Recalled/Assigned: Laughton returned to Phantoms

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Read has been playing much better now that he can skate again, and he's always fit well with Couts, Simmonds is the revelation. If these three are meshing, why mess with it?

Schenn started well at wing, then disappeared the last 20 games or so, he's becoming a real question mark.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Read has been playing much better now that he can skate again, and he's always fit well with Couts, Simmonds is the revelation. If these three are meshing, why mess with it?

Schenn started well at wing, then disappeared the last 20 games or so, he's becoming a real question mark.

Schenn is streaky, which isn't really uncommon for a young guy. Before this recent 4 or whatever game hot streak, Schenn had the same number of points as Simmonds. He's still 4th on the team in points among forwards and tied for 3rd in ES point production among forwards. He has been having a rough time recently point totals for the season a side but I don't see how putting him back at center yet again between White and Umberger could possibly help, in any way.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Best part of this is it forces Berube to play Couturier in a more offensive role.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Tim reporting that Raffl will be back tomorrow. Why are we talking about Zac? Tim also saying Schenn is gonna be back at center flanked by White and RJ. I feel so bad for this guy. They need to just pick center or wing and leave him there. He's been doing fine on wing.

Watch out for Berube when he puts Raffl back on the first line and forms a new third line of Schenn - LeCavalier - Umberger. I swear to god I can see that happening.

In his mind, Vinny reawakened PEB and VdV. Then we can call them "The Misfits".

Last edited:

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
I would like to see a 4th line of PEB VDV & White. Too bad they can't fill out the rest of the lines with decent players!

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Sam C. is saying B.Schenn and Raffl could switch leaving 2 fourth lines:

B.Schenn-Giroux-Vorace
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
RJ-Raffl-White
VV-PEB-Lecavalier

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Sam C. is saying B.Schenn and Raffl could switch leaving 2 fourth lines:

B.Schenn-Giroux-Vorace
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
RJ-Raffl-White
VV-PEB-Lecavalier

That is so ugly. Honestly losing Laughton is bigger then I thought I suppose. We have a HORRIBLE bottom six with out him. I think raffl to top line schenn to second and read to 3rd but it's still 2 4th lines. Only close savior is vdv - peb - read

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Scott Hartnell wasn't any more or less consistent than Schenn is right now. The difference is that Hartnell was more noticeable whether it was falling down, taking a penalty, or having the floor with the media after games, and even that said, there was still more than his share of games where Hartnell was still invisible. Brayden Schenn doesn't lay claim to going 39 games without an assist.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
At first I was disgusted when I saw this news. Then I came here and I feel a little bit better. IMO, Laughton was starting to turn it up again, despite the terrible usage by Berube. A few games again he was all over the ice and had 3 quality scoring chances, one which hit the post. That said, Berube will ruin him so going to LV and getting top ice time will help his game coming into next season when we have an actual coach. The guy has the skill, but it takes longer for some prospects to find the confidence to go out there and make plays at the NHL level.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Scott Hartnell wasn't any more or less consistent than Schenn is right now. The difference is that Hartnell was more noticeable whether it was falling down, taking a penalty, or having the floor with the media after games, and even that said, there was still more than his share of games where Hartnell was still invisible. Brayden Schenn doesn't lay claim to going 39 games without an assist.

to summarize hartnell's career by giving out that 39 games without an assist is really doing him an injustice. When you play 1000 games you are bound go have a period of time where you struggle, but not only that most of that streak was during 2 of the flyers worst stretches in about a decade. THe strike shortened year, and the flyers first month the next year.

Schenn has done nothing in his career exCect slow down two of the most talented players in the league and fail to live up to expectations. Until he actually accomplishes something in this league then feel free to compare him to scott hartnell whom im sure jake and giroux would love to have playing with them over brayden.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

I would say that Hartnell was a much better team leader than Schenn is -- this being said from someone who is not in the Room or on the Ice with the Flyers -- I believe he was looked up to by his team-mates and was one of the Captains Group... so that can be something we can put in his column.

As for his being invisible... I found him top disappear often in games and be unnoticeable in many games, except for an occasional stumble to the ice.. and then all of a sudden he'd pot an important goal often at the most opportune time... some of his time with Briere was nothing short of fantastic... and I personally noted that at times every line that Hartnell was on seemed to be the Hot Line... The big scoring Hartnell is indeed a creature of the past, but I believe his play and timely scoring is still largely there... I could see it in that last Flyers game vs. Columbus, but I don't know how much was due to the fact he was playing the Flyers. Hartsy was indeed entertaining here all those Seasons.

Schenn is still a young Hockey player... I believe Hartnell was even younger when he came to the NHL and was a factor on a lesser team and got the time and space to improve faster... Schenn has all the tools and can still end up as a very good to great NHL player for a long time before he hangs up his skates, presumably many Seasons down the line. If he ends up on par with Hartnell I would be happy... if he hits his full potential and surpasses Hartsy, I would be greatly elated.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
At first I was disgusted when I saw this news. Then I came here and I feel a little bit better. IMO, Laughton was starting to turn it up again, despite the terrible usage by Berube. A few games again he was all over the ice and had 3 quality scoring chances, one which hit the post. That said, Berube will ruin him so going to LV and getting top ice time will help his game coming into next season when we have an actual coach. The guy has the skill, but it takes longer for some prospects to find the confidence to go out there and make plays at the NHL level.

Kind of my thought process. Berube obviously won't use him on the PP or the PK for whatever reason, and in our last game he saw under 10 minutes of ice time. That's not good for development.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
So 1,000+ games at 0.572 PPG. I think BSchenn would take that.

sure he would, but that doesn't make him any less a disappointment. whether his hype was fair or not, he has failed tremendously living up to it.

give him time, i got faith he has the ability to do so...

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
to summarize hartnell's career by giving out that 39 games without an assist is really doing him an injustice. When you play 1000 games you are bound go have a period of time where you struggle, but not only that most of that streak was during 2 of the flyers worst stretches in about a decade. THe strike shortened year, and the flyers first month the next year.

Schenn has done nothing in his career exCect slow down two of the most talented players in the league and fail to live up to expectations. Until he actually accomplishes something in this league then feel free to compare him to scott hartnell whom im sure jake and giroux would love to have playing with them over brayden.

Jake was playing better then he's ever played in his life. I doubt Schenn had anything to do with him coming back down to earth and we all know G can struggle from time to time. The last 5-10 games of them two struggling a bit is not on Schenn. :laugh: If it were, it wouldn't say much about them as players now would it.

Also he hasn't lived up to the expectations from the time of his draft/the following year maybe but I think it's time to move on from that, that's almost 5 years ago now. Since entering the league he's steadily improved in terms of production.

The point stands that Schenn, or any young NHLer really, would be lucky to have a career like Hartnell's.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Happy with this decision.

He's still very very young into his NHL career. When we brought him up, he had just been AHL player of the week and was playing with great confidence in the NHL creating a ton of opportunities.

He took an unfortunate head injury and was out for a while. I could see in his first game that he didn't have the same drive he had when he first got called up. Maybe a little bit of timidness, maybe just not back into his game from sitting so long. But either way, he needs to go back and help out the Phantoms for a little bit. Be a first line player again, and then maybe come back up to the Flyers in a few weeks or next season.

No need to rush him to the big show and sending him down shouldn't discourage this player at all.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

I wonder if folks were saying the same thing about Hartnell after 247 career NHL games. first 4 seasons of his career Hartnell had 46 G 78 A
Maybe one day Schenn will be as good as the great Scott Hartnell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad