Confirmed with Link: Lawson Crouse and Dave Bolland for 2nd and 3rd picks

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I would love to hear of team and 2nd line C that you think would be given up for Reider and a prospect?? That would be a team giving up a 2nd line C for a couple of 2nd or 3rd line wingers.

I don't follow other teams enough to provide suggestions since it wouldn't be an easy deal to negotiate. I would say that an offensive team might be willing to move a vet (27+ year old) with 2-3 seasons remaining for Rieder (23) and Perlini (20) who have plenty of years ahead of them. Rieder is a good Defensive forward and Perlini could turn out to be a pretty solid player.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Man, Crouse's value has tanked around these parts in the last few days. You'd think some teams are jealous of the Yotes :sarcasm:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Going back in time and showing the board the future (without context) would be absolutely hysterical:

0LwD1As.png

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Man, Crouse's value has tanked around these parts in the last few days. You'd think some teams are jealous of the Yotes :sarcasm:

He was called a bust by about nine different posters on the main thread. He turned eighteen two months ago. 14 months ago he was the 11th overall pick in the draft and not one scout Bob McKenzie polled had him lower than 10th overall, with one having him 5th overall. Since then, he's played one season in which he improved both offensively and defensively and took on a larger leadership role on a now Sam Bennettless team in Kingston. But he's a bust.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He was called a bust by about nine different posters on the main thread. He turned eighteen two months ago. 14 months ago he was the 11th overall pick in the draft and not one scout Bob McKenzie polled had him lower than 10th overall, with one having him 5th overall. Since then, he's played one season in which he improved both offensively and defensively and took on a larger leadership role on a now Sam Bennettless team in Kingston. But he's a bust.
Probably similar to how domi was a puck hog who got carried by reinhart, dvorak is carried by marner, strome just sucks, duke was also carried by reinhart, :sarcasm:. Lots of haterade flowing, but overall the trade thread is mostly just props to chayka and saying how stacked our forward prospect pool is.

Last edited:

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
I didn't mention fighting. I wanted toughness which Fischer and Crouse bring.

Exactly. Toughness is not about fighting and Crouse and Fischerwill both add a lot of much needed toughness to our lineup in the near future.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Exactly. Toughness is not about fighting and Crouse and Fischerwill both add a lot of much needed toughness to our lineup in the near future.

Fighting is getting less and less anyway. I want guys that will get physical with the other team's stars when they go after ours. We have several guys in the system that can do that now. Just need to get them on the roster and in the lineup.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
I don't think a signed Rieder gets you a second round pick. A holdout with 58 points over two seasons isn't going to bring back much.

I'm sorry but you are completely off on this one. Rieder is worth much then a 2nd round pick. People really need to stop camparing players value based on points. Although that method seems to be the number one way hf boards tends to rate players, nhl teams looking to make deals to improve their team look at a player as a whole. NHL teams watch live games and film to determine players value. The hold out definitely changes some perspective but let's see how things play out before jumping into conclusions. Rieder may not be that all star too line forward but he is tremendously valuable to our team or another team for that matter.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm sorry but you are completely off on this one. Rieder is worth much then a 2nd round pick. People really need to stop camparing players value based on points. Although that method seems to be the number one way hf boards tends to rate players, nhl teams looking to make deals to improve their team look at a player as a whole. NHL teams watch live games and film to determine players value. The hold out definitely changes some perspective but let's see how things play out before jumping into conclusions. Rieder may not be that all star too line forward but he is tremendously valuable to our team or another team for that matter.

Yup, points and draft position.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not trying to be funny... But what's so great about trouba? All I know of him is he didn't last long on my fantasy team. Is he just that good a shutdown?

IMO, he's very capable of handling top pairing minutes and he would significantly bolster our right side, even if a potential deal involves Stone. That still leaves Trouba and Murphy taking ~50 minutes on the right, with your choice of Schenn, Michalek, or maybe DeAngelo filling out the rest.

Obviously Connor Murphy has shown he can hold down the 1RD slot, and he has nice chemistry with OEL, but I think that's more of a nice stopgap than a full-time solution.

As far as Trouba, there's a lot to like. Size, nastiness, shutdown ability, strong skater, great shot, and IMO a fair amount of offensive potential he has yet to reach.

Strome + Crouse could really play havoc on another teams defense.

Funny you should mention this. Following the trade, the two were on a line together at the BioSteel camp this week.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
Yup, points and draft position.

So true. If Rieder was a top 15 pick and had the same exact season or even a worse one, posters on here would be asking the moon in return for Rieder. Dvorak is a perfect example of that. If he was a top 5 pick the. He would have been a top 3 prospect to almost everyone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So true. If Rieder was a top 15 pick and had the same exact season or even a worse one, posters on here would be asking the moon in return for Rieder. Dvorak is a perfect example of that. If he was a top 5 pick the. He would have been a top 3 prospect to almost everyone.

DT said he doesn't care where or what year the player was drafted, it is what they do on the ice. A good example was Gormley. Posters wanted the Yotes to play him, and the team didn't for various reasons.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
IMO, he's very capable of handling top pairing minutes and he would significantly bolster our right side, even if a potential deal involves Stone. That still leaves Trouba and Murphy taking ~50 minutes on the right, with your choice of Schenn, Michalek, or maybe DeAngelo filling out the rest.

Obviously Connor Murphy has shown he can hold down the 1RD slot, and he has nice chemistry with OEL, but I think that's more of a nice stopgap than a full-time solution.

As far as Trouba, there's a lot to like. Size, nastiness, shutdown ability, strong skater, great shot, and IMO a fair amount of offensive potential he has yet to reach.

Funny you should mention this. Following the trade, the two were on a line together at the BioSteel camp this week.

Can you give me some info on this BioSteel camp? I have not heard of it until this week.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Do you believe Rieder has top line potential? That's what many expect a top 15 pick to grow into or 2nd line. Rieder is a nice 3rd liner who can play 2nd line when needed on a short term basis. Every team has one or two of him. His points total looked better last year as he was getting time he probably won't be getting going forward. Apparently the Coyotes also agree as they won't give him the contract he desires. Could he become more? Of course but it's more likely he doesn't.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

Over the last 10 seasons, 39 wings have scored between 30 and 40 points in their first or second seasons (three of them did it twice). Some of those players (Blake Wheeler, Phil Kessel, James Neal) blossomed into first line players. More of those players (Steve Bernier, Magnus Paajarvi, Colby Armstrong) remained bottom six players.

Few of these players were traded as early as we're proposing Rieder would be, but some comparables:

Peter Mueller (traded at age 21 with Kevin Porter for Wojtech Wolski)
Magnus Paajarvi (traded at age 22 with a 2nd rounder for David Perron)
James Van Riemsdyk (traded at age 23 for Luke Schenn)
TJ Galiardi (traded at age 23 with Daniel Winnik and a 7th rounder for Jamie McGinn, Michael Connolly and Michael Sgarbossa)
Steve Bernier (traded at age 22 with a 1st rounder for Brian Campbell and a 7th rounder, then traded at age 23 for a 2nd and a 3rd)

Every case is unique, of course, but the that Rieder lacks size or a first-round pedigree and is holding out all work against his trade value. He's a fine player and has a place on this team in the short term, but every team has at least one or two guys of his ilk, and I don't see much of a bidding war for him. Defensively responsible players capable of scoring 30-40 points are not typically hard to come by.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sucks that neither hockey reference nor NHL.com are able to pull data from multiple tables. I want a list of players who put up >40pts and >2minSHTIOG - which I think is a reasonable projection for Rieder. I suspect top PK+40ish pts guys are fairly rare. Especially excluding star players. So maybe 40-60pts range to eliminate those guys (Kopitar, etc). It'd be easy enough to pull both, and dump them into a data sheet and highlight duplicates but not on an iPhone. Haha.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

He's always been a divisive prospect. I can't find my rankings from last year, but I think I had him in the 15-20 range. Others had him top 5. He was probably the most polarizing player of his class.

He showed improvement at both ends, but I think he's still in that 15-20 range from the 2015 crop. Players of his ilk tend to be overvalued on draft day, so I think the top 10 talk (or even 11, where he went) was too much, but I also don't think he's Tyler Biggs or Tom Wilson. His production projects him as a third or probably fourth liner, but there were some extenuating circumstances (namely a dearth of offensive talent to play with) that make me a little more optimistic that he could exceed that. He produced noticeably better during the stretch he played with Sam Bennett and Spencer Watson.

In short, he'll never be a player who can carry a line, but he's a physical difference-maker with enough skill that he won't weigh down a second line. With the abundance of undersized forwards in the pipeline, he's a very good fit for this team.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Sucks that neither hockey reference nor NHL.com are able to pull data from multiple tables. I want a list of players who put up >40pts and >2minSHTIOG - which I think is a reasonable projection for Rieder. I suspect top PK+40ish pts guys are fairly rare. Especially excluding star players. So maybe 40-60pts range to eliminate those guys (Kopitar, etc). It'd be easy enough to pull both, and dump them into a data sheet and highlight duplicates but not on an iPhone. Haha.

While I agree Rieder has above average defensive ability, it's worth noting here that the Coyotes were 28th in the league in penalty killing last year. They've let up the most powerplay goals each of the last two seasons. On a good or even mediocre team, Rieder's penalty killing role is diminished. He was on the Coyotes 2nd unit for most of the year, and I suspect he'd be on the 3rd for most teams. I know Tippett has compared him to Jere Lehtinen, but he's got a ways to go before he's on that level.

rt

May 13, 2004
Just as I'm projecting 40ish points I'm also projecting top 4 fwd mins on the PK. Maybe 2+ was overly optimistic. >40pts + <60pts + >90secs SHTOI/G is probably more like it.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He produced noticeably better during the stretch he played with Sam Bennett and Spencer Watson.

As well, he was one of Canada's best players at last year's WJC. Now, that wasn't a great team, particularly compared to past Canadian rosters, but I think Crouse was probably Canada's third best player or so after Strome and Konecny (he had a good tournament if memory serves).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad