Latvia: Latvian prospects

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
In the NHL Central Scouting's final rankings Lipsbergs is #85 between NA skaters (~5th round) and Klavins #63 between Europeans (no real chance to be drafted).

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
In the NHL Central Scouting's final rankings Lipsbergs is #85 between NA skaters (~5th round) and Klavins #63 between Europeans (no real chance to be drafted).

Interesting that Klavins ranks higher than the European based Norwegian and Danish players. In front of Markus Søberg, Mattias Nørstebø and Mads Eller and Mattias Asperup.
He might get lucky with a 7'th round pick? [Who would ever have thought Oliver Lauridsen would be drafted in 2009 - and now he play in NHL]. At least he has OK size....

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Interesting that Klavins ranks higher than the European based Norwegian and Danish players. In front of Markus Søberg, Mattias Nørstebø and Mads Eller and Mattias Asperup.
He might get lucky with a 7'th round pick? [Who would ever have thought Oliver Lauridsen would be drafted in 2009 - and now he play in NHL]. At least he has OK size....

7th round is a crapshoot so yeah, nobody's definitely ruled out if someone for whatever the reason likes you. Pelss wasn't supposed to be drafted either so you never know. But it's extremely unlikely.

And he's probably higher than these fellas because he has size and as an over-ager he's closer to the real deal, that was you're not drafting entirely based on potential. Meanwhile Soberg and the others mentioned are all long-term project type of players.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
IN the WHL playoff the rookie competition between Denmark and Latvia are being pressed by USA:

Oliver Bjørkstrand: 5G 10A in 15 games (Portland)
Seth Jones: 5G 8A in 15 games (Portland)
Edgars Kulda 2G 10A in 14 games (Edmonton).
Elliott Peterson: 5G 2A in 14 games (Calgary)
Roberts Lipsbergs: 3G 4A in 7 games (Seattle).

So far it looks like a final between Portland and Edmonton, where they can meet eye-to-eye!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
7th round is a crapshoot so yeah, nobody's definitely ruled out if someone for whatever the reason likes you. Pelss wasn't supposed to be drafted either so you never know. But it's extremely unlikely.

And he's probably higher than these fellas because he has size and as an over-ager he's closer to the real deal, that was you're not drafting entirely based on potential. Meanwhile Soberg and the others mentioned are all long-term project type of players.

Klavins could be taken for a team that see a possible 4'th line player that could be available within a short time period because he is an overager! As a 7'th pick it's not waste. He has played in SEL already and he has the size and have learned the good swedish defensive play. So there is a chance, but an unlikely one as you say. Depends probably on a scout being asked by the team if they have a personal favourite for the last pick. [Jannik Hansen got picked in the 9'th round in 2004 by Vancouver based on such a scout].

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Haralds Egle was taken 8th overall in the USHL Entry Draft by the Muskegon Lumberjacks.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Good, look forward to see him in USHL and then hopefully he gets drafted.

He's also just committed to play at the University of Vermont. It's up in the air whether he'll go there in the fall of '14 or '15 at this point, so either one or two years in the USHL.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
He's also just committed to play at the University of Vermont. It's up in the air whether he'll go there in the fall of '14 or '15 at this point, so either one or two years in the USHL.

So Egle will be Latvias official apology for them not getting Girgensons,they instead will get another Latvian :laugh:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Btw has anyone heard of this guy Roberts Blugers?
Appearently he plays bantam level hockey (basically the same school system where his brother Teddy played),hes 1998 birth year btw.

latvianhockeyfan

Jan 2, 2010
Our future betweeen 17-20.(only forwards)

Pretty strong in offense, i must say. I hope they do even better)

Klavins (2013/2014- Elitserien)

Pelss(2013-2014- AHL, ECHL- ?)

Zandovskis(NLA, NLB-?)

Hvorostinins(Ukraine or other-?)

Zusevics(EBEL)

Kuzmenkovs(BOL or other league -?)

Girgensons(AHL, NHL-?)

Blugers(NCAA)

Lipsbergs(WHL-?)

Jevpalovs(QMJHL-?)

Kulda(WHL-?)

Jelisejevs(MHL-?)

Bukarts(MHL-?)

Golovkovs(MHL-?)

Egle(USHL-?)

Homjakovs(-?)

Other players- Andersons(NLB, NLA-?), Tambijevs(MHL, VHL?)-, Ozolins(BOL-?), Dasutins(MHL, VHL-?)

There is 20 players, very big number- if you know our past.

Other players-?

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Our future betweeen 17-20.(only forwards)

Pretty strong in offense, i must say. I hope they do even better)

Klavins (2013/2014- Elitserien)

Pelss(2013-2014- AHL, ECHL- ?)

Zandovskis(NLA, NLB-?)

Hvorostinins(Ukraine or other-?)

Zusevics(EBEL)

Kuzmenkovs(BOL or other league -?)

Girgensons(AHL, NHL-?)

Blugers(NCAA)

Lipsbergs(WHL-?)

Jevpalovs(QMJHL-?)

Kulda(WHL-?)

Jelisejevs(MHL-?)

Bukarts(MHL-?)

Golovkovs(MHL-?)

Egle(USHL-?)

Homjakovs(-?)

Other players- Andersons(NLB, NLA-?), Tambijevs(MHL, VHL?)-, Ozolins(BOL-?), Dasutins(MHL, VHL-?)

There is 20 players, very big number- if you know our past.

Other players-?

Other players? You're list is already way too broad :laugh:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
No its not.

It really is. Dasutins? Zandovskis? Andersons? Maybe simply list all HK Riga forwards as well in that case. To put things in perspective - there are players scoring twice as much points in that Swiss U20 league and none of them made Swiss WJC roster.

Yes, all them are prospects as such. But there clearly are at least two tiers of prospects here. Sure fire future NT players like our NA contingent and then there are Hvorostinins who could become a bit better version of Stals. :/

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
It really is. Dasutins? Zandovskis? Andersons? Maybe simply list all HK Riga forwards as well in that case. To put things in perspective - there are players scoring twice as much points in that Swiss U20 league and none of them made Swiss WJC roster.

Yes, all them are prospects as such. But there clearly are at least two tiers of prospects here. Sure fire future NT players like our NA contingent and then there are Hvorostinins who could become a bit better version of Stals. :/

Well dasutins,i think, has KHL top-6 potential and Zandovskis could make it in Swiss league.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Well dasutins,i think, has KHL top-6 potential and Zandovskis could make it in Swiss league.

If Dasutins is a KHL top six material, then Tambijevs is sure NHL player already. That's just an absurd statement.

I hope you are right but even my optimism has boundaries. :laugh:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
If Dasutins is a KHL top six material, then Tambijevs is sure NHL player already. That's just an absurd statement.

I hope you are right but even my optimism has boundaries. :laugh:

He has decent size,not bad stats at MHL level,maybe Znaroks takes a chance on him one day and it works? :)

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
He has decent size,not bad stats at MHL level,maybe Znaroks takes a chance on him one day and it works? :)

There's never middle ground for you. Either our hockey is doomed and broken beyond repair or our prospects are next generation of Gretzky's

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
There's never middle ground for you. Either our hockey is doomed and broken beyond repair or our prospects are next generation of Gretzky's

Wow what hyperbole,i`m sorry that saying dasutins has a KHL top 6 potential has offended you,jeez :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad