Latvia: Latvian prospects

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Lipsbergs with his first poker in WHL (4 goals)

Lipsberg got close indeed to Bjørkstrand's scoring with that bunch.

Rookies in WHL.....point and scoring getting tight again.
Oliver Bjørkstrand: (63P) - 31G 32A in 65 matches.
Roberts Lipsberg: (58P) - 30G 28A in 64 matches.
Leon Draisaitl: (58P) - 21G 37A in 64 matches.
Brayden Point: (57P) - 24G 33A in 67 matches.
Seth Jones: (56P) - 14G 42A in 61 matches.

EDIT: It's the endstanding of the regular season since WHL are getting ready for the playoffs. Lipsberg got very close in the end but Bjørkstrand took both points and scoring while Seth Jones took the rookie assist crown. For Portland Winterhawks Oliver Bjørkstrand and Seth Jones became co-winner(s) rookie(s) of the year.

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Lipsberg got close indeed to Bjørkstrand's scoring with that bunch.

Rookies in WHL.....point and scoring getting tight again.
Oliver Bjørkstrand: (63P) - 31G 32A in 65 matches.
Roberts Lipsberg: (58P) - 30G 28A in 64 matches.
Leon Draisaitl: (58P) - 21G 37A in 64 matches.
Brayden Point: (57P) - 24G 33A in 67 matches.
Seth Jones: (56P) - 14G 42A in 61 matches.

It`s really neck and neck race :laugh: like Bjorkstrand and Lipsbergs constantly trying to one-up oneanother :laugh:

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
WHL

Edgars Kulda 1+2 tonight for Edmonton Oil Kings

Total 6 games 2+4, has really started to shine in play-offs

Lipsbergs' season is over, play-offs 7 games 3+4 pretty sure he gets drafted

QMJHL

Jevpalovs with 2 goals tonight, total 6 games 2+2

Both Edmonton and Blainville-Boisbriand are good teams so I hope one of them reaches Memorial Cup

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Bjorkstrand is safe from Lipsbergs who's out of the race but in play-offs Kulda hs stepped up his game and guess who's nr.2 in top rookies in play-offs. A Latvian again:

1. Oliver Bjorkstrand 10 games 5+8= 13 points
2. Edgars Kulda 9 games 2+7= 9 points

Of course now Bjorkstrand's lead is a big one but funny how the competition is still Latvian... Plus Kulda is of the ''right'' draft year unlike overager Lipsbergs (though Kulda's just late 94 too).

In QMJHL perhaps with less glamour but still Nikita Jevpalovs is 7th among rookies with 9 games and 2+5 = 7 points.

Both Kulda's Edmonton and Jevpalovs' Blainville-Boisbriand look pretty great so far, so I hope at least one of these teams makes it to the Memorial Cup.

I hope that recent success of Latvian draftees in CHL will help future Latvians also get into the league and show their skill. Couple of 95s like Bukarts, Golovkovs and/or Homjakovs could also be very potent. In any case 94s show that it is indeed offensively probably the most talented year Latvia has ever produced and it is a shame we're not in WJC next year.

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Bjorkstrand is safe from Lipsbergs who's out of the race but in play-offs Kulda hs stepped up his game and guess who's nr.2 in top rookies in play-offs. A Latvian again:

Of course now Bjorkstrand's lead is a big one but funny how the competition is still Latvian... Plus Kulda is of the ''right'' draft year unlike overager Lipsbergs (though Kulda's just late 94 too).

In QMJHL perhaps with less glamour but still Nikita Jevpalovs is 7th among rookies with 9 games and 2+5 = 7 points.

Both Kulda's Edmonton and Jevpalovs' Blainville-Boisbriand look pretty great so far, so I hope at least one of these teams makes it to the Memorial Cup.

I hope that recent success of Latvian draftees in CHL will help future Latvians also get into the league and show their skill. Couple of 95s like Bukarts, Golovkovs and/or Homjakovs could also be very potent. In any case 94s show that it is indeed offensively probably the most talented year Latvia has ever produced and it is a shame we're not in WJC next year.

It`s the never ending Latvian-Danish rivalry :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Yeah I have to agree that is quite funny. It's also remarkable that Kulda is in front of Seth Jones that has 10 games 2+6 = 8 points and Lipsberg currently is 4'th with his 7 games 3+4 = 7 points among rookies.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't be surprised if Kulda is a 7th round pick this year. Teams tend to take chances on guys who are playing in their first year in NA and turn up their play during playoff time. It shows their true potential and that they can elevate their game to that next level.

It's nice to see Latvian hockey improving so quickly. So many good, young players coming through the system and trying to make the NHL. The Latvian national team is going to jump up in the IIHF rankings in the next few years with all the young guns they have.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I wouldn't be surprised if Kulda is a 7th round pick this year. Teams tend to take chances on guys who are playing in their first year in NA and turn up their play during playoff time. It shows their true potential and that they can elevate their game to that next level.

It's nice to see Latvian hockey improving so quickly. So many good, young players coming through the system and trying to make the NHL. The Latvian national team is going to jump up in the IIHF rankings in the next few years with all the young guns they have.

...By the Winnipeg Jets and Kulda brothers will get to play together on one team :D one can dream ,right?

I agree that Latvian hockey is improving steadily,but it needs a bit more support from the Latvian goverment and Latvian Hockey Federation for it to really kickoff.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Girgensons with a goal in AHL,way to go Girg,keep it up! now has 58gp 6g 11a 17p,pretty good for a 18/19 first rookie season in AHL.

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Is there any chance that Guntis Galvins moves from Riga to the NHL this offseason? I saw him in the WC last season and was pretty impressed with his play. His stats also reflect a competent two-way defender.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Is there any chance that Guntis Galvins moves from Riga to the NHL this offseason? I saw him in the WC last season and was pretty impressed with his play. His stats also reflect a competent two-way defender.

NHL? probably not,other KHL club,more likely.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga

This season wasn't that good to him (then again for whom in Dinamo, aside from Indrašis this was a good season)? I head that he's wants to get out of his deal with Dinamo and go abroad, so who knows. Maybe other Russian club, maybe AHL/NHL. Last year he was really good and we thought if he continues like that aftr this season he might go top KHLs top 8 or over the pond, but the season wasn't as good as expected, a lot of criticism from the fans and I guess he wants to change something in his carrer

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
What NHL? Have everyone lost their marbles?

There are worse players that have been there. I'll admit this season's Galviņš doesn't quite fit the profile but if he can give a season like the one before this, why not? At least for a couple of games. Kulda and Bārtulis have been there and, as far as last season and WC goes, I didn't see much difference comparing Galvins and Bārtulis... Needs a few more kilos and return to his best play.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
There are worse players that have been there. I'll admit this season's GalviņÅ¡ doesn't quite fit the profile but if he can give a season like the one before this, why not? At least for a couple of games. Kulda and Bārtulis have been there and, as far as last season and WC goes, I didn't see much difference comparing Galvins and Bārtulis... Needs a few more kilos and return to his best play.
He won't won't make out of the AHL alive and no one will give him a one-way deal or guarantee him any games. This is reality.

And I'll also allow myself to disagree with the notion that Bartulis isn't a better player. Yes, Bartulis could do better, but arguably half of his potential is of no use, because of European refereeing. Same actually goes for Kulda.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
He won't won't make out of the AHL alive and no one will give him a one-way deal or guarantee him any games. This is reality.

And I'll also allow myself to disagree with the notion that Bartulis isn't a better player. Yes, Bartulis could do better, but arguably half of his potential is of no use, because of European refereeing. Same actually goes for Kulda.
Of course nobody talking about one-way deals here.

You sure about ''not getting out alive"? From this season:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jysY8NC9b8Q

or nr.5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4Wb6fbWFL0c

He is not one of the players who'd be afraid of physical game

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Of course nobody talking about one-way deals here.

You sure about ''not getting out alive"? From this season:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jysY8NC9b8Q

or nr.5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4Wb6fbWFL0c

He is not one of the players who'd be afraid of physical game

Just, watch him play along the boards, he is useless and easily overpowered in scrums. I've seen really solid hits from Nizivijs as well, but it doesn't mean he would have any impact on that grindfest that is AHL.

We can think differently about his physicality, but I can't see the value in him that would make him attractive to NHL GM's. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad