Recalled/Assigned: Lawrence Pilut emergency recall (3/24/19)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I like it!

Really liking the way our D is shaping up. Especially with Borgen and Guhle still down on the farm.

It’s pretty crazy how we went from a long term dumpster fire, to a year or so of development away from one of the top units in the league.

Winning the Dahlin lottery, crazy lucky, 1/3 ain’t bad. Sweet Christ how would this season be with no Dahlin and Svechnikov chipping in a couple goals instead of Thompson?

And then the second biggest miracle, Bogo being healthy for 20 games in a row. And he has played to the best of his abilities.

Everyone needs some luck to succeed, and right now, Dahlin is the difference between another miserable season and hope for a decade of fun.

Next year, you clean up some money and you could have,

McCabe Dahlin
Pilut Risto
Bogo Scandella

Guhle, Borgen, Bryson, Samuelson, etc.

Keep long term Dahlin, Risto, Pilut, McCabe and then rotate cheap guys around them.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
It’s pretty crazy how we went from a long term dumpster fire, to a year or so of development away from one of the top units in the league.

Winning the Dahlin lottery, crazy lucky, 1/3 ain’t bad. Sweet Christ how would this season be with no Dahlin and Svechnikov chipping in a couple goals instead of Thompson?

And then the second biggest miracle, Bogo being healthy for 20 games in a row. And he has played to the best of his abilities.

Everyone needs some luck to succeed, and right now, Dahlin is the difference between another miserable season and hope for a decade of fun.

Next year, you clean up some money and you could have,

McCabe Dahlin
Pilut Risto
Bogo Scandella

Guhle, Borgen, Bryson, Samuelson, etc.

Keep long term Dahlin, Risto, Pilut, McCabe and then rotate cheap guys around them.

Laaksonen has me excited for the WJC

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
There are a bunch of teams in the NHL who are looking for D...Dallas being one of them. So you guys can easily just trade Hunwick for a pick or prospect...
$2.25m for another year after this one...I don't think that's as easy a trade as you're making it out to be.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I can't see us waiving Beaulieu at this point, he's actually performing very well for us IMO. His spot seems safe for the duration. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hunwick waived to Rochester when he's healthy. I'd actually be far more surprised to NOT see that happen.
If Hunwick gets sent to Roch on a conditioning stint does that count against the 23-man limit

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
There are a bunch of teams in the NHL who are looking for D...Dallas being one of them. So you guys can easily just trade Hunwick for a pick or prospect...

Isn't there some restriction built into the terms of the Sheary/Hunwick deal that pertains to when Hunwick can be traded? I think it effects the conditional 4th. So does Sheary scoring 20 goals. I tried looking but could not find details

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Isn't there some restriction built into the terms of the Sheary/Hunwick deal that pertains to when Hunwick can be traded? I think it effects the conditional 4th. So does Sheary scoring 20 goals. I tried looking but could not find details
"The fourth-round pick becomes a third-round pick if Sheary records 20 goals or 40 points, or if Buffalo trades Hunwick prior to the 2019 NHL Draft, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger."

Sabres acquire Penguins' Conor Sheary and Matt Hunwick

Reactions: Dex

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
"The fourth-round pick becomes a third-round pick if Sheary records 20 goals or 40 points, or if Buffalo trades Hunwick prior to the 2019 NHL Draft, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger."

Sabres acquire Penguins' Conor Sheary and Matt Hunwick

It still kid of unexplained as to why Pittsburgh would need compensation for us moving him. Like what was the deal there? Listen Botts we can’t get anyone to take this guy, he really sucks. But here’s the deal, it’ll make me look bad in front of my boys on the Southside if you turn out to be able to trade him. I can’t have that, ya know. So here’s the deal, you gotta give me a lil kickback if you gmfind a schmuck willing to give you anything, and since I’m putting the screws to ya, whatever deal you can make better be worth more than the difference between a 3rd and a 4th. Capiche?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I can’t in any way support a situation where any of the following players get a spot in our top 6 and Pilut goes back:

Scandella
Beaulieu
Nelson

He’s better than these players. And I only think Scandella has actually been “bad” out of the three.

But my point is he’s better than these players.

Don’t even bother bringing up Hunwick. That’s a laugh.

If teams are desperate for D someone will take Scandella.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
It’s pretty easy to tell that he’s got NHL top 4 written all over him. Not even a doubt in my mind he’s a legit NHL defender.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I know I’ve been saying this all year but I have thought he was in the wrong league halfway through the Amerks opener. He’s the real deal. Love that our scouts were on him so early and that they sealed the deal after he broke out in Sweden. This player is going to matter here. And you got him for free because people in the organization were good at their jobs.

Reactions: toomuchsauce

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I hope he is here to stay as well. I get Scandella being over him, but Nelson and beaulieu.

Dahlin
Risto
Scandella
Bogosian
McCabe
Pilut.

That has to be the starting six...

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Scandella is in an interesting spot where he’s been both our worst defenseman this season and has still probably has more value than Beaulieu and Nelson to some of the old school GMs.

Moving him is a nobrainer if there’s a taker.

Reactions: toomuchsauce

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Scandella was also much better the few games before his current absence. He is a good bottom four guy, can we not write him off after a bad 15 games? Like everyone tried to do with risto...

If people had their way McCabe and Bogosian would have been long gone before this season, and risto and Scandella would be gone this season. It’s crazy!

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Scandella was also much better the few games before his current absence. He is a good bottom four guy, can we not write him off after a bad 15 games? Like everyone tried to do with risto...

If people had their way McCabe and Bogosian would have been long gone before this season, and risto and Scandella would be gone this season. It’s crazy!

How about we take him for what he is...a bottom pair defenseman who isn’t as good as the 22 year old rookie who should play in his place?

Those games you think he played better in he was on the third pair. He makes too much and does too little to keep better players down.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
How about we take him for what he is...a bottom pair defenseman who isn’t as good as the 22 year old rookie who should play in his place?

Those games you think he played better in he was on the third pair. He makes too much and does too little to keep better players down.

I sorta agree with that. He may be turning into a 3rd pairing guy, but until others show they are better he should stay. Good problem we are starting to have though

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I’ve been done with Bogo for two full seasons now. No matter how well he looks in this snapshot in time. I just want to move on from him. Addition by subtraction is the way I’ve seen it for quite some time now.
I don't know what the excel numbers look like with him this season, but I have actually liked what I've seen from him. If he can stay healthy he's a really nice player to have. Sure he has brain farts every once in a while, but the rest of his game has been good.

I know I know, there's always the chance that he'll be on the injury report ... that's the tough thing with him.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Was at the Toronto game as saw what looked to be the butt of a stick in Nelson’s ribs. Is that how he got hurt? Imagine he’s got some bruised ribs if that’s the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad