Recalled/Assigned: Lawrence Pilut emergency recall (3/24/19)

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018
Don't bet on it. If he does it will be for a cup of coffee. Both Beaulieu and Nelson are ahead of him along with Scandella. Only way Pilut gets in there is another injury.(Or if we go on a losing streak)
The season is incredibly long.

Do you guys have short term memory or something? Look how much injuries are plaguing teams around the league this season, Bogosian is a walking health risk, we're in November.

Pilut is eventually going to get NHL minutes, there's no need to be up in arms like some posters are. Just be patient. Didn't impatience put us in this position in the first place?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Do you guys have short term memory or something? Look how much injuries are plaguing teams around the league this season, Bogosian is a walking health risk, we're in November.

Pilut is eventually going to get NHL minutes, there's no need to be up in arms like some posters are. Just be patient. Didn't impatience put us in this position in the first place?

No, it was inept management...impatience then came after that. :laugh:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

Yes, eventually. This year? Maybe not. I am not talking about a game or two. I mean as a regular.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
what would people think if Pilut is traded for a trade deadline rental. I would not do that, unless it was to guarantee a SCF appearance or as part of a package for a long-term roster player

Prospects are the ones often traded for rentals. We're number 1 in the NHL now. It may be time to stop thinking of us as fighting for a wild card and accepting we may actually be contenders

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
what would people think if Pilut is traded for a trade deadline rental. I would not do that, unless it was to guarantee a SCF appearance or as part of a package for a long-term roster player

Prospects are the ones often traded for rentals. We're number 1 in the NHL now. It may be time to stop thinking of us as fighting for a wild card and accepting we may actually be contenders
He was way better than Dahlin last season. Looked good during preseason. Has performed really well in the AHL.
Probably our second best LHD next year after Dahlin. Could be this year if he ever gets to play.
What could we possibly trade him for to improve the team? Since he’s not proven in the NHL yet we won’t get anything close to his capability or potential.

Reactions: Kyndig

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Trading Pilut at this point is unlikely to make any sense.

He hasn't played an NHL game yet, so his trade value is unlikely to really move the needle.

His upside and play at the AHL level has been such that I would much rather be patient and see what the Sabres have in him at the NHL level before selling him too early and before his trade value is anywhere near maxed out.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

It would be a crappy thing to do to a free agent who chose to sign here. Plus it would never happen, and the return would be for less than what he's worth to us.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I really think he's going to come here and be a Top 4 guy right away. He's literally tailor made for this system, and gives another true "puck mover" to add to Dahlin. While we have a few 2-Way defenders, the remainder of the d-core are not the greatest puck movers/passers.

Looking forward to our defense in the future:

Dahlin Bogo
Pilut Risto
Guhle McCabe
Beaulieu

I think we'll be able to trade Scandella after the season, to truly make room for Pilut and Guhle. I know people are down on Guhle, but he's generally been a very good player in the NHL. I'd like to see both he and Pilut up here at some point this year.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I really think he's going to come here and be a Top 4 guy right away. He's literally tailor made for this system, and gives another true "puck mover" to add to Dahlin. While we have a few 2-Way defenders, the remainder of the d-core are not the greatest puck movers/passers.

Looking forward to our defense in the future:

Dahlin Bogo
Pilut Risto
Guhle McCabe
Beaulieu

I think we'll be able to trade Scandella after the season, to truly make room for Pilut and Guhle. I know people are down on Guhle, but he's generally been a very good player in the NHL. I'd like to see both he and Pilut up here at some point this year.

I’d rather keep Scandella and let Guhle prove he is ready. For next year they can afford a 4 million dollar 6-7 spot guy, assuming Guhle is really ready.

You can never have too many competent defenders.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I love Pilut as much as the next guy, but I'm a big believer in rolling with the team that got you here for now. We've won ten straight with the same 25 guys and only a little positional rotation happening (Elie in occasionally, Beaulieu and Nelson rotating as necessary when everyone else is healthy). We're sitting #1 in the league with more points than anyone *and* no games in hand nonsense with our nearest competition *and* it's nearly December. I don't want to mess with that unless it's absolutely necessary (ie - we've only got 5 healthy defensemen available) and if that means Pilut gets practice/pressbox experience for now, then that's what it means. Beaulieu had a huge goal for us last night on a great play and Nelson kicked in an assist as well. The guys in the lineup are getting it done.

As soon as the streak is over, totally down with getting him some game experience and seeing what we've got. Get him into as many games as possible, I'm very excited to see him. But not while the current team is riding a major hot streak.

You never walk away from the table when you're on a heater.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I love Pilut as much as the next guy, but I'm a big believer in rolling with the team that got you here for now. We've won ten straight with the same 25 guys and only a little positional rotation happening (Elie in occasionally, Beaulieu and Nelson rotating as necessary when everyone else is healthy). We're sitting #1 in the league with more points than anyone *and* no games in hand nonsense with our nearest competition *and* it's nearly December. I don't want to mess with that unless it's absolutely necessary (ie - we've only got 5 healthy defensemen available) and if that means Pilut gets practice/pressbox experience for now, then that's what it means. Beaulieu had a huge goal for us last night on a great play and Nelson kicked in an assist as well. The guys in the lineup are getting it done.

As soon as the streak is over, totally down with getting him some game experience and seeing what we've got. Get him into as many games as possible, I'm very excited to see him. But not while the current team is riding a major hot streak.

You never walk away from the table when you're on a heater.
Would it be fair to say you support keeping the team on autopilut?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

SUNRISE, Fla. — When Rasmus Dahlin made his NHL debut in October, a full building in Buffalo and a good portion of the hockey world were watching.

The Sabres had another Swedish defense prospect play for the first time Friday. There were maybe 9,500 people in the arena. Only a fraction of those even knew Lawrence Pilut was debuting.

Despite the disparity in audiences, Buffalo is expecting big things from both of them. Pilut showed why.

The defenseman held his own during a 3-2 overtime loss to Florida. He was active defensively and showed his much-lauded offensive instincts. He was feisty despite a modest 5-foot-11, 180-pound frame. He made a few mistakes, but none cost the Sabres.

“It was an OK debut, I would say,” Pilut said.

His coach went a step further.

“I really liked Lawrence stepping in in this situation,” Phil Housley said. “He handled himself really well.”

It was obvious Pilut had played professionally before skating on the Panthers’ ice. While Dahlin is an 18-year-old wunderkind drafted first overall, Pilut turns 23 at the end of December and signed as a free agent after five seasons in the Swedish Hockey League.

“The experience I’ve had over in Sweden helps me out a lot,” Pilut said. “I’m ready for it.”

Here’s a shift-by-shift look at Pilut’s first NHL game, which won’t be his last.

Jagemon

Sep 27, 2005
I really dont think he coughed up the puck but just passed bit too ahead of his teammate, maybe it was Sobotka(?). This can be seen from the highlights.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
I was shocked by this long list of injuries to Bogosian...: https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player-bio/zach-bogosian/bio
giphy.gif

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
he's only been our best defenseman

why were we saddled with Nelson when anyone with a clue knew this would happen?

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
he's only been our best defenseman

why were we saddled with Nelson when anyone with a clue knew this would happen?
Because Nelson plays the right side and Pilut the left, also Pilut needed to get acclimated to NA ice.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Because Nelson plays the right side and Pilut the left, also Pilut needed to get acclimated to NA ice.

Also Nelson receives an undeserved amount of hate around here. Personally, I think he's been better than Bogo in many games - and maybe Scandella. Hot take.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Enjoyed watching Pilut last night in loss at NSH. Will watch more FLA and NSH on DVR. Initial impressions:

1. comfortable with tight space / short time situations.
2. appeared to be a comparatively slow skater, but I don't know if that was a consequence of the situation or at the end of a long shift. And OTOH, I saw him get back adequately after a deep o-zone rush.
3. didn't look out of place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad