opinion, but the Coyote management had Chychrun rated very high on their draft list and were considering taking him at #7.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I agree when you look at the deal by just draft spots, trading from 20 to 16 isn't great. The fact that it was Chychrun, who was rated at lowest top 3 a year earlier, makes it a good deal imo. Also you have to factor in dats contract only counts for this season, bolland is on the hook for 2 years after this.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Bolland is also owed actual money. Datsyuk is just cap space, whereas Bolland will cost at least 3.3 million real dollars, and potentially more if he gets healthy.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's all irrelevant anyway as the entire point was built around Chayka being a laughing stock; which is well, laughable.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's all irrelevant anyway as the entire point was built around Chayka being a laughing stock; which is well, laughable.

At the time of his promotion I think most around here were very concerned. DT said he is a very smart individual and Drummond was heaping praise on Chayka like no tomorrow.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
At the time of his promotion I think most around here were very concerned. DT said he is a very smart individual and Drummond was heaping praise on Chayka like no tomorrow.

That's not the context. azcanuck was comparing and contrasting the Datsyuk and Bolland moves implying that the FO and Chayka were laughing stocks post Datsyuk deal and have been subsequently redeemed due to this one. It's pretty silly.

The Goligoski deal quickly dispensed any kid vs the old boys club concerns anyone without an axe to grind would have had.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Seeing Ken Campbell pout over this deal makes it even sweeter (check his Twitter/replies). I hope when we win the Cup, Chayka takes a trip to Toronto and puts it on Campbell's desk.

Yeah, they might. Although losing an accomplished veteran in Dave Bolland is going to hurt.

What are you even talking about Ken.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Domi - Dvorak - Fischer

I think we'll lose either McGinn or Richardson to Vegas.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
With only $39m in committed salaries for 17-18, lowest in the NHL, the Coyotes could take on a Bishop or MAF-type contract. But ideally another step forward from Louie and there won't be a pressing need to do so.

Coyotes have a real good group of young prospects.

They've done nothing good with their previous batch of good prospects. (turris, Boedker etc).

YOtes have the lowest payroll and a build in "rebuilding" excuse. This ownership group has a lot to prove in terms of developing prospects and putting some real money towards building a winner.

We are a long way from being a winner but only time will tell with a new arena and possibly better revenue. It could be exciting watching all these guys develop together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad