Recalled/Assigned: Laughton returned to Phantoms

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Hexy sees his idiot coach hates the kid so he is getting him back as an offensive player. watching a 2 nd unit that has been awful all year and never change, Laughton was never gonna get in it, so let him play an offensive role again

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He got called up due to injuries. Not performance.

He showed he could fit into the NHL, but he did that at 18 too. I don't think anyone questions he's an NHLer, but what kind remains to be seen. He just doesn't have the overwhelming skill to impact the game at this time. He needs time to develop and find his game. He needs to be put in a position to where he can succeed- play top minutes, play the PK, play the PP, etc. It took him 4 years of junior to finally become a true impact player. He needs time to adjust to the pro game and the best place right now is Lehigh Valley.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
He got called up due to injuries. Not performance.

He showed he could fit into the NHL, but he did that at 18 too. I don't think anyone questions he's an NHLer, but what kind remains to be seen. He just doesn't have the overwhelming skill to impact the game at this time. He needs time to develop and find his game. He needs to be put in a position to where he can succeed- play top minutes, play the PK, play the PP, etc. It took him 4 years of junior to finally become a true impact player. He needs time to adjust to the pro game and the best place right now is Lehigh Valley.

He 100% could of played PP on the Flyers. He just isn't as good as RJ and Vinny at running a dominant PP unit In the eyes of our coach.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Why? He was getting quality minutes until he got hurt. And White wasn't fitl till January.

because he had a chance to play a full year in a top 6 role getting top unit pp minutes on a team that is young and growing together with a good shot at the playoffs.

Id rather laughton get more minutes in a scoring role than what he was currently getting when he came back form his concussion.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
His minutes have been dropping past few games so Hexy sent him back. Hopefully he gets back into his offensive groove he had with the Phantoms at the start of the season.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
I'm glad, I want all of our prospects away from this coach. He's dead set on ruining couts, let's not have him destroy laughtons offensive potential too.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
It's amazing Rinaldo is still going to have a roster spot on this team. :laugh:

Don't count on it... White still needs a spot when Raffl returns... White has made Rinaldo redundant and therefore a liability with the way he has been playing. White has to make sure he doesn't cause the odd man penalties like he did a few games back... if he can cut them down he gives everything Zack does without the fear and lack of thought play, as I see it.

I think the Flyers have finally given up on Rinaldo and will only keep him up as a depth forward.

... It seems that the Flyers have had a long history of falling in love with the wild-man game of certain players -- like Downie -- they draft ahead of where they should be, or obtained -- like CarBomb -- and then souring on them and shipping them out unceremoniously soon thereafter. Rinaldo is merely the last of a long line... They want a '70s kind of player in a new Millennium NHL; ain't gonna happen. :shakehead

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Well done by Hextall.

Let him play first line minutes in LV. A 1-2 punch of Laughton and Cousins will increase their play-off chances big time. Also, Alt and Ghost will be back soon and stabilize the D.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Don't count on it... White still needs a spot when Raffl returns... White has made Rinaldo redundant and therefore a liability with the way he has been playing. White has to make sure he doesn't cause the odd man penalties like he did a few games back... if he can cut them down he gives everything Zack does without the fear and lack of thought play, as I see it.

I think the Flyers have finally given up on Rinaldo and will only keep him up as a depth forward.

... It seems that the Flyers have had a long history of falling in love with the wild-man game of certain players -- like Downie -- they draft ahead of where they should be, or obtained -- like CarBomb -- and then souring on them and shipping them out unceremoniously soon thereafter. Rinaldo is merely the last of a long line... They want a '70s kind of player in a new Millennium NHL; ain't gonna happen. :shakehead

I for one think guys like White and Rinaldo are important. Now that being said i said guys LIKE, not Rinaldo per say. He takes stupid penalties and brings nothing but energy to the game. White has shown he can bring energy to the game, stand up for his team and really hasnt taken that many stupid penalties. (I dont count holds or trips as stupid, sometimes they are accidental) Boarding and high hits are dumb.

Like you said, if White could keep the dumb penalties out of his game which is mostly showed, he is the kinda guy to have one the 4th line

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I never said anything about him being a regular in the lineup (he was scratched about five games in a row prior to Laughton's injury). The 13th forward spot would still make him apart of the roster which is still too much.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I'm ok with this, I'm just kinda mad that we have guys like Umberger and Vinny on the second PP unit when Laughton was the only shining point in the brief period of time the second unit looked good.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I never said anything about him being a regular in the lineup (he was scratched about five games in a row prior to Laughton's injury). The 13th forward spot would still make him apart of the roster which is still too much.

I thought you were being sarcastic... and I was going along with you while pointing out that Rinaldo may not be the replacement player on the roster... no disrespect was intended.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Good move. We don't need him wasting away on a **** line with White and RJ. I actually thought he played one of his better games last night. He showed some nice flashes. But really that doesn't matter. This will get him better minutes. Hopefully the Phantoms can sneak into the playoffs.

I believe Raffl is the one coming back tomorrow.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Good move. We don't need him wasting away on a **** line with White and RJ. I actually thought he played one of his better games last night. He showed some nice flashes. But really that doesn't matter. This will get him better minutes. Hopefully the Phantoms can sneak into the playoffs.

I think this shows something about Hexy. He obviously cannot really tell Berube how to run his team. Hexy's position is to give CB the pieces to work with and CB is in the position to do as he pleases with those pieces. That being said Hexy had to have noticed Laughton's decrease in ice time and garbage line mates so yanked him from CB and put him in a more suitable position.

I'd perfer Laughton playing 14-16 mins in the NHL with top 9 players as his wingers, but clearly that was not in CB's plans and we can see his inability as a coach to put together 3 quality lines. Its not that hard.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Nah I was being serious & none taken. It amazes me how he's still hanging around. Hopefully that changes next year when there should be more options in the minors.

Rinaldo like Carcillo before him can cause a love/hate situation with you... I know that I personally at times had hope for each when they kept their noses clean and showed what they could do with their limited talent and intense desire... BUT... I hated when their bonehead side came to the surface and they hurt the team -- like CarBomb fighting when up three or so goals and seemingly in control of an important Home Playoff Game with the Penguins... or either making dumb illegal hits -- I then wanted no part of them... I at times fluctuated between liking them and hating them... eventually though I lost all hope for them and I believe that the Flyers management went with similar emotions/hopes with them.

With Downie though I never could get any good feelings... nor did I have any hope... I never wanted him here, even though I did recognize the somewhat great skill level he possessed... I never believed that he could or would straighten up his act... I still believe he never will and was shocked the Flyers brought him back for another try.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Will he be playing for the Phantoms tonight?

Bob Rotruck @BobRotruck · 36m 36 minutes ago

Phantoms are at Wilkes-Barre tonight. Laughton is not here with team yet. Plan is for him to join Phantoms in Springfield for Sunday game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad