Recalled/Assigned: Laughton returned to Phantoms

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Im cool with it, dont need to rush the guy. looking forward to seeing how he responds with the phantoms.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I think this shows something about Hexy. He obviously cannot really tell Berube how to run his team. Hexy's position is to give CB the pieces to work with and CB is in the position to do as he pleases with those pieces. That being said Hexy had to have noticed Laughton's decrease in ice time and garbage line mates so yanked him from CB and put him in a more suitable position.

I'd perfer Laughton playing 14-16 mins in the NHL with top 9 players as his wingers, but clearly that was not in CB's plans and we can see his inability as a coach to put together 3 quality lines. Its not that hard.

Apparently with the Flyers it is that hard... Lavy had trouble with it and IIRC Hitch before him... although I'm not all that certain on Hitch... but Lavy fumbled as much as Chief.

... Maybe it's the water. ;)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
With Downie though I never could get any good feelings... nor did I have any hope... I never wanted him here, even though I did recognize the somewhat great skill level he possessed... I never believed that he could or would straighten up his act... I still believe he never will and was shocked the Flyers brought him back for another try.

I don't think bringing Downie back was about giving Downie another try, it was about losing Max Talbot's contract and getting a low-risk/high-reward in return.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Zac the turd and White both in the lineup would be dumb as ****.
oh wait, its Berube. carry on.

I personally would rather have a true heavyweight enforcer and one energy -- preferably one with a level head -- than dress both Rinaldo and White... which would be like placing two Goalies between the pipes and going with four skaters at even strength... Redundancy personified.

That said... no I'm not calling for a heavyweight enforce... I doubt Rinaldo dresses again unless pushed with an injury at forward on the road with no time for a call up to make the game.

((((With that, watch Berube dress Zack after this game when he is again allowed to play. ;) ))))

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I don't think bringing Downie back was about giving Downie another try, it was about losing Max Talbot's contract and getting a low-risk/high-reward in return.

IIRC Downie was no Cap saving but was at the end of his contract... If it was done under Hexy's watch I could buy into that more easily, but Homer was still GM and that was not his MO. IIRC there was hope of returning Downie at a lower Cap Hit but he could not be fit in at what he demanded.

For some odd reason they like Downie... Otherwise giving up Max for nothing was even more senseless... The Flyers seem to not mind giving up quality players for high energy bad-boys, and people assume that it is a Cap Dump... Me?... I personal believe they get off with those little hardnosed numbskulls. Homer though Downie could help and for some reason beyond his Cap Hit they soured badly on Talbot... IMO.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Rinaldo was playing better than people give him credit for until he lost it and got suspended. His problem is he's develop zero offensive skills, at some point you have to be somewhat functional, VV being a good example. I don't see a lot more with White, except he has a modicum of offensive skills, rather than zilch.

Laughton is better off in the AHL right now, Simmonds - Couts - Read are starting to click, and could provide a solid second line, with Raffl out there's no one to put with Laughton, and when Raffl returns, does he go back with V & G and Schenn to the third line? I'm starting to think one possible trade will be Schenn for a true winger, but they're still going to need another winger - and having Laughton play with guys like Leier and Straka isn't a bad idea right now, since they may be his winger next year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The year was coming off his ELC no matter what. They only slide for players under 20.

this was done to make room for Zac attack

you know its true..

he'll be back in lineup as soon as hes suspension up

Raffl will be back in tomorrow.

On Tuesday for Rinaldo to play White would have to be benched.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Rinaldo like Carcillo before him can cause a love/hate situation with you... I know that I personally at times had hope for each when they kept their noses clean and showed what they could do with their limited talent and intense desire... BUT... I hated when their bonehead side came to the surface and they hurt the team -- like CarBomb fighting when up three or so goals and seemingly in control of an important Home Playoff Game with the Penguins... or either making dumb illegal hits -- I then wanted no part of them... I at times fluctuated between liking them and hating them... eventually though I lost all hope for them and I believe that the Flyers management went with similar emotions/hopes with them.

With Downie though I never could get any good feelings... nor did I have any hope... I never wanted him here, even though I did recognize the somewhat great skill level he possessed... I never believed that he could or would straighten up his act... I still believe he never will and was shocked the Flyers brought him back for another try.

It's easier to work with those two since they have/had skill. Rinaldo doesn't making it puzzling why he's still in the NHL.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Laughton hasn't looked good, and with the Lecavalier line playing better it's better for Laughton to be down getting 20 minutes a night with the Phantoms.

I'm guessing Raffl is back tomorrow?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This could be seen as a sign that Hextall knows the season is over and will hopefully be a seller at the deadline.

Yup.

This is a decision that has the LONG TERM NEEDS as the focus.

Hextall wants him to get more minutes playing in all situations....as he should.

And who knows, he could be back in 2 weeks depending if we move anyone.

I actually don't mind this move.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Fine with this, Berube has been playing him 7-9 mins a night recently so Vinny can get 14... though really Laughton should be getting 14 and Vinny should be scratched.

He has shown he can play in the NHL easily, and when he had decent linemates and PP2 time was producing.

Hope the Phantoms can make the playoffs, with a full team they could make a run.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Tim reporting that Raffl will be back tomorrow. Why are we talking about Zac? Tim also saying Schenn is gonna be back at center flanked by White and RJ. I feel so bad for this guy. They need to just pick center or wing and leave him there. He's been doing fine on wing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tim reporting that Raffl will be back tomorrow. Why are we talking about Zac? Tim also saying Schenn is gonna be back at center flanked by White and RJ. I feel so bad for this guy. They need to just pick center or wing and leave him there. He's been doing fine on wing.

This is time for evaluation. Nothing wrong with proving your versatility.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

No idea why they are not going with:

Raffl -- Giroux -- Voracek
Schenn -- Couturier -- Simmonds
Umberger -- Bellemare -- Read
VandeVelde -- White -- Lecavalier

Or something like that. That 2nd line has been great in the limited opportunities together. Couturier and Schenn play well together, Couturier and Simmonds play well together.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

Or something like that. That 2nd line has been great in the limited opportunities together. Couturier and Schenn play well together, Couturier and Simmonds play well together.

You think he would break up his sweethearts ?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Good way to tank his value heading into the offseason at the very least.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

And Schenn and Simmonds played well together with Hartnell last year.

Makes too much sense.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I no longer have the energy to get upset about the line combos. At least ones that don't involve Rinaldo.

This isn't a playoff team so at least mixing up the lines makes things more interesting.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
0vDzT.gif

Schenn's going back to center with White and Umberger on his wings?!?!

Well there you go Beef, a fate even worse than that African bee herding ****.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Schenn with White and Umberger? I see no fit there at all. Schenn isn't very good defensively and the other two are not doing much offensively...
Schenn needs a playmaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad