Last of the no visor breed

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
If players don't want to wear a visor or helmet they shouldn't have to wear a visor or helmet
If you get paid millions of dollars, you do what your employer tells you to do.

And players would be extremely stupid to look at history and science and how many players brains became mush by not wearing a helmet, and then decide to go out there without a helmet.

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
Blame the NHLPA not the league. They agreed to it and so it was actually voted on by the players.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah losing players to injuries for absolutely no reason is just great. Since when does any "employee" get to do whatever they want?
It's also a performance based job, where you can lose it all. This puts huge pressure on players to do whatever they can to compete. Risk going blind for a slight edge in play? Is the a choice with those kinds of careers and money on the line?

Absolutely the NHL should have safety standards. Next get rid of hard plastic pieces on shoulders and elbows. Would make more sense to have those on areas that receive hits and face pucks, like your chest, upper arms, and back, than those that give hits, like your shoulders and elbows.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
It's also a performance based job, where you can lose it all. This puts huge pressure on players to do whatever they can to compete. Risk going blind for a slight edge in play? Is the a choice with those kinds of careers and money on the line?

Absolutely the NHL should have safety standards. Next get rid of hard plastic pieces on shoulders and elbows. Would make more sense to have those on areas that receive hits and face pucks, like your chest, upper arms, and back, than those that give hits, like your shoulders and elbows.
Exactly, and for the sake a visor that has no impact on performance, it's well worth it for force your multi million dollar "employees" to wear basic protection to protect that investment. I'm sure goalies said the same thing about wearing a mask way back in the day too.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Just watch, it'll be Rinaldo. Young enough, and dumb enough to go visorless after everyone else is wearing them. Don't think anyone would have predicted that Craig MacTavish would have been the last helmetless player the early 90s.
Rinaldo is a fringe NHLer and it's not certain he'll be having a spot in the league for that long. My guess would be Gudbranson.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Those silly construction workers with their silly hats.

Stupid policemen and their bulletproof vests.

Those football players being forced to wear helmets. What if they don't want one?

If they don't maybe they don't torpedo themselves with reckless abandon and actually tackle, which will lead to less catastrophic head injuries

Reactions: SwaggySpungo

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I was most surprised to see Adam McQuaid and Kyle Clifford switch to visors a couple years ago. Caught me off guard.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I don't think that there are any players on the Penguins anymore that go visor-less now that Reaves is gone to Vegas...

Hornqvist is the only player left on the Pens that warms up without his helmet (something I pay attention to each game I attend).

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
pretty sure ROR will be the last visor-less player (assuming he doesn't put one on)

shaw may be the youngest without one but guys who play that way usually don't have long careers

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Ooh good ol'days... Players freely skating and enjoying from freedom of such uncool, encumbering equipments. /sarcasm

Imagine a slapshot from current flex carbonfibre stick to an unprotected head.

I don't see any reasons to whine if player safety increases by better protective gear tech, and regulations to use that technology. It's both players' and franchises' benefit.

So F****** cool to lose your eyesight only because you didn't wear a visor, yeah!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If they don't maybe they don't torpedo themselves with reckless abandon and actually tackle, which will lead to less catastrophic head injuries

If construction workers don't wear helmets, maybe they will be safer on the job.

If we took seatbelts out of cars, maybe everyone will drive safer.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
To me helmets and visors should be mandatory. The safety of these players should trump everything else.
Well, in this case it doesn't even affect performance. It's not like we want players to carry around a full riot shield to block shots. For some reason when it comes to contact sports, some people use safety as a synonym for wuss. They act like visors are a step towards taking hitting and fighting out of the game. Hitting is an essential part of the game, you can't take out hitting without changing what the NHL is, having players wear a visor doesn't change anything except helping to protect a persons eyesight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad