Latest on the Arizona Coyotes Arena ordeal

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
It's asinine to me that an NHL team plays in an arena with less capacity than its own AHL affiliate. They should have just spent the money years ago to renovate the Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum until they can get their you-know-what together for a new arena.

In the current situation, they really just need to cut their losses and move to Houston/SLC. I would love to see the Coyotes thrive in AZ (their 2012 playoff run was awesome!), but it just seems like nobody wants them there.
I agree, it's a joke. No team should have to play in an arena smaller than their AHL affiliate.

Columbus should get relocated immediately since Nationwide Arena is smaller than their AHL affiliate's arena (Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse).

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I agree, it's a joke. No team should have to play in an arena smaller than their AHL affiliate.

Columbus should get relocated immediately since Nationwide Arena is smaller than their AHL affiliate's arena (Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse).

That might be the straw-iest strawman there ever was.

Congratulations! :laugh:

You know exactly what he meant, too.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
How am I wrong, the NHL owned the team for like 4 years. From 2009 - 2013? Your telling me they would have kept ownership if they had a viable owner willing to buy them?
First, you used a comma where a question mark should be. Second, you used a question mark where a period belongs. Finally, you used "your" instead of "you're"

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No, I'm not reading a massive article. And I quote from the Arizona Coyotes Wikipedia page.

"The team was unstable under earlier ownership. The NHL took over the Phoenix Coyotes franchise in 2009, when then-owner Jerry Moyes gave up the team after filing for bankruptcy. The NHL maintained control of the franchise until 2013 when they found new ownership willing to keep it in Arizona. "

It took 4 years to find an owner to keep the team in Arizona. I want the Coyotes to work, it's a big market and could thrive. But the NHL very clearly has given them more rope than any other franchise they've ever moved.

If you choose to remain ignorant, that's a you problem

When there’s nothing in place it’s not temporary.

That's not how that works

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yes it is. They’ve been there two years now and have no plan in place to build a new arena. This isn’t a temporary thing. This is their home.
You need to read up on the current situation. This is false. This is a temporary thing, whether it's ultimately good news, or bad news, for Yotes fans.

Reactions: DaveG and Chaos2k7

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yes it is. They’ve been there two years now and have no plan in place to build a new arena. This isn’t a temporary thing. This is their home.

And they're actively planning to build a new arena to move into as soon as they can. Temporary.

Reactions: DaveG

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
And they're actively planning to build a new arena to move into as soon as they can. Temporary.

The problem is that Meruelo's plans are having difficulty in landing on Planet Reality. If I had to bet, it would be that the NHL is finally ready to pull the plug and move the Yotes elsewhere, and also that the NHL has an eye on alternative cities, although of course the NHL will not do anything overtly until Meruelo either finally succeeds or fails. Too many stories like this creeping into the news lately:

Although losing the Phoenix market hurts, the other owners are probably looking at this from the perspective that they can cash checks from the relocation fee and then in a decade cash another whopping check for a new Phoenix expansion team should an investor group appear with a real stadium deal and by that time probably a $1.5B check.

But Meruelo has to finally face-plant on his latest stadium plan before anybody will do anything in the open, lest they be accused by Meruelo of undermining him.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The problem is that Meruelo's plans are having difficulty in landing on Planet Reality. If I had to bet, it would be that the NHL is finally ready to pull the plug and move the Yotes elsewhere, and also that the NHL has an eye on alternative cities, although of course the NHL will not do anything overtly until Meruelo either finally succeeds or fails. Too many stories like this creeping into the news lately:

Too many stories where people who don't know what's going on see a headline and then decide to write their own headline, and people like you who don't know what's going on see their headline, and pretend to know what's going on?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
@klefbombs shoulder
Think whatever you want.
Make any assumptions you want as long as you feel better by doing so, i am Happy.

And where am i guarding anything? I explicitly state that i don't care.

But yeah you do you and think whatever you want. Have a Nice day.
You explicitly state you don't care, while continuing to tell other people that they should feel the same as you do. That's a pretty fruitless exercise. People can care about what they want to care about and they really don't owe you any explanation. If you want to discuss the arena issue cool. If you don't want to discuss the arena issue, cool. But going around telling other people they shouldn't care seems a bit much imho.

Last edited:
Reactions: MessierII

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Too many stories where people who don't know what's going on see a headline and then decide to write their own headline, and people like you who don't know what's going on see their headline, and pretend to know what's going on?
Said that it was "my bet", i.e., my speculation. Nobody here knows what is really going on so its all just speculation, and anybody who claims to know what is going on is full of poo.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Said that it was "my bet", i.e., my speculation. Nobody here knows what is really going on so its all just speculation, and anybody who claims to know what is going on is full of poo.

Plenty of people actually do know what's going on here to a much greater extent than most in this thread who have actively displayed a desire to remain ignorant on the topic.

On this page alone I have had someone tell me they refuse to read a paragraph on the topic because they just don't want to, and another person tell me Mullett arena isn't temporary.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Never give up. Never surrender. Don't let your dreams be dreams.
2a30mc.jpg

• Love
Reactions: tfwnogf
Dec 15, 2002
The problem is that Meruelo's plans are having difficulty in landing on Planet Reality. If I had to bet, it would be that the NHL is finally ready to pull the plug and move the Yotes elsewhere
The NHL isn't pulling the plug and moving the Yotes anywhere, unless Meruelo hands them the franchise or defaults on obligations to the league and the league calls in the franchise as a result. In that case, the league will find an interested party who has the rights to a suitable arena / has "shovel in the dirt" plans for a new arena, and sell the team with the right to relocate it.

Anything beyond that? It's Meruelo's problem to figure out.

Reactions: Summer Rose

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Lol, actively planning to build an arena. The arena should've been built 2-3 years ago. It's too late to start thinking about where the closest toilet is if you've already shit your pants.

If they couldn't build a new arena before, what makes anyone believe they'll now magically get a new arena deal in place? It's not that far fetched that a deal might take 2-3 years to be in place and then another 2-3 years for construction. I mean it could take 5-6 years before they might have a new arena built. This is why you need a plan before shit hits the fan and not after.

Reactions: Advanced stats

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
good for the yotes, hope they never leave arizona. nhl wants the market, owner wants the market enough to buy land and build an arena without tax money from the community. games on antenna tv currently, 42 games in a hockeyville setting.

Dec 15, 2002
Lol, actively planning to build an arena. The arena should've been built 2-3 years ago. It's too late to start thinking about where the closest toilet is if you've already shit your pants.
The team should have a lot of things.

Not played in Footprint Center PHX Arena Talking Stick Report Arena US Airways Center America West Arena for 7 1/2 years. Not signed a deal that forfeited pretty much all in-arena revenues at AWA outside of tickets. Not had inept owners largely focused on real estate with the team thrown in. Not been sold to a more inept owner who was more focused on real estate. Not been dragged into bankruptcy. Not had another owner who burned bridges by skimping on paying bills. Not screwed the pooch with Glendale. Not spent much of the last 12 seasons mired in the bottom third of the league. Not had a GM who got the job because he knowz all about teh analytics! who was woefully incompetent and cost the team a 1st-round pick because he ignored rules re: physical testing of prospects. Lots of other stuff.

It's been a list of "everything you should not do when running a professional organization" and some of that stuff still would have happened if the team had been in Hamilton, or Quebec City, or Hartford, or Houston, or Salt Lake City, or anywhere else. Location wouldn't have fixed gross incompetence, which has plagued the organization for way too long.

Reactions: pekka55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad